Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What player do you/will you miss most?

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Chris Grant easily.
    Champion player and person.
    That he is - many times over.

Post Thanks / Like

Some compelling choices already listed...hard to argue with Granty, but for mine: the class, poise and scything left foot of Leon Cameron.

Though watching Gilbs ply his trade in similar fashion eases the pain, a little.

Post Thanks / Like

I WILL miss Scotty West more than any other from the team at the moment, but probably hard to go past the great man C.Grant for players recently departed

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant - has been so valuable over such a long period of time that its really hard to imagine the club without him, and hes always been so unselfish and brought his teammates into the game.

I missed Rohan Smith this year - anytime a great club man like that hangs up the boots its sad. West will be sorely missed when he goes. Wynd looked slow but was nonetheless a good pack mark around the ground and very good on the deck.

I am still bitter we got bugger all compensation for Tony McGuinness - who would have ended up one of our all time greats had he stayed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I am still bitter we got bugger all compensation for Tony McGuinness - who would have ended up one of our all time greats had he stayed
    We also lost the rights to Simon Tregenza who was a decent player for the Crows
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We also lost the rights to Simon Tregenza who was a decent player for the Crows
    Yep, and nothing for Kym Koster or Shane Ellen either

They were really trying to help us out of business in those days - we finished 2nd bottom to Fitzroy in 1996. Fitzroy merged with Brisbane and our first selection in the national draft was pick #10 - which we used on Nathan Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Yep, and nothing for Kym Koster or Shane Ellen either

They were really trying to help us out of business in those days - we finished 2nd bottom to Fitzroy in 1996. Fitzroy merged with Brisbane and our first selection in the national draft was pick #10 - which we used on Nathan Brown
    From memory we got Allen Jakovich, Brad Wira and Hugh Reimers in an exchange for a swap of draft pick and Koster
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I know i will miss Johnno allot. If he Grant and West played for Collingwood they would be huge (especially if Grant and West hadn't been robed at the brownlow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    From memory we got Allen Jakovich, Brad Wira and Hugh Reimers in an exchange for a swap of draft pick and Koster
    YES!!!! This has been bugging me for years. Can any one explain that years draft to me.
    Why didn't we end up with the number 2 pick? What were the machinations behind it all?

Post Thanks / Like

Grant is a no-brainer in this one, the best bulldog I've seen in my short lifetime. That's including Doug Hawkins.

But for me Rohan Smith is one that I'll always miss. Used to love his 60 metre running goals, and his goal celebrations were up there with the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Grant is a no-brainer in this one, the best bulldog I've seen in my short lifetime. That's including Doug Hawkins.

But for me Rohan Smith is one that I'll always miss. Used to love his 60 metre running goals, and his goal celebrations were up there with the best.
    And the way Smith and Johnson set each other up and then found each other in the celebrations. The trust that Johnno showed to Smith was highlighted by the fact that he didn't set up Acker in the square and took a snap from the boundary. I saw Johnno set up Smith when Smith was in a worse position

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    YES!!!! This has been bugging me for years. Can any one explain that years draft to me.
    Why didn't we end up with the number 2 pick? What were the machinations behind it all?
    We traded pick 13 to Freo for Brad Wira and Hugh Riemers
    We traded Kym Koster to Adelaide for pick 9
    We traded Ben Sexton to Carlton for James Cook
    We traded Luke Beveridge to St. Kilda for pick 52

We drafted:
    Pick 9 - Allen Jakovich
    Pick 29 - Todd Curley
    Pick 42 - Mark West
    Pick 52 - Tony Campbell

Father-Son pick - David Round

It sounds really bad using pick 9 on Jakovich but it's not really as bad as it seems.

Freo, Brisbane and Sydney had 16 pre-draft picks between them (mostly zone selections). Included were James Clement, Brett Voss, Danny Dickfos, Ben Mathews, Steven Koops and Gavin Mitchell.

Joel Bowden and Ben Cousins were other F/S selections that year.

Some guys taken after Jakovich include:

Simon Prestigicomo (pick 10)
    Scott Welsh (17)
    Barry Hall (19)
    Paul Licuria (24)
    Brent Harvey (46)
    Darren Milburn (47)

Clive Waterhouse went pick 1, Matthew Primus went pick 2, Jared Crouch went at 8. The rest of the top 10 you would have barely heard of and wouldn't have played 100 games between them (Brendon Krummel probably the next highest number of games).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    We traded pick 13 to Freo for Brad Wira and Hugh Riemers
    We traded Kym Koster to Adelaide for pick 9
    We traded Ben Sexton to Carlton for James Cook
    We traded Luke Beveridge to St. Kilda for pick 52

We drafted:
    Pick 9 - Allen Jakovich
    Pick 29 - Todd Curley
    Pick 42 - Mark West
    Pick 52 - Tony Campbell

Father-Son pick - David Round

It sounds really bad using pick 9 on Jakovich but it's not really as bad as it seems.

Freo, Brisbane and Sydney had 16 pre-draft picks between them (mostly zone selections). Included were James Clement, Brett Voss, Danny Dickfos, Ben Mathews, Steven Koops and Gavin Mitchell.

Joel Bowden and Ben Cousins were other F/S selections that year.

Some guys taken after Jakovich include:

Simon Prestigicomo (pick 10)
    Scott Welsh (17)
    Barry Hall (19)
    Paul Licuria (24)
    Brent Harvey (46)
    Darren Milburn (47)

Clive Waterhouse went pick 1, Matthew Primus went pick 2, Jared Crouch went at 8. The rest of the top 10 you would have barely heard of and wouldn't have played 100 games between them (Brendon Krummel probably the next highest number of games).
    Drafting was a very inexact science 10 years ago. As you said most of the top 10 that year did bugger all with their footy careers. Nowadays there is a lot more thought, planning and care taken with the draft. Recycled players generally don't get a look in until the 3rd round or so.

We were after a full forward that year and Jakovich was available, but a later pick probably would've been the way to go. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Palace03 Guest

After watching my highlights tape from 1998, it reminded me just how good the great man was. Strong, quick, skilful and tough, the perfect combination for a footballer.

Other than Granty, I miss watching Croft and Kretiuk, both gave their all every week and had to play on players they probably shouldn't have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Drafting was a very inexact science 10 years ago. As you said most of the top 10 that year did bugger all with their footy careers. Nowadays there is a lot more thought, planning and care taken with the draft. Recycled players generally don't get a look in until the 3rd round or so.

We were after a full forward that year and Jakovich was available, but a later pick probably would've been the way to go. Oh well, c'est la vie.
    What I want to know is if we hadn't taken Jakovich with our 1st round pick, who would have?

I can't imagine other clubs falling over each other to pick him up.