Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What player do you/will you miss most?

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    What I want to know is if we hadn't taken Jakovich with our 1st round pick, who would have?

I can't imagine other clubs falling over each other to pick him up.
    We moved up 3 positions to get in front of Collingwood. When we selected him they let out a loud sigh. I have an article on exactly how that draft day panned out for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We moved up 3 positions to get in front of Collingwood. When we selected him they let out a loud sigh. I have an article on exactly how that draft day panned out for us.
    Can you post it? I'd love to have a read.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post it? I'd love to have a read.
    I need to have a good look for it because I have moved a lot of things. It was the first I can remember a draft being detailed in such an open an honest manner.
    The plan was if someone else selected Jakovich we were going to select Groom as though he was the player we wanted anyway. The real effort was placing us ahead of the Pies.

Big pictures of Joyce and Kleiman and a couple of others as well.
    They always planned to get Curley, MWest and TCampbell in what was a very shallow draft.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to thank everyone for their replies here but my main question is unanswered.
    I don't understand why, after finishing 2nd last 1n 1996, we didn't get at least the number 2 pick in the national draft to start with.
    Can anyone enlighten me here?
    There is no record of us trading it or using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I'd like to thank everyone for their replies here but my main question is unanswered.
    I don't understand why, after finishing 2nd last 1n 1996, we didn't get at least the number 2 pick in the national draft to start with.

DD, I have been able to unearth some info, but it still doesn't make complete sense. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

Port Adelaide entered the competition in 1997 & there were various concessions available to them, for example they signed 4 players from other clubs as pre draft selections: Ian Downsborough (WCE), Gavin Wanganeen (Ess), Matthew Primus (Bris) & Adam Hueskas (Syd).

This meant these 4 clubs received the first 4 draft picks as compensation: Michael Gardiner (WCE), Chris Heffernan (Ess), Rory Hilton (Bris) & Mark Kinnear (Syd).

Port Adelaide then somehow received picks 6, 7 & 9 (bearing in mind they had received 29 pre draft selections also.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but as I said, someone may be able to fill in the gaps.

1 Michael Gardiner - West Coast - Claremont
    2 Chris Heffernan - Essendon - Geelong (U18)
    3 Rory Hilton - Brisbane - Murray (U18)
    4 Mark Kinnear - Sydney - Calder (U18)
    5 Daniel McAllister - Essendon - Tasmania (U18)
    6 John Rombotis - Port Adelaide - Fitzroy
    7 Bowen Lockwood - Port Adelaide - Geelong (U18)
    8 Leigh Brockman - Geelong - Tasmania (U18)
    9 Mark Harwood - Port Adelaide - Tasmania (U18)
    10 Nathan Brown -Western Bulldogs -Bendigo (U18)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    I'm not 100% sure but was the year that Port entered the competition? I think they were given a number of early picks that they traded away.

Post Thanks / Like

We traded pick 13 to Freo for Brad Wira and Hugh Riemers
    We traded Kym Koster to Adelaide for pick 9
    We traded Ben Sexton to Carlton for James Cook
    We traded Luke Beveridge to St. Kilda for pick 52.
    That's my cousins name. Why would we trade a Sexton? He must have been in our top 10.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's my cousins name. Why would we trade a Sexton? He must have been in our top 10.
    Trust me on this one. He wasn't.

From memory he kicked bags of 5 & 6 in rounds 21 & 22 of 1991(?). He really looked the goods as a leading FF, then it all went to shit. Ended up being played at FB and ended up playing about 30 games all up for us and another 3-4 at Carlton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    DD, I have been able to unearth some info, but it still doesn't make complete sense. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

Port Adelaide entered the competition in 1997 & there were various concessions available to them, for example they signed 4 players from other clubs as pre draft selections: Ian Downsborough (WCE), Gavin Wanganeen (Ess), Matthew Primus (Bris) & Adam Hueskas (Syd).

This meant these 4 clubs received the first 4 draft picks as compensation: Michael Gardiner (WCE), Chris Heffernan (Ess), Rory Hilton (Bris) & Mark Kinnear (Syd).

Port Adelaide then somehow received picks 6, 7 & 9 (bearing in mind they had received 29 pre draft selections also.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but as I said, someone may be able to fill in the gaps.

Port recieved 29 concession picks that year (all from the SANFL) to help them build their first team. Some of them were actually old enough to be drafted the previous year but did not nominate so the could stay in SA (ironically including our very own Nathan Eagleton and Geelong's Tom Harley. Warren Tredrea was another). Josh Francou and Brendon Lade had sat out a few earlier drafts.

Another 7 SANFL players were traded to various clubs before the draft. Port also made sure Stephen Paxman didn't nominate for the national draft but waited for the PSD so they could pick him up with pick 1 there. Sidenote - we took Paul Hudson with PSD pick 2.

The deal was that Port could sign 4 uncontracted players from other clubs, which they did - Wanganeen, Downsborough, Primus and Hueskas - and the clubs involved would get the first 4 picks of the open draft, in reverse ladder position, as compensation. WCE gave up Downsborough right at the death for the no. 1 pick when Port couldn't get a 4th uncontracted player to join them. Downsborough was lucky not to have already been delisted - good effort, WC!

Port were then given the next 5 draft picks. They traded their highest pick - pick 5 overall - to Essendon for Scott Cummings and their 4th pick - pick 8 overall - to Geelong for Shayne Breuer.

After the four compensation picks and Port's 5 picks we had the next pick, pick 10 - Nathan Brown.

Post Thanks / Like

Port recieved 29 concession picks that year (all from the SANFL) to help them build their first team. Some of them were actually old enough to be drafted the previous year but did not nominate so the could stay in SA (ironically including our very own Nathan Eagleton and Geelong's Tom Harley. Warren Tredrea was another). Josh Francou and Brendon Lade had sat out a few earlier drafts.

Another 7 SANFL players were traded to various clubs before the draft. Port also made sure Stephen Paxman didn't nominate for the national draft but waited for the PSD so they could pick him up with pick 1 there. Sidenote - we took Paul Hudson with PSD pick 2.

The deal was that Port could sign 4 uncontracted players from other clubs, which they did - Wanganeen, Downsborough, Primus and Hueskas - and the clubs involved would get the first 4 picks of the open draft, in reverse ladder position, as compensation. WCE gave up Downsborough right at the death for the no. 1 pick when Port couldn't get a 4th uncontracted player to join them. Downsborough was lucky not to have already been delisted - good effort, WC!

Port were then given the next 5 draft picks. They traded their highest pick - pick 5 overall - to Essendon for Scott Cummings and their 4th pick - pick 8 overall - to Geelong for Shayne Breuer.

After the four compensation picks and Port's 5 picks we had the next pick, pick 10 - Nathan Brown.
    THANKYOU Sockeye for clearing that up. Dogs ripped off again. Though Nathan Brown, as much as I loath him, was pretty handy at number 10.

Palace03 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    It didn't really matter in the end, we got the best player in the top 10 anyway. This sort of thing will happen again if there is a 17th team, atleast there will be no tanking the year prior to the new team entering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Palace03 View Post
    It didn't really matter in the end, we got the best player in the top 10 anyway. This sort of thing will happen again if there is a 17th team, atleast there will be no tanking the year prior to the new team entering.
    17th team? The AFL are dreaming there. Might be a growing area but the competition isn't right at the moment. Bring in a 17th team in an place which is essentially a tourist area and rugby strong hold is pretty stupid. They said it just to bluff North.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    17th team? The AFL are dreaming there. Might be a growing area but the competition isn't right at the moment. Bring in a 17th team in an place which is essentially a tourist area and rugby strong hold is pretty stupid. They said it just to bluff North.
    Then they're in trouble. North just threw some chips in and said "call".