Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Revamping the forward line

Losing Stewart Crameri will pose a lot of difficulties for us this year. He's been a steady forward and he causes match up problems for opposition defenders plus he had the uncanny knack of standing up when other forwards were struggling.
    He played 18 games and kicked 32 goals (and 21 behinds) which is better than 2 goals a game.

On top of losing Crameri, Jarrad Grant played 19 games last season for us in a mixture of forward and midfield duties and he kicked 11 goals (and 14 behinds).

To keep the scoreboard ticking over and to maintain the momentum we thrived on last season that's basically 45 goals we have to replace.

Here is some of the other challenges we face with losing Crameri:

Tory Dickson had an outstanding season kicking 50 goals, If he was on the oppositions radar after that effort he will now command better defenders than what he otherwise might have enjoyed if Crameri was still in the team.

If we assume Dickson might struggle a bit to beat last seasons heroics how do we generate enough goals or scoring opportunities in 2016? He could also easily struggle with just the level of goal kicking accuracy he enjoyed last year.

If we assume Stringer repeats last seasons efforts or even improves a bit, it still leaves a decent gap that our midfielders might not be able to cover.

Can Tom Boyd and/or Jack Redpath step up?
    Will it be Adcock and/or McLean that becomes consistent goals scorers for us?
    Or could it be a move forward for Webb or even Adams?

How do we set-up our forward line this season and can it be as potent as 2015?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Revamping the forward line

No direct replacement for Crameri. As GVG has mentioned, he will be a big loss.

I would initially replace him with a small (Adcock, McLean or Daniel). Adcock would be my first choice due to physical maturity. I think the real replacement though, will come through extra midfield rotations due to interchange cap. Wallis and Stevens are suited to bullocking style and Bonts offers us height.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see our forward line start something like this:-

CHF: Dahlhaus, Redpath, Suckling
    FF: Dickson, Boyd, Stringer

Our big goal kickers are likely to again be Stringer and Dickson. We will need more impact from both Boyd and Redpath. We're then going to need consistent goals from the midfielders and others who rotate through, including Dahlhaus, Suckling, Wallis, Bontempelli, Stevens, Jong, Hunter, Honeychurch, McLean, Dale etc.

I actually wonder whether a guy like Stevens could spend a lot more time forward with Crameri out? He's a good mark, he's tough, strong and fit. Whilst he was missed during the latter part of the season, our midfield held up OK without him.

4. Thanks Ghost Dog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stevens likes a goal and can take a contested mark and has considerable experience in midfield rotations.

Alternatively, the Crameri contretemps may provide extra incentive to get Big Jack Redpath moving it as a CHF with Toyd at FF.

There could be room for both Stevens and Redpath in the forward line.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Our big goal kickers are likely to again be Stringer and Dickson. We will need more impact from both Boyd and Redpath. We're then going to need consistent goals from the midfielders and others who rotate through, including Dahlhaus, Suckling, Wallis, Bontempelli, Stevens, Jong, Hunter, Honeychurch, McLean, Dale etc.

I actually wonder whether a guy like Stevens could spend a lot more time forward with Crameri out? He's a good mark, he's tough, strong and fit. Whilst he was missed during the latter part of the season, our midfield held up OK without him.
    It just doesn't look as potent as last season unless Boyd and Redpath can contribute around 30 goals each this season.
    I can see Dahlhaus and Wallis rotating through the middle and this could be a good option for us as both can score goals.
    I wonder with the return of Liberatore if Bontempelli spends a bit more time forward?
    Jong kicks goals as well

We have plenty of depth but there is still a lot of questions I'm not sure of the answers.

I tend to agree with Rocco that we need Adcock as a HFF.

Post Thanks / Like

I think with the different rotation requirements this year, we will have 2 midfielders rotating through the forwardline. 1 rotation will essentially cover the Crameri role (including Bont, Wallis, Stevens and Jong when in the team), whilst a second rotation will take on more of a small forward type role and will include Dahlhaus, Maclean and Daniel when in the side, all spending varying times in the middle or forward.

Those I can see being predominantly forward are Stringer, Dickson and Boyd. Still not convinced about Redpath in there as well, but if he can display significantly improved mobility and endurance over the preseason, I can see a half forward role for him also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post

Bob Murphy is an ideal candidate for the forward line. Opposition coaches have often noted he's a difficult match up.
    In addition I think he needs to begin getting ready to relinquish his defence role from time to time so others can get experience. So I would move Bob to the forward line.
    Bevo makes any changes he thinks fit, so would not be surprised to see something like this.
    Bob, Suckling and Caleb Daniels to cover the 50 mentioned in the opening. Daniels must step up - will become our Eddie Betts.
    Like the mention of Koby Stevens forward as well. Has the right mongrel to be given the task " Look mate, we need 20 goals out of you this season, go to it" and he will give it his all.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I think the recruiting of Suckling effectively covers everything and more that Grant provided.

Additionally, I would see Boyd coming in to cover the loss of Crameri, effectively giving us Boyd/Redpath for Crameri/Redpath we had late in the year.

While the worry with that is mobility, I still see it as an effective option.

The other consideration is that all of Boyd/Redpath/Dickson/Stringer are at age/experience positions that should see a net improvement from them in 2016.

When you also consider that Bont/Macrae are also in that age/experience metric and we are adding Libba back in the mix we are looking ok from a manpower perspective in the forward and midfield area.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming Boyd, Wood, Biggs, Prudden, Webb, Dale, Suckling, Cordy, Dunkley and anyone else can fulfill the role off the back flanks...

Then Bob Murphy to the forward line.

With Stevens, Libba & possibly Smith back, Dahl spending a bit more time forward. Rest Roughead down there too.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I love the idea of Bob forward, however whoever we replace him with off half back, will not have his poise or his exquisite decision making and delivery. I think he will pinch hit forward, but still predominantly be a half back flanker because what he offers off back is just too valuable.

Post Thanks / Like

The beauty of recruiting Suckling and Adcock is it gives more options in defence and attack which in turn allows us to rotate blokes as we see fit. The increased options means at various times we will see Murph, Suckling and Adcock forward or back on top of our midfielders who will rotate through the forward line. Liking the flexibility which helps us cover the loss of Crameri.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good thread/discussion point.

I guess with Grant's limitations aerobically, he may have been seen as a liability with a constraint on rotations and no sub in 2016.

He would have been good for 20-25 goals as a permanent forward most likely - providing his form as a permanent forward didn't track as it has throughout his career.

The coaching panel will mix it up, as others have said there's no direct replacement and we'll just have to rely on a number of midfielders chipping in.

Post Thanks / Like

Koby Stevens as a forward will work. As others have said, he's a strong mark. He also has a history of kicking multiple goals (six games of 2+ goals and two games with 3+ goals).

Something to consider with Murphy, Adcock and Suckling is their versatility. They can play forward or back and Bevo will be able to tactically exploit that.

I am not too concerned about losing Crameri, as one player can replace him (whoever that may be). What the issue will be is if we're unfortunate to lose other players. The compounding effect will be challenging if we were to lose three or four players.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I think the recruiting of Suckling effectively covers everything and more that Grant provided.
    Suckling kicked 15 goals (and 15 behinds) in 25 games fro the Hawks so it's a fair cover but I'm not sure how he will perform with us. I don't quite see him in the best 18 but I'm sure he will be given his chances.

Post Thanks / Like

I would hope for more from McLean, Dale and Boyd. Especially McLean with a good run of injuries.

I can see a lot of attempts to isolate Stringer, Bont, Tory and Boyd forward as they are all tricky match ups one out. I can't see why Tory needs to do anything different to be able to kick plenty of goals. He was heavily defended last year but only needs a few kicks every week to kick multiple goals. I think he will be fitter again this year too.