Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Revamping the forward line

Where do we see Hrovat having the best influence? I would say he is an attacking midfield type like Dahl, Daniel, Bont etc.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Where do we see Hrovat having the best influence? I would say he is an attacking midfield type like Dahl, Daniel, Bont etc.
    I think in an ideal world for him, Hrovat would get a fair bit of time in the centre. Sadly for him, that just ain't gonna happen in the short term. Hopefully he can find a way to impact games more as a small forward and win his way into more midfield rotations, in the manner of a Dahlhaus or a Hunter. Not an easy task though, with Libba, Wallis, Bont, Dahl, Hunter, Picken, Stevens, Macrae, Maclean, Daniel, Jong and others ahead in the race for midfield time.

With Dunkley making a really strong early impression by all reports, youngsters Dale and Webb looking bigger and stronger and experienced recruits Suckling and Adcock looking for mid/flanker roles, competition is going to be very intense for any role that involves midfield time.

Post Thanks / Like

One player who hasn't been mentioned much in this thread is Bailey Dale.

He was consistently playing the 'Up & back' role in the VFL team last season and had a number of games with 20+ touches and multiple goals, but couldn't quite translate that form into the AFL team. With another pre-season under his belt and a bit more meat on his bones, he could be one to make strides in 2016.

4. Likes azabob, bulldogtragic, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Was it against Sydney he took two strong contested marks and two goals to start the game?

The other one could be Roberts, if Hamling, Adams, Collins & Morris are sufficient enough to play defensive talls.
    Hamling is another who can play forward and who has kicked bags of goals with Geelong in the VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Adams has played forward and is a great mark and a good kick. It would be a dream if he could perform at CHF.
    I have this feeling with Adams that he will be a good VFL player but..... I hope I'm wrong with this one!

Post Thanks / Like

Lin Jong, maybe not discussed much, but took a great grab and goal in the final series and showed he can stand up when needed. In terms of speed, height, (185cm to Jong 188) and aggression, maybe the most 'Crameri-like' replacement we have. Averaging 19 possessions in senior footy is pretty good.

Nickname: "Mr September" ( WB site )
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I think in an ideal world for him, Hrovat would get a fair bit of time in the centre. Sadly for him, that just ain't gonna happen in the short term. Hopefully he can find a way to impact games more as a small forward and win his way into more midfield rotations, in the manner of a Dahlhaus or a Hunter. Not an easy task though, with Libba, Wallis, Bont, Dahl, Hunter, Picken, Stevens, Macrae, Maclean, Daniel, Jong and others ahead in the race for midfield time.

With Dunkley making a really strong early impression by all reports, youngsters Dale and Webb looking bigger and stronger and experienced recruits Suckling and Adcock looking for mid/flanker roles, competition is going to be very intense for any role that involves midfield time.
    Yes it will become increasingly tough for him and Clay Smith as well with so many midfield options as it is. Must be so frustrating for Clay but I wish him the best and hope when he does return he does well. I posted before but what about forward options PP from the Footscray VFL that could play at senior level? Who may be of interested there to get more games in the AFL?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Lin Jong, maybe not discussed much, but took a great grab and goal in the final series and showed he can stand up when needed. In terms of speed, height, (185cm to Jong 188) and aggression, maybe the most 'Crameri-like' replacement we have. Averaging 19 possessions in senior footy is pretty good.

Nickname: "Mr September" ( WB site )
    Good call, I think he could be a player who might be able to kick 20 goals in a season,
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good call, I think he could be a player who might be able to kick 20 goals in a season,
    For a player who has work to do on his field kicking, his set shot routine is quite reliable.

Given his burst speed, I still think his best value will be around the stoppages, but he's proven he can be effective in the forward half, so hopefully it's something we see more of with the reduced rotations.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to be a tough gig finding between 30-40 goals in Crameri's absence.

I am thinking McLean and Boyd can slot in and offer us something, they've got the talent to take us some of the way there. Wally up fwd more often with Libba back in the team might see him go a little bit further.

JJ, Suckling and Biggs off the HBF might offer us a few more long goals on the run.

Post Thanks / Like

As Woofers have been noting in this and other threads, we have a lot of different weapons in our armoury going into 2016. One thing that is highly likely is that players ranked 23-38 will have about 7-8 senior games each on average. Plenty of opportunities for just about the entire list.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Crameri is a massive loss, nevertheless, on his form in the second half of 2015, nearly as bad a loss as Libba jnr in 2015.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Crameri is a massive loss, nevertheless, on his form in the second half of 2015, nearly as bad a loss as Libba jnr in 2015.
    He did get dropped or at least played some VFL at some point though didn't he? We were winning without him then from memory.

Post Thanks / Like

JJ although love his breaking of the lines from D50 could really see him as another forward weapon with his pace off the mark for hit up leads(from Murph ) and with his ability to spring off the ground with his vertical leap.

Post Thanks / Like

Really like the ideas here from woofers. Interesting with JJ. I would prefer to have his run of half back. If we decided to play Murph as a forward option who woukd take his job down back? Possibly Hamling or Biggs. But we'd also miss his influence down there.