Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aker Re-Hash

Post Thanks / Like

Aker Re-Hash

Ok, bringing back an old issue and wanting to clarify something.

1st) Last I heard, Braun was going to sue Aker and Channel 7 over the drug allegations, but i have heard nothing since, anybody else know whats going on?

2nd) In one of Aker's articles earlier this year, he talked about having players names on the back of the shirt. What are your views on that?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aker Re-Hash

Who really knows. My guess is that Braun and Ch7 will settle this and Aker has nothing to answer anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I think BB is right, it's surely a matter between Ch7 & Braun. Aker never named a player or a club.

It looks good on the back of the soccer shirts in the EPL with names on them. Not too sure it would work with the AFL to be honest. Not too sure why I say that, just a gut feel. I think if there was that space available Eddie & Co. would rather sell advertising there.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Braun will sue about the same time Fletcher shows everyone his toxicology report.

They will both quietly let it slide and hope no-one raises it again.

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't Aka's fault that ASADA leaked Braun's name. He did everything right except have a good reputation before hand so people assume he has done wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Braun will sue about the same time Fletcher shows everyone his toxicology report.

They will both quietly let it slide and hope no-one raises it again.
    My thoughts exactly.

Post Thanks / Like

Sockeye's right.
    Anything that could possibly put the word's West Coast Eagles and drugs together in the headlines again will be strenuously avoided, at least by the club and players.

As for names on jumpers, I hate the idea, and that's putting it mildly. It looks alright on other sports jerseys but on footy jumpers it just doesn't seem to work. Don't know if it's because the numbers are larger & too high on the rear of the jumper compared to soccer or NFL but I really don't like it. I think it's pointless apart from on tv (who'd be able to read them at games?) and that's what commentators should be for. I stress the word should.

I'm glad Aker plays for us but I'm still not sure he should be allowed to use his mouth for anything apart from eating and breathing.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post

I'm glad Aker plays for us but I'm still not sure he should be allowed to use his mouth for anything apart from eating and breathing.

Atleast he adds some interest to the game and has a bit of character about himself. There are quite a few dead-heads amongst the AFL's elite who are dead-set boring. It's refreshing that not all the players are robots and some aren't frightened to speak there mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with you Mantis.

Its good to see some Frankness in football, and to see that some players are speaking there mind as opposed to pre-prepared, politically correct opinions to suit sponsors/coaches/supporters etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Atleast he adds some interest to the game and has a bit of character about himself. There are quite a few dead-heads amongst the AFL's elite who are dead-set boring. It's refreshing that not all the players are robots and some aren't frightened to speak there mind.
    I agree to a point. I'm all for frankness. I loved Griff's innocent comments about Richmond after the game where we beat them by over 100 points in Rd 1 last year. Although he'll never do it again after the club had a word to him, which is sad.
    I just think that for every candid, interesting thing he says Aker manages about 5 silly things. I mean the drugs column was really stupid and the blowback from it ended up hurting him I think more than he may realise. I'm all for players saying what they think as long as they do think first.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I agree to a point. I'm all for frankness. I loved Griff's innocent comments about Richmond after the game where we beat them by over 100 points in Rd 1 last year. Although he'll never do it again after the club had a word to him, which is sad.
    I just think that for every candid, interesting thing he says Aker manages about 5 silly things. I mean the drugs column was really stupid and the blowback from it ended up hurting him I think more than he may realise. I'm all for players saying what they think as long as they do think first.
    Underdog, what were Griff's Comments?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wimberga View Post
    Underdog, what were Griff's Comments?
    He claimed that they weren't trying. He was right!!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    He claimed that they weren't trying. He was right!!
    He said it seemed as though they weren't trying towards the end or words to that effect. As TCD said he was right.

After a few teammates had a bit of fun with him the next morning he was reminded that his remarks weren't particularly appropriate by the coach.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'll admit I hated Aker when he was at Brisbane, not just for his comments but also because I thought he was a show off, but I've grown to like him...his comments are often justified, just needs to learn when to stop.

As for Griffen's comments last year, the whole 'they gave up' thing, you can hardly deny it, I remember when someone was running into an open goal, Morgan was just out of the goal square and a Richmond player, Gaspar I think, was on him, and he just watched it, didn't even move, Morgan gave him hell for it too. Good game...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dales.girl38 View Post
    Yeah, I'll admit I hated Aker when he was at Brisbane, not just for his comments but also because I thought he was a show off, but I've grown to like him...his comments are often justified, just needs to learn when to stop.

As for Griffen's comments last year, the whole 'they gave up' thing, you can hardly deny it, I remember when someone was running into an open goal, Morgan was just out of the goal square and a Richmond player, Gaspar I think, was on him, and he just watched it, didn't even move, Morgan gave him hell for it too. Good game...
    That was the funniest game i have ever seen. Two drunk guys at the train station
    (richmond supporters) said next time N.Brown would break Johnno's leg and asked this old lady if she thought we would win the premiership. Ah happier times....