Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL Prospectus - Bont etc.

That AFL Prospectus makes some interesting observations on Bont. They state him to be 'the most underrated player in the competition' and particularly note his one on one record of 47% (double the AFL average and #3 in the competition, behind only Gary Ablett and Dustin Martin) and his metres gained of over 400 metres (the only inside mid in the competition to record this number, and the only one in the top 30 - others mostly outside bank flanker types).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Michael Talia

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    That AFL Prospectus makes some interesting observations on Bont. They state him to be 'the most underrated player in the competition' and particularly note his one on one record of 47% (double the AFL average and #3 in the competition, behind only Gary Ablett and Dustin Martin) and his metres gained of over 400 metres (the only inside mid in the competition to record this number, and the only one in the top 30 - others mostly outside bank flanker types).
    It's weird that he can be "the most underrated player in the competition" and be our best player and 11th best player in the AFL.

Post Thanks / Like

I found the most underrated comment a bit strong also. I think they mean that, as they rate him the 11th best player in the comp and best Bulldog, he doesn't get the wider plaudits that he should, however I think the comment is pretty heavy given he is widely recognised as a prodigious and elite talent.
    It begs the question: Who is the bigger talent, Bontempelli or Stringer? I'll go with Bontempelli because of the diversity of his talents, the effectiveness of them, an ability to play anywhere with a great work ethic and his potential: we ain't seen nothin' yet.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    It begs the question: Who is the bigger talent, Bontempelli or Stringer? I'll go with Bontempelli because of the diversity of his talents, the effectiveness of them, an ability to play anywhere with a great work ethic and his potential: we ain't seen nothin' yet.
    I certainly don't disagree, however it must be remembered that Stringer is still not at capacity due to the severe injury he copped as a 17 year old. He'll have a bigger engine this year - scary what he could be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post

I don't know but gee I'm looking forward to finding out!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Prospectus

I have moved these posts from the Talia thread as they are more deserving than anything posted on that particular ex player.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

7. Likes bornadog, N/A, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL Prospectus - Bont etc.

I have also had some dialogue with a guy who has modified the Player Ratings. They have used that for their own ratings on a website TipBetPro.

They rank Bonts well clear as the best up to 50 gamer with Stringer 2nd. Macrae would be top 5 except for just surpassing the milestone.

O'Meara and McGovern are the next players after Stringer in the sub 50 gamers.

That system suggests that Dahlhaus would be expected to peak over the next 5 years, while Dickson still has improvement but due to age his peak will be shorter.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but Stringer is a rock star. Clubs need them. Jake causes panic among defenders that brings others into the game. It's like apples and oranges.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, in the AFL prospectus, Champion Data rank Bulldogs as follows:

1- Bont
    2- Wood
    3- Murphy
    4- Dahlhaus
    5- Stringer
    6- M.Boyd
    7- MacRae
    8- Picken
    9- Wallis
    10- Crameri

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, in the AFL prospectus, Champion Data rank Bulldogs as follows:

1- Bont
    2- Wood
    3- Murphy
    4- Dahlhaus
    5- Stringer
    6- M.Boyd
    7- MacRae
    8- Picken
    9- Wallis
    10- Crameri
    Wow that is telling. They must have been paying attention. A lot of AFL supporters won't have witnessed Bont's full package and you'd think he'll become a star very soon. Wallis won me over this year, in fact I thought he might take the Charlie (Sutton, not Brownlow) but he obviously wasn't rated by others quite so much. WOOF rated him. I just thought he imposed his will on the game at telling times especially his goals but now I'm thinking the timing of his goals were a game plan thing.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Stringer's raw pace and explosiveness makes him so dangerous as a medium sized forward, and it brings something to the table the Bont doesn't quite have. It would be interesting to see what sort of numbers he could pull together playing more midfield time, and whether he was prepared to do the grinding work the likes of Bont and other tall inside mids do regularly to ensure balanced output.

I have a feeling Stringer would make a better midfielder, than Bont would a forward.

13. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Stringer's raw pace and explosiveness makes him so dangerous as a medium sized forward, and it brings something to the table the Bont doesn't quite have. It would be interesting to see what sort of numbers he could pull together playing more midfield time, and whether he was prepared to do the grinding work the likes of Bont and other tall inside mids do regularly to ensure balanced output.

I have a feeling Stringer would make a better midfielder, than Bont would a forward
    Still think that Gee?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Still think that Gee?
    Excuse me but around here we don't check post histories thank you very much.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Thanks jeemak, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes azabob, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read half this entire thread before realising it’s from 2016. Glad I held off messaging my mates about Bonts dominance in AFL prospectus until I reached the end...

Keen to see where he sits in those rankings now. Feel he might have lost a little pace and agility over the last couple of years.

19. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post