Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Up Player

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top Up Player

Poor old Crossy didn't have much luck with McCartney , gave him the flick from us, he goes to Melbourne and Macca turns up there and he is booted again, I think he would gladly come back to the dogs now that a new coach is there.
    I believe he will come back in a role at some stage, just let him get experience at other clubs, unlike Hird and Buckley who didn't see how other clubs operate therefore closing off successful ideas that other clubs have.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Poor old Crossy didn't have much luck with McCartney , gave him the flick from us, he goes to Melbourne and Macca turns up there and he is booted again, I think he would gladly come back to the dogs now that a new coach is there.
    I believe he will come back in a role at some stage, just let him get experience at other clubs, unlike Hird and Buckley who didn't see how other clubs operate therefore closing off successful ideas that other clubs have.
    Well he's learned some of the finer workings of the mighty Melbourne machine, that'd add heaps to our IP

Post Thanks / Like

I don't feel clubs that traded in Bombres players deserve top ups. Caveat emptor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Should Collingwood have been given permission to top up their list for Thomas and O'Keefe (or Saad at St.Kilda) for the duration of their infraction penalty rather than having to make a choice at season end to delist or retain them on their primary list ? Other than the scale of this Essendon mess, and by extension whether the Essendon Club should be even be viable for the 2016 season, I'm having some difficulty appreciating the difference in the treatment being afforded here.
    Great point you raise and yes there is massive inconsistencies in the way penalties are applied.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    That's a very long bow you are drawing but Macca is the convenient scapegoat.
    Could you imagine the vitriol if Macca's name, not Bevo, was linked to the East West day reschedule? He certainly wouldn't have been given the free pass that Bevo has.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That's a very long bow you are drawing but Macca is the convenient scapegoat.
    Could you imagine the vitriol if Macca's name, not Bevo, was linked to the East West day reschedule? He certainly wouldn't have been given the free pass that Bevo has.
    Bevo is very likeable and has won more games than Macca in his whole coaching career and taken us to finals only a few months ago. Everyone likes happy, successful and likeable winners. Human nature really. In my best Martin Luther King voice, I have a dream that one day that Maccas name won't be brought up on woof nor argued about 2015 form credit, legacy or on the content of his character in alienating almost every player on the list. I have a dream.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Tell him he's dreaming!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Bevo ....has won more games than Macca in his whole coaching career .
    Dead set? Wow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Dead set? Wow.
    Ok, a narrative Liberty. BMac 20 wins over 3 years at 30%, Bevo 14 wins in one year at over 60%.

With our first 7 games at Etihad, he could overtake BMac by round 7.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes bornadog, Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems that we will not have to pay Crameri's salary and we are asking for a Top up player. If we don't have to pay Crameri, maybe we can rewrite new frontended contracts for a few of the (significant) list of players that come out of contract at the end of the year.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/essendon-t...31-gmi4ai.html

12. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Seems that we will not have to pay Crameri's salary and we are asking for a Top up player. If we don't have to pay Crameri, maybe we can rewrite new frontended contracts for a few of the (significant) list of players that come out of contract at the end of the year.

That is a pretty good development for us. All in all, we have little to be aggrieved about. Hoping Stewie hits the ground running next year, renewed and rejuvinated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    That is a pretty good development for us. All in all, we have little to be aggrieved about. Hoping Stewie hits the ground running next year, renewed and rejuvinated.
    "Oh yeah that's right. We happen to be paying his entire contract payments this season. Stewie is playing for nothing the other three years. Oh well good luck for us I guess''
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

15. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    "Oh yeah that's right. We happen to be paying his entire contract payments this season. Stewie is playing for nothing the other three years. Oh well good luck for us I guess''
    Ha, that certainly would be a significant silver lining. That said, he must be on $400-500k minimum, that split up four or five ways in some creative, redrafted frontended contracts could get some players whose value has risen significantly (like Dickson) over the line while leaving us cap space down the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Personally, no club should have been given a top up, including Essendon. This would have been real punishment.
    I get your sentiments but it would mean the distinct possibility of Essendon not being able to field a full 22, which would be bad for the league. It would also mean forcing younger players who aren't ready for the weekly grind of AFL into playing each week, risking injury etc.

I don't believe we should get/need a top up. I believe Port should get one as it makes no sense for them to go in with less players than Essendon.

Post Thanks / Like

If we get a top up, I think we should go for a mature bodied mid. We have ruck and KPP 'depth' (quality is another issue). I guess another foot soldier couldn't hurt.