Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our greatest Moneyball selections

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    They did have the right picks, they just didn't rate him highly enough to choose him. They used pick 19 on Elliott Kavanagh and 31 on Jackson Merrett. We read the play correctly and they're Essendon. It's one of the reasons they haven't finished above 7th in 15 years
    And another reason why they won't get above 15th for 7 years.

It never tires me knowing they're certified drug cheats and their WorkSafe fine in some way makes it to our WorkSafe sponsorship.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They did have the right picks, they just didn't rate him highly enough to choose him. They used pick 19 on Elliott Kavanagh and 31 on Jackson Merrett. We read the play correctly and they're Essendon. It's one of the reasons they haven't finished above 7th in 15 years
    And the bolded bit is why they got desperate and sacked Knights with 2 years to run, brought in Golden Boy and cheated their arses off to try and get back to their 'rightful' place at the top of the ladder. I think they are at their rightful place now and will be for a long time, cheating scum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    From memory I think they had their evil eyes on The Bont as well until their draft picks were taken away?!?!

HEH HEH
    I know Collingwood were trying to get an earlier pick to get The Bont.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    And another reason why they won't get above 15th for 7 years.

It never tires me knowing they're certified drug cheats and their WorkSafe fine in some way makes it to our WorkSafe sponsorship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    And the bolded bit is why they got desperate and sacked Knights with 2 years to run, brought in Golden Boy and cheated their arses off to try and get back to their 'rightful' place at the top of the ladder. I think they are at their rightful place now and will be for a long time, cheating scum.
    God I love it when you guys talk like that!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

One player who just seemed to descend from the blue and kind of walk into the seniors and has been there since is Dale Morris. His recruitment must come down to good talent ID. A guy from the next level down with good tackling and spoiling skills which was a skillsset we needed at tge time.

7. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We are spending a lot of time defining Moneyball principles and I think most of them are based on the movie which was very different to the book. I don't believe that is the intention of the opening post so lets try and focus on the value selections SD has made.
    The definition affects the sort of names you would put forward. I understand it to mean putting value on different traits compared to other clubs, and therefore getting good players for a bargain

It's still early in his career but Caleb Daniel fits this for mine. We looked at how he won the ball and realised his game could translate to AFL level, despite his lack of height

Dahlhaus would be another, more established option. Couldn't kick, but we looked at what he could do instead
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Who has seen Caleb at training in 2016? How is he going?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    From memory I think they had their evil eyes on The Bont as well until their draft picks were taken away?!?!

HEH HEH
    Yep - Essendon were prepared to take our pick 4 in exchange for pick 10 and Crameri.
    Then they were stripped of pick 10, asked for JJ (we refused) and eventually took our second rounder as a straight swap for Crammers.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Likes Drunken Bum, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I know Collingwood were trying to get an earlier pick to get The Bont.
    From memory most draft pickers had us taking Scharenberg at 4 and Collingwood taking the Bont at 6, which they traded up from 11 with West Coast.

They were in love with the Bont.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    From memory most draft pickers had us taking Scharenberg at 4 and Collingwood taking the Bont at 6, which they traded up from 11 with West Coast.

They were in love with the Bont.

They probably still are. The other clubs are going to make him some insane offers. We are going to have to work really hard to keep the Bont and the package in the colours.

Post Thanks / Like

The Bont came from Marcellin, same school as Brayden Sier, who was training with us immediately prior to the draft. Collingwood pulled a surprise by taking him with their first pick (most phantom drafters didn't have him in the draft picks at all). Wonder if they went early, spooked by The Bont memories?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    They probably still are. The other clubs are going to make him some insane offers. We are going to have to work really hard to keep the Bont and the package in the colours.
    We've done well to extend every contract thus far (although Wood's initial 1 year extension under Macca worried me a little).
    If we can get Essendon to pay Cameri's contract this year (a distinct possibility according to afl.com) then that gives us some extra dollars to front load contracts noting we're over the cap this year under the 105% rule
    Last edited by Mofra; 02-02-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    We've done well to extend every contract thus far (although Wood's initial 1 year extension under Macca worried me a little).
    If we can get Essendon to pay Cameri's contract this year (a distinct possibility according to afl.com) then that gives us some extra dollars to front load contracts noting we're over the cap this year under the 10% rule
    Essendon paying would be a huge bonus. Anyone taking that hit to the salary cap on our behalf would be a big relief. I remember Gordon saying that we were close to the cap, 98% I think he said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    The Bont came from Marcellin, same school as Brayden Sier, who was training with us immediately prior to the draft. Collingwood pulled a surprise by taking him with their first pick (most phantom drafters didn't have him in the draft picks at all). Wonder if they went early, spooked by The Bont memories?
    Don't think he ever actually trained.. We just sought permission through the right channels, which is what quite a few other clubs didn't do... Can you guess which ones?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Don't think he ever actually trained.. We just sought permission through the right channels, which is what quite a few other clubs didn't do... Can you guess which ones?
    Wouldn't have a clue. Do tell, I was curious about that whole process.

We ended up Rookieing 1 of the players (Goetz) so I presume there was a genuine interest there.