Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Victorian Clubs Handed AFL Funding For Academies

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-0...-for-academies

On the face of it, this seems a promising development, allowing us to strengthen ties in our home and extended Ballarat regions. Something really stings about Gippsland being anointed Hawthorn/Melbourne territory, however the logic is hard to argue with.

Post Thanks / Like

Victorian clubs handed AFL funding for academies

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-0...-for-academies

VICTORIAN clubs have been given seed funding to establish club-branded academies in allocated areas throughout Victoria and the Northern Territory.

Under the plan unveiled to clubs on Tuesday, they will be given the chance to invest in specific regions to attract youngsters from diverse backgrounds and indigenous heritage to play AFL and develop elite talent within those areas.
    Thoughts on the zone we've been given?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Victorian clubs handed AFL funding for academies

The two weakest traditionally, although we have North Ballarat all to ourselves?

IIRC our F/S picks generally come from Calder Cannons.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

At least we recruited Herb Henderson and Matthew Croft from Mallee; otherwise it seems pretty slim pickings since it seems that a lot of quality young country players come more from Gippsland or the more central parts of Victoria.
    Meanwhile Richmond gets a number of quality regions in Bendigo & Goulburn Valley.

Post Thanks / Like

So, why?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. So do we have all of the western suburbs or just parts of it?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I think the zones we have are right as they concentrate in the west of Victoria and include areas close and around Geelong and beyond.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Victorian Clubs Handed AFL Funding For Academies

Last edited by bornadog; 04-02-2016 at 12:08 AM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think the zones we have are right as they concentrate in the west of Victoria and include areas around Geelong and beyond.

Geelong's areas are intriguing.
    True BAD. Make sense as we are really concentrating a lot on Ballarat.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

If we had a choice to pick one zone to be included with the assigned ones which would it be?

Post Thanks / Like

SW Victoria is an awesome zone. There's a gazillion AFL players in the past that are from Horsham, Warrnambool and surrounds

Those types of towns are definitely "Aussie Rules" centric centres with Soccer a long way behind

Just over the border, the South East of South Australia (Mt Gambier etc) is a similar demographic and already the recruiting zone for Glenelg, they have 3 very active Academies in the South East that have supplied dozens and dozens of SANFL League footballers

From that zone these players are currently on AFL lists, and i'm pretty sure they have all been through a Glenelg Academy

Jack Redden West Coast
    Lachie Neale Fremantle
    Tim O'Brien Hawthorn
    Jordan Murdoch Geelong
    Brodie Murdoch St Kilda
    Lincoln McCarthy Geelong
    Mason Redman Essendon
    Matt Allen West Coast Eagles
    Jordan Dawson Sydney Swans
    Jack Trengove Melbourne

The only problems I can see is that our new Zone is bloody big, meaning much higher costs in time and $$$ to manage, and also the distance from Melbourne is prohibitive for players and families as well

Post Thanks / Like

Note that these academies are mainly about developing young kids from non-english speaking backgrounds, at least so far as having any first right to drafting them goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    At least we recruited Herb Henderson and Matthew Croft from Mallee; otherwise it seems pretty slim pickings since it seems that a lot of quality young country players come more from Gippsland or the more central parts of Victoria.
    Meanwhile Richmond gets a number of quality regions in Bendigo & Goulburn Valley.
    Easton Wood and Leon Cameron are 2 more from south west Victoria off the top of my head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Easton Wood and Leon Cameron are 2 more from south west Victoria off the top of my head.
    and "Disco" was from Stawell.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, this is for Aboriginal, Asian and Arican kids.

So Essendon hit the jackpot in that regard getting western metropolitan melbourne, including footscray, sunshine, st albans, etc... Our heartland!

How many Aboriginal, Asian and African footballing kids in Victoria west of Ballarat? They could probably hold a meeting in a phone box.

Hopefully that map is an over simplification and we get Footscray , Sunshine St albans and Laverton. seriously, if not = @$#@#$.