Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Victorian Clubs Handed AFL Funding For Academies

I don't fully get how the academies will tie in with the draft and a bidding system. One potentially exciting aspect is that StPatrick's in Ballarat has probably the best indigenous programme of any school around, having produced Daniel Rioli, Dom Barry and Jake Neade in recent times alone. They have produced over 100 AFL footballers so whatever work we do with them should be a good investment.

Post Thanks / Like

Do we get Colac as well? Has produce few good footballers. NT is a difficult one. While I would like us to be more involved ( and we had a great record up there ) the costs involved are significant.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Do we get Colac as well? Has produce few good footballers.
    Looking at the map, Colac looks close to the border of our zone and Geelong's. Map is dodgy though. Has anyone seen a list that details regions more precisely than the AFL article?

Post Thanks / Like

Do we get Colac as well? Has produce few good footballers. NT is a difficult one. While I would like us to be more involved ( and we had a great record up there ) the costs involved are significant.
    I was thinking the same. Tassie would be good but I imagine Hawthorn & North will have dibs or they're waiting for a Tassie team and giving them their own academy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was thinking the same. Tassie would be good but I imagine Hawthorn & North will have dibs or they're waiting for a Tassie team and giving them their own academy.
    I think the article said they are planning to break up Tassie also. Given 5 clubs are sharing NT, maybe the other 5 in Tassie? Not sure Tassie is too rich in multicultural talent, but would be good to build a connection down there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    I think the article said they are planning to break up Tassie also. Given 5 clubs are sharing NT, maybe the other 5 in Tassie? Not sure Tassie is too rich in multicultural talent, but would be good to build a connection down there.
    Worth digging in if only to grow our brand in another place. If a tassie team ever eventuates than those academies will vanish, or this is a signal from the AFL to Tassie.... I would've liked the Tiwi Islands though, a lot.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Worth digging in if only to grow our brand in another place. If a tassie team ever eventuates than those academies will vanish, or this is a signal from the AFL to Tassie.... I would've liked the Tiwi Islands though, a lot.
    On the one hand, the talent pool would be amazing, on the other it is a big commitment logistically. I think working the western suburbs and western Victoria is good for us - we can commit to doing that properly. Having to send resources constantly to remote NT could be a big drain - although the AFL provide funding, it is still pulling away people and time.

Post Thanks / Like

Who gets NZ? hehe
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Who gets NZ? hehe
    Glasses houses my friend, remember our Scott Clayton took Fiji.

Now diplomatic ties are back on, is Inoke Ratu still coming?

10. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clayton! is he still on his way to Williamstown? That current is pretty strong, better swim hard Scott.

Post Thanks / Like

He's been living in South Warnambool for 3 years, so he's now in our zone. Looks like all the stars are aligning, except for the bit where he trained with us for 3 months recently and was no good
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

13. Likes Go_Dogs, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He's been living in South Warnambool for 3 years, so he's now in our zone. Looks like all the stars are aligning, except for the bit where he trained with us for 3 months recently and was no good
    That'd be amusing, if it didn't involve us pissing away money and club resources on that program...

Post Thanks / Like

That'd be amusing, if it didn't involve us pissing away money and club resources on that program...
    I thought a supporter contributed the money for the Fiji experiment. Might be wrong...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Fiji to South Warrnambool - bet he's loving that choice in the depths of winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Scott did pick out Nick Natanui and had a relationship with his family. Unfortunately, he was in the normal draft.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.