Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs 2016 Betting Odds

http://www.bettingpro.com.au/categor...20151212-0003/

Western Bulldogs 2016 Betting Odds - Bulldogs $5 to finish top 4 in 2016 after breakout season in 2015

The Western Bulldogs took the AFL competition by surprise in 2015, rising from the depths of the ladder in 2014 to storm into the top eight under new coach, Luke Beveridge.

In his first season at the helm, Beveridge guided the club from 14th when he took over at the end of 2014 to 6th after the home and away season, before bowing out in week 1 of the 2015 AFL Finals Series with a seven point loss against Adelaide.

The big question will be whether or not the Bulldogs can continue their upward trend in 2016. Was 2015 a flash in the pan or are the boys from Whitten Oval the real deal?

The Bulldogs have been installed as a $5 chance to make the top 4 in 2016 with CrownBet, while they are at $1.90 to make the top eight. The young pups are $17 to win their first premiership since 1961, and their second in the cub’s history.

A highlight of the Dogs play was their free-flowing style of football. They had some brilliant wins during 2015, particularly in the second half of the season and at Etihad Stadium where they won nine on the trot at the venue.

Their midfield brigade including Mitch Wallis, Luke Dahlhaus and Marcus Bontempelli stood up during the year, while Robert Murphy and Easton Wood were pivotal across halfback.

Jake Stringer developed into an exciting package in the forward line and booted 56 majors for the year, while the underrated Tory Dickson chimed in with 50.

The concerns for the Bulldogs were their lack of key position players down back, which showed up in the finals loss against Adelaide, as well as their form at the MCG, the venue of their finals loss against the Crows. The Bulldogs had earlier lost to lowly Melbourne at the home football in the middle of the year.

During the trade period, the Dogs picked up two-time Hawthorn premiership player, Matt Suckling and they will also welcome back Tom Liberatore who missed the entire 2015 season due to a knee injury.

'Libba' won the clubs 2014 best and fairest and is a $41 Brownlow chance with bet365 of emulating his father, Tony, who took out the medal in 1990, while Marcus Bontempelli is at $34.

Jake Stringer is at $21 with bet365 to claim the Coleman Medal for the competition's leading goal kicker. Stringer finished 5th in the 2015 Coleman behind West Coast powerhouse, Josh Kennedy.

Western Bulldogs 2016 Premiership odds

AFL Premiership ($17 CrownBet)
    Top 4 Finish ($5 CrownBet)
    Top 8 Finish ($1.90 CrownBet)
    Marcus Bontempelli to win Brownlow Medal ($34 bet365)
    Jake Stringer to win Coleman Medal ($21 bet365)

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs 2016 Betting Odds

Geez with Crammers away, Jakey might be a good punt.

This time next year there may some flag bets happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Those odds are actually quite low. $17 for the premiership? and $5 for top 4?

I would probably think maybe $30 for the cup at best at this stage.

5. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post

I would agree that $17 is narrow odds for a flag given our horrid record in the past 60 years and the fact that we are currently not a top 4 team.

I reckon $5 for top 4 is a fair price though, given we were close last year, have enormous upside and those currently in the top 4 look a little old and ready to be challenged.

Wouldn't go near any of the individual awards.

Both Bont and Libba are good enough to win, but both have physical queries, couldn't possibly consider betting on a Brownlow Medallist pre-season at $101 or less unless their preseason had been excptional.

I'd never consider a non-full forward as a better than $51 Coleman Medal chance - historically they just don't win it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post

I have had a little nibble at $21 for the flag and $5 for top 4.
    Last year I took $13 on top 8 and I think $26 top 4. I cashed out the top 4 after the West Coast in Perth with a profit on the bet.
    I also too $501 for the flag and cashed that out at the same time.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

$1.90 for top eight that's a pretty solid bet to double your money.
    Nearly put your house on it odds and have another house.
    Would be a very very disappointing season if we didn't make it.
    I had $50 on us making it last year with a friend, told him double or nothing for this year, he took it! Straight after he said yes I offered cash out and just give me $90 now and save yourself $10
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    $1.90 for top eight that's a pretty solid bet to double your money.
    Nearly put your house on it odds and have another house.
    Would be a very very disappointing season if we didn't make it.
    I had $50 on us making it last year with a friend, told him double or nothing for this year, he took it! Straight after he said yes I offered cash out and just give me $90 now and save yourself $10
    I'm not so confident. I do think we should make it. But there's 3 teams who missed out last year who come right into calculations. Geelong with the off season they have had, plus the draw, they make it for sure. Port Adelaide abd Collingwood 2 other sides that have potential to make it. Someone has to miss out.

Harder draw for us this year (in terms of quality of opponent) easier draw for the above teams mentioned. I wouldn't be chucking the house on it just yet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytee View Post
    I'm not so confident. I do think we should make it. But there's 3 teams who missed out last year who come right into calculations. Geelong with the off season they have had, plus the draw, they make it for sure. Port Adelaide abd Collingwood 2 other sides that have potential to make it. Someone has to miss out.

Harder draw for us this year (in terms of quality of opponent) easier draw for the above teams mentioned. I wouldn't be chucking the house on it just yet!
    While the fixture is considered tougher for the teams we play, I believe this is compensated by the scheduling itself.
    We don't leave Etihad until round 8 and our we also strike 3 Victorian opponents who are returning from interstate in that time. We even get Hawthorn after they have 2 tough opening games.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong with the off season they have had, plus the draw, they make it for sure. Port Adelaide abd Collingwood 2 other sides that have potential to make it.
    My thoughts exactly. Hard to pinpoint where we will end up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    While the fixture is considered tougher for the teams we play, I believe this is compensated by the scheduling itself.
    We don't leave Etihad until round 8 and our we also strike 3 Victorian opponents who are returning from interstate in that time. We even get Hawthorn after they have 2 tough opening games.
    I agree that the whole draw aspect shouldn't be overplayed. Last year the teams we played twice were Port, Melbourne, StKilda, West Coast and Brisbane (all of whom we beat once and lost to once for a 5-5 record).

This year we meet Freo, Collingwood, StKilda, North and Geelong - generally a good bunch, but all of whom we can take on with some confidence. If we go 6-4 or 7-3 against these teams we've beaten last year's draw of teams met twice and only one of them is an interstate team (who we play interstate last round).

Post Thanks / Like

David King, who is a fan of ours, doesn't pick us for the 8 either which was surprising.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    David King, who is a fan of ours, doesn't pick us for the 8 either which was surprising.
    Yeah I don't think they really see the quality of our depth coming through. They see that we don't have a star studded defence or a gun ruckman or flashy seasoned midfielder like Ablett or Danger and think how can we win.
    They don't see that we don't really rely on too many individual contributors without having someone to replace them (Stringer and Bonts aside).

I really think we'll see some changes in the ladder positions this year, some sides that have had a good run may slip and others will rise sharply. There is a new wave of sides like the Dogs, GC, GWS, Dees and Saints that will all improve. All those sides are better this year without doubt, how well they go is up to them, but if they all improve, who falls away?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    King's sole negative argument seems to be that he doubts Murphy, Boyd and Morris can be as good this year as last.

This seems overly pessimistic as (a) they are all supremely fit and hungry and should not drop off alarmingly, and (b) the upside to our under 23 brigade would seemingly more than counteract any such drop-off, not to mention the return of Liberatore and Stevens.

I have heard King discuss our prospects and he doesn't seem to have any other knock on us. Very strange he demotes our finishing position on such a flimsy basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    King's sole negative argument seems to be that he doubts Murphy, Boyd and Morris can be as good this year as last.

This seems overly pessimistic as (a) they are all supremely fit and hungry and should not drop off alarmingly, and (b) the upside to our under 23 brigade would seemingly more than counteract any such drop-off, not to mention the return of Liberatore and Stevens.

I have heard King discuss our prospects and he doesn't seem to have any other knock on us. Very strange he demotes our finishing position on such a flimsy basis.
    I actually missed him discussing us PP. Turned the radio on at the end of the segment. Just heard him giving his final 8. It surprised me as he was keen on us last year.

Post Thanks / Like

That's because nearly everyone in the media think last years effort was a flash in the pan and most if not all expect us to do a Port Adelaide and go bacjwards after a stellar rise the year before.
    For as many journo's and "experts" who were all over us last year as the feel good story of last year those same people will be predicting and willing us to slide as "I told you so" moment.
    LIKE HELL!
    I hope we "STICK IT RIGHT UP EM!"