Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  429
Page 4 of 104 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Not sure aiming for two retirements per year is necessary for our club.

Hawthorn have a much older list profile than us and therefore need to address it more directly, we however have such a long list that we'll soon be delisting 29 year olds to meet our quota.

I think in our case we address retirements on a case by case basis, but have to beconscious not to keep anyone out of sentiment. If Morris or Murphy start dropping away we need to be prepared to pull the trigger, but only based on real things like form and not on an arbitrary number.
    Agreed. I am not into set rules/quotas. Silly to keep or dump a guy just to get to 2.

As you mention, the Hawks have an older list. What needs to be remembered is what we also drafted in Adcock. I see him as closer to the end to Bob, Morris and Boyd. If we need to let go of two older guys, Minson and Adcock are the ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Hawthorn have a much older list profile than us
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    As you mention, the Hawks have an older list. .
    If we are talking 30plus and you include Adcock, we have 5, Hawks have 4. Hawks of course have lots between 27 to 29
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Murphy, Morris and Boyd will turn 35 years old next year.
    I know and they'll all probably want to play on so do we need to make a decision on them? Murph could play on but there may be questions on the other two who have heavier bodies and have taken heavier hits over the years. If this is Boyd's and Morris' last year I salute them because they've been champions for the club, but we now have players who can come in and do their job.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah but he still butchers the ball and his decision making at times on Sunday wasn't flash. His turnovers resulted in two Freo goals. I thought he was solid but I was thinking about how quickly Ponting declined on my way home. Boyd's position is transferable to Webb who I would prefer to actually start playing. There is enough experience down back without Boyd.

I'd keep Morris for the very reasons as discussed above. It doesn't matter how the opposition structure up he can play big or small.
    Boyd is just a game or two short in his preparation. His mistakes were just a bit of rust.

5. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. I am not into set rules/quotas. Silly to keep or dump a guy just to get to 2.

As you mention, the Hawks have an older list. What needs to be remembered is what we also drafted in Adcock. I see him as closer to the end to Bob, Morris and Boyd. If we need to let go of two older guys, Minson and Adcock are the ones.
    Isn't Adcock only on Rookie list or have I missed that he has been upgraded?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Boyd is just a game or two short in his preparation. His mistakes were just a bit of rust.
    Thinking the same. He didn't play a lot of minutes in the Nab matches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Maybe you're right there.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Isn't Adcock only on Rookie list or have I missed that he has been upgraded?
    Yeah he is on the rookie list but I wound't retire Boyd/Morris just to upgrade from first pick in rookie draft to last pick in national draft.

Post Thanks / Like

If there form warrants them to be in our best 22 as Bevo sees fit,then what's the rush to push them off into the sunset?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    If there form warrants them to be in our best 22 as Bevo sees fit,then what's the rush to push them off into the sunset?
    I guess Hawthorn's view is to stagger retirements so you don't lose 1,000 games of experience in one year and radically change the best 22 in one off season. That's their plan anyway, even if Lake said he wanted another year to them.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    I couldn't agree more with you. I like the Hawks system, who can argue with it? But 1- bad idea to copy something 100% 2- don't like rigid rules 3- they have a lot more guys 27-29.

We got Jed Adcock in to help the younger bodies. We are looking like a very good team short term and have a lot of talented young players. I wouldn't be making drastic changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I guess Hawthorn's view is to stagger retirements so you don't lose 1,000 games of experience in one year and radically change the best 22 in one off season. That's their plan anyway, even if Lake said he wanted another year to them.
    Looking at the Hawk's list it doesn't appear to be as strong as they would like. I wouldn't be surprised if over the next couple of years they drop sharply down the ladder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Looking at the Hawk's list it doesn't appear to be as strong as they would like. I wouldn't be surprised if over the next couple of years they drop sharply down the ladder.
    They have won 3 premierships in a row and 4 over 8 years. Seriously if the Bulldogs give us that, they can suck for the rest of my life and the next 5 generations of Rocco Jones' (they will probably be massive jerks anyway).

Post Thanks / Like

They have won 3 premierships in a row and 4 over 8 years. Seriously if the Bulldogs give us that, they can suck for the rest of my life and the next 5 generations of Rocco Jones' (they will probably be massive jerks anyway).
    They'll probably name your great great grandson "Liam" to destroy your lineage.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If forced under torture, to name 4 to cut...

Minson, Prudden, Matt Boyd, Roberts or Clay if his run of shite luck continues. You can make cases that all of them could be on a list next year if not ours, and if not injuries that all could play for us next year. We've obviously gone hard at cutting the obvious dead wood. You'd imagine that would free up a chunk of change if those were the four.

For pick 18, 36, 54, 70 (Sydney's 4th rounder for Tahleeya) (leaving aside trades, free agents, rookie upgrades or any interest in Mick Romero)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes F'scary liked this post