Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  429
Page 98 of 104 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104 LastLast
Results 1,456 to 1,470 of 1560
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Perhaps if we were talking about a round 2 swap of picks but 3rd and 4th round swaps is just a bit of tinkering.
    I guess it's not a bad deal but I think it's well under for a player like Hrovat who I would have been more than happy to try and keep.
    Yep, hypothetically 40 & 58 for 50 & 68. Not big, unless we want to flip them again to bank towards Rhylee West in 2018.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Geez trading period is immensely frustrating, isn't it - all the hope and agony of footy without any actual games to go and barrack at and see something actually happen.

We hear names, dream of glorious players and the joy they might bring us, and then with everything happening off-stage, we wait and wait, relying on rumours, guesses, innuendo, and don't know what JMac and the rest did or didn't do. And not only that, but we don't have the context of matches and a season or three to know if they did well or not. Let alone knowing how much of their work during this trade period will bear fruit in following trade periods.

I find myself agreeing with both sides of the general argument being canvassed in this thread - yes I think we can get better and those in charge of list management should be working on this, and yes I think many of us expect too much in return from our players and who we might be able to bring to the club (at this moment in time).

In essence:

* Our list is very strong but could be improved in terms of key defenders, ruck-stocks, run and footskills;

* Hopefully we are becoming a destination club, but it just doesn't happen over-night - it has taken sustained success for the Hawks, Cats and Swans to become teams that very good players from other clubs wanted to move to. We won the flag this year, but it takes more than a few weeks for this to play out in our favour - hopefully the 2016 glory inspires dreams and discussions that lead to future acquisitions that we all revel in;

* We rate players like Hrovat, Stevens (who I've been a big advocate for) and even Hamling highly in terms of trades because we've invested ourselves in their potential and know how good they could be. Other teams have similar players who most of us would rate much less highly because we haven't followed them closely, treasured their moments of promise and dreamed of what they could do.

I love Hamling but he has a great ceiling and very low floor - we wanted to get a return on his ceiling (excellent finals series), but he hasn't played well enough for long enough to get that. He finished off 2015 well and then was pretty awful for much of 2016. Was he mainly a product of our system, or a late developer who needed confidence? Who knows. We'll get answers in the next few years, but he's by no means a sure thing to replicate his finals form on a consistent basis.

Hrovat has flashed moments of great promise and could be an excellent player. But his history of soft-tissue injuries is a huge risk factor - even with our developing expertise in handling these, we haven't been able to keep him on the park. And even when fit later in the year he couldn't hold his place in the team. He's been passed by Hunter, Jong, Daniel, McLean, Dunkley and probably Webb (who was ahead of him as an emergency). Lots of us, including me, are still invested in his potential but how many frequently injured players of his ilk who are not selected in the best 22 at other teams would you pay a mid-round draft pick for?

Stevens is similar. When fully fit I really like him, but it seems like he needs to be fully fit to have a significant impact. We got him for pick 44 as a promising youngster who couldn't crack a good midfield due in part to injuries. He has been in and out of our team under Beveridge, struggled with injuries, and couldn't make the squad for the finals. What pick would you pay for him to come to us on the basis of his last two seasons, or indeed his whole time with us?

* I'd love a big trade that we all (or most of us) see as a trade win, but just because it hasn't happened I don't think that means that we are being complacent. We don't want to pay overs, we don't want to radically shake up the current list, and if we keep our powder dry for the next trade period I can live with that. We have space, and another season will hopefully give us time to begin leveraging our success and the clear joy of playing under Bevo into useful-excellent free agency (and related) moves.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh, double post

I'll note that I would have been very happy to keep both Hrovat and Stevens, but both know that they should be able to get better opportunities elsewhere and have requested to go.

Apparently we don't have a contract offer to Stevens at the moment, so it's hard to expect much from the Saints for him. Seems like we chose Jong over him, and even I (who rate Stevens higher than most on this board) would probably have done the same.

And while we'd like to keep Hrovat, none of us will want us to pay overs on a contract for him either. It's not nice to have him cherry picked away from us, but much better than having someone from the finals midfield squeezed out. The Rat chose to stay with us when he could have left, but now realises that it really probably is best for his career to move elsewhere. I wish both well, and wish we could get more for them, but I also think I understand why we can't.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if we can trade Koby & 26 for 23 & 50. Bains keeps his mid 20's pick, which is his not negotiable. 50 and a slight upgrade is better than 50 alone.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I'd throw the Swans a late pick for Richards.
    Apparently no clubs are talking to the Swans about him. I think it's worth considering.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Perhaps, but it might annoy Prudden getting demoted and pay cut. If Bevo wants to keep the group together and happy, it's an interesting move if Roarke would be upgraded for the season. I'm not against it all, but it's just seat shifting.
    It might also annoy Roarke knowing that he is rated higher yet paid less than someone who was told they would be rookie listed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    It might also annoy Roarke knowing that he is rated higher yet paid less than someone who was told they would be rookie listed.
    I agree. I'm just playing guess work, like guessing match committee. What I actually think never eventuates!

Post Thanks / Like

Raw Toast, it's a great pleasure of mine to be reading your contributions. Many thanks.

10. Likes Raw Toast, Eastdog, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can we still get Deledio?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Cloke for pick 76 official

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Cloke for pick 76 official
    I guess they took the packet of chips.

14. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Can we still get Deledio?
    No chance I'd say Easty.

Post Thanks / Like

So 18, 26, 50 (Stevens) & 61 plus Cloke for 76.

That's 5 spots. Prudden gets cut maybe. I wonder what we want with 50 & 61? Richards, Pickett etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So 18, 26, 50 (Stevens) & 61 plus Cloke for 76.

That's 5 spots. Prudden gets cut maybe. I wonder what we want with 50 & 61? Richards, Pickett etc?
    Would we package 50 and 61 for a pick in the 40's? Or add in pick 26 to get into the first round?
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Would we package 50 and 61 for a pick in the 40's? Or add in pick 26 to get into the first round?
    We are still talking to the Saints. Perhaps something in that