Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  429
Page 104 of 104 FirstFirst ... 454949596979899100101102103104
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 1560
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

So my guess is that we will add one delisted FA, three players at the National Draft and one at the rookie draft if we assume Prudden is a done deal.
    I think this possibly weakens our ability to either draft or rookie list a ruckman.

We have Mitch Wallis and Jack Redpath effectively on the LTIL so that means R.Smith (most likely) will be promoted to the senior list.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Played 4 AFL games on top of his VFL season last year, and I thought he showed potential and that is why the club is keeping him.
    Stats wise, and you love your stats , he had one good senior game and he was subbed out by 3 quarter time in that.

He's had just 22 VFL games since he was drafted and 4 senior games in 4 years at the club.
    Potential is all good and well, most players drafted have potential, but I think the club is sticking with him because he has a first rate attitude and we are very hopeful he will get over his injuries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Putting aside Prudden's on field ability, keeping him on reinforces to the playing group that we will do the right thing by them. It's impossible to measure, but you could argue that unity and morale won us a premiership and acts like this help to foster that.

It's why I think Hawks are in for a decent slide next year. Would you die for your teammates and coaches if you know you're considered expendable.
    Good point, it's just a shame we haven't been able to see more of him to know if he is capable of being a solid senior footballer. The problem is for him and us is that we are deep at the position he is best suited to.
    When you think that we cut players every year who have done a lot more than Prudden I hope he realises how generous the club has been with him.

Post Thanks / Like

You would have to say Lynch has shown more than JJ had at this stage of their career. There seems to be a fair bit of love for him at club and although raw he has serious AFL traits with his speed, agility and kicking ability. I'd be stunned if he wasn't on the senior list in 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The problem is for him and us is that we are deep at the position he is best suited to.
    On the flip side though we also play deep in that position, often sacrificing talls for additional rebounding defenders. So that means we need more cover for what is a pretty big part of our lineup and the way we play. As an example most sides play with 2 maybe 3 rebounding type defenders, we are more around the 4-5 mark.

Also to me he presents as more of an accumulator half back who is tidy with his disposal, like Boyd. He isn't the linebreaking half back that Lynch and Smith would be picked to be so offers a slight point of difference.

Also many of our starting halfbacks (Suckling, JJ particularly, and Murphy could play elsewhere) aren't limited to just halfback meaning we could shuffle the lineup.

I agree we have a lot of depth in that spot but Bevo has proven it's a position he needs a lot of bodies to rotate through, while he has been happy, either through necessity or design, to have very few talls in his matchday squad.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

6. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    You would have to say Lynch has shown more than JJ had at this stage of their career. There seems to be a fair bit of love for him at club and although raw he has serious AFL traits with his speed, agility and kicking ability. I'd be stunned if he wasn't on the senior list in 2018.
    I'd be interested in others thoughts as well but I agree that he is an exciting prospect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    Yep agreed although unlike JJ he has been given more of an opportunity to display it. From memory JJ spent most of his first year in the Williamstown reserves.

I'm pretty excited about what he brings. Again though I'd hope we only promote him off the rookie list if we see him as best 25, otherwise you keep rookies on there as long as possible. The club has shown a willingness to do this also. Jong, Campbell, Smith and Redpath are the most recent bunch of rookies we have had that look AFL quality, and all showed this by the end of their second year, as I anticipate Lynch will. All were made to see out the full 3 years though, allowing the club much greater flexibility with the list.

You don't promote rookies just cause you think they might occasionally be in the mix, otherwise you get stuck with Mulligan, Hooper and Panos clogging up the list with inflexible contracts for absolutely no gain.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

9. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lynch has a couple of elite traits which make me pretty bullish: he is precise off both feet and he is quick.

He also seems to have a decent footy IQ and knows where the goals are.

The only knock is he is extremely outside, is easy to physically pressure and can go missing for chunks of game time. All the hall marks of a young, developing flanker.

His development next year, along with Bailey Williams', will be exciting to watch.

Plus Webb and Dale and Collins and the new boys we bring in via the draft. An embarrassment of youthful riches for the new VFL head coach.

11. Likes kruder, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Yep agreed although unlike JJ he has been given more of an opportunity to display it. From memory JJ spent most of his first year in the Williamstown reserves.

I'm pretty excited about what he brings. Again though I'd hope we only promote him off the rookie list if we see him as best 25, otherwise you keep rookies on there as long as possible. The club has shown a willingness to do this also. Jong, Campbell, Smith and Redpath are the most recent bunch of rookies we have had that look AFL quality, and all showed this by the end of their second year, as I anticipate Lynch will. All were made to see out the full 3 years though, allowing the club much greater flexibility with the list.

You don't promote rookies just cause you think they might occasionally be in the mix, otherwise you get stuck with Mulligan, Hooper and Panos clogging up the list with inflexible contracts for absolutely no gain.
    Good points.Hooper still gives me nightmares! Nothing against the kid but just didn't have one afl trait which was known prior to signing him for 3 years.

While we are on our half back line Williams will make a handy partner to Lynch in the years to some. He is a 250 gamer if i have ever seen one, he has time, nice side step, good above his head and a neat kick indeed. Another one of Dalys natural footballers who can win their own footy and wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the middle. Their is just so much upside to this group and we have just won a premiership!

13. Likes Raw Toast, Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't heard or read anything about us being into any delisted free agents, has anyone heard/read anything credible in the woofersphere?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I haven't heard or read anything about us being into any delisted free agents, has anyone heard/read anything credible in the woofersphere?
    Been looking every day. Zilch so far

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lynch has a couple of elite traits which make me pretty bullish: he is precise off both feet and he is quick.

The only knock is he is extremely outside, is easy to physically pressure and can go missing for chunks of game time. All the hall marks of a young, developing flanker.

His development next year, along with Bailey Williams', will be exciting to watch.

Plus Webb and Dale and Collins and the new boys we bring in via the draft. An embarrassment of youthful riches for the new VFL head coach.
    Lynch is dynamite through traffic. some blokes are fast but don't know how to exploit it. He has confidence and takes them on at training and in the VFL.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The other big plus with Lynch is that he is a very good kick with either foot. He has the potential to be a serious weapon. With Boyd, Murph and Morris all nearing the end, opportunities will open up in the back half.

Post Thanks / Like

Hehe. The rest of the company is going to be saying "where are all these great kids coming from all of a sudden"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Has made me chuckle to hear some of the so called media experts suggest that we become vulnerable with the pending retirements of Boyd and Murphy in the next year or two. Although still prospects, our future half back line is full of some exciting promise and riches. Keeping the likes of Williams, Lynch, and Roarke may become our biggest challenge given the damaging skills they possess and how keen others may be to poach them. Hopefully they warrant and see enough opportunity in 2017.