Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  429
Page 2 of 104 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    How many do you have to reduce your list by draft night? It's 3 isn't it? I could see Prudden in the firing line if he has trouble breaking into the seniors in 2016. I could see Matt Boyd and Morris retiring at the end of the year, maybe.

Honeychurch could be good trade bait, given we have plenty of smaller players and we got him pick 60. If he gets around 6 games this year he might be attractive as a pick 35-40 trade. Mind you I like him, he's not a bad footballer at all.
    That's the issue at it's core I reckon F'scary - we've got a really deep list and minimum 3 have to go at year's end.

I really can't see Morris going at year's end either - this thread will be real interesting to follow through the year.

No doubt guys like Honeychurch or Hrovat look like types who have market value but may be surplus to our requirements - harsh for them but they've got this year to state their case.

Post Thanks / Like

If you had to make the decision now, you would certainly not recontract Minson.

A lot would need to go Will's way for him to extend beyond 2016 and that would include a proof that Roughy or Campbell would not last beyond their current deals.

Clay Smith would also need to get back and avoid any further serious injury to be any chance of extending his career.

Of the others, I would see Prudden most at risk, but we might also be willing to trade around some of the smalls with Honeychurch and Hrovat both vulnerable.

Further changes might depend on any injuries that might crop up and the ability of the older brigade to continue.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Prudden did ok in his 4 games last year. I seem to recall that he went out of the team due to injury. He looked like a solid lockdown medium defender, a playing style we don't have a lot of imo.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Prudden did ok in his 4 games last year. I seem to recall that he went out of the team due to injury. He looked like a solid lockdown medium defender, a playing style we don't have a lot of imo.
    I agree, he was very impressive in his few games on the HBF. He has mainly played midfield at VFL level, but I think given the opportunity he can make it at AFL level.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with this. I was pretty impressed with Prudden. He was very shaky in the first half of his first game, but after that he certainly looked the part across half back.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Injuries, form and the development of players will all play a part. The usual suspects of Honeychurch, Hrovat, Prudden may well have played themselves into unassailable list positions come September and the pressure could be on some that we regard as more established players. Its nice to have competition for spots.

Post Thanks / Like

As I've said previously, there's a very good reason why we've accumulated similar players with high to mid range draft picks these past few years. We can trade them for needs when we have to.

It's good to see the media finally catch up to what's been said around here for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Whilst the premise of the article sums up our position well, the title is rather melodramatic.

Post Thanks / Like

Had to get another shot at Tom Boyd in there too. Is that on the checklist whenever anyone mentions the Dogs this year?

11. Likes Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    As I've said previously, there's a very good reason why we've accumulated similar players with high to mid range draft picks these past few years. We can trade them for needs when we have to.
    Although I agree to an extent that it can be a bit of an advantage, will we really get much from players not regularly featuring in our side? I think Hrovat has the potential to be a good player but I sincerely doubt we'll get back what we spent on him (Pick 21ish?). I look at the likes of Kennedy and McGlynn, or even Menzel, and they all went relatively cheap.

Players like Prudden and Honeychurch would cost even less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Although I agree to an extent that it can be a bit of an advantage, will we really get much from players not regularly featuring in our side? I think Hrovat has the potential to be a good player but I sincerely doubt we'll get back what we spent on him (Pick 21ish?). I look at the likes of Kennedy and McGlynn, or even Menzel, and they all went relatively cheap.

I don't think it's quite fair to say fair value or par for a Hrovat (for example) is what you paid for him initially (pick 21). That's a bit like buying a car, getting 3 years of use out of it and expecting the same price to sell it. If you pick a player at 21 or so and get 10 places or so lower 3 years down the track, that is a pretty fair reflecton that the player has held good value.

As an aside, some draft picks can have a fascinating trade history. One of my favourites is Jordan MacMahon, widely considered a bit of a poor first round selection in the 2000 draft, but after 114 games we traded him for a pick that gave us Callan Ward, who gave us 60 quality games but we then lost and gained a compensation pick that netted us Jackson Macrae, who has played 55 games.

So that original pick to date has netted us 229 games of value and we still have plenty to come from a 21 year old rising superstar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Have to agree with you. As supporters we tend to over estimate the trade value of our players. Look at Jarrad Grant last year, borderline best 22, played 19 games including the final - trade value = 0. As it stands Prudden has no trade value, Honeychurch maybe a little and Hrovat not a heap more.

Players not in a sides best 22 rarely fetch a high price on the trade table. Exceptions would be highly rated youngsters who want out before we have seen their best, or those that play an in demand position (key position or ruck). Small midfield types are a dime a dozen unfortunately.

The only way Hrovat for example fetches a decent pick is if he has a breakout year and establishes himself in our best 22. Then you have to evaluate whether the gain from the trade will outweigh the loss of Hrovat.

15. Likes The Bulldogs Bite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a decent side players won't want to leave .
    We'll lose a few, but plundered is a little dramatic .
    Hawthorn and the like gather depth and get lauded, but we're getting plundered ?
    Interesting

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Have to agree with you. As supporters we tend to over estimate the trade value of our players. Look at Jarrad Grant last year, borderline best 22, played 19 games including the final - trade value = 0. As it stands Prudden has no trade value, Honeychurch maybe a little and Hrovat not a heap more.

Players not in a sides best 22 rarely fetch a high price on the trade table. Exceptions would be highly rated youngsters who want out before we have seen their best, or those that play an in demand position (key position or ruck). Small midfield types are a dime a dozen unfortunately.

The only way Hrovat for example fetches a decent pick is if he has a breakout year and establishes himself in our best 22. Then you have to evaluate whether the gain from the trade will outweigh the loss of Hrovat.
    Well said . Fringe players in a good side can get overvalued as well by other clubs .