Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  429
Page 57 of 104 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667 ... LastLast
    hlnbidoffer Guest

Re: The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

Hamling certainly needs to weigh up his options, sure money and going back to Freo is good but that team isn't making finals anytime soon..

It's a big loss for us if he does go because if Adams' body doesn't hold up the back line looks a little thin long term, when you think that Boyd might retire and Morris might have 1-2 years left. Collins still has to develop a bit more before we can consider him a viable option in the back line IMO.

2. Likes SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldog Joel Hamling weighing up offer of a lifetime from Fremantle

PREMIERSHIP full-back Joel Hamling was on Tuesday night weighing up whether to leave the Western Bulldogs for the offer of a lifetime.

It is believed Fremantle is dangling a three-year contract delivering a massive pay rise to a player whose AFL career appeared on its last legs just 10 weeks ago.

Hamling, 23, appears certain to earn significantly more if he leaves Whitten Oval and could be the Dogs’ first premiership star to walk out.

According to one source, Hamling could rake in more than $1.2 million at the Dockers.

The swingman played just three games in the first 18 rounds before a surge towards stardom culminating with his famous Grand Final shutdown job on Buddy Franklin.

Colin Young manages Hamling and his Corporate Sports Australia colleague Andrew McDougall said last night the in-demand defender was “still weighing up a few things”.

Hamling is out of contract and was signed on minimum chips as a delisted free agent from Geelong’s scrapheap two years ago.

The athletic West Australian pledged his loyalty to the Dogs in the build-up to the Grand Final, but is now considering a fresh start.

The Broome product is close friends with fellow West Australian Shane Kersten, who has formally requested a trade from the Cats to the Dockers.

Hamling and Kersten were taken within three picks of each other in the 2011 national draft.

The Dockers hold draft picks 34 and 42 and could receive No. 23 as compensation when free agent Chris Mayne signs with Collingwood.

Hamling should walk into the Dockers’ best 22 whereas selection could be more difficult if he stays at the Dogs.

Premiership coach Luke Beveridge has key defender Marcus Adams and captain Bob Murphy to slot into his Round 1 backline next season and the Dogs are also bullish about draftee Kieran Collins.

Hamling’s teammate Koby Stevens is set to join St Kilda, as revealed in Monday’s Herald Sun.

4. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hlnbidoffer View Post
    Hamling certainly needs to weigh up his options, sure money and going back to Freo is good but that team isn't making finals anytime soon..

It's a big loss for us if he does go because if Adams' body doesn't hold up the back line looks a little thin long term, when you think that Boyd might retire and Morris might have 1-2 years left. Collins still has to develop a bit more before we can consider him a viable option in the back line IMO.
    It's a bit of a loss for sure, but Morris, Adams, Cordy, Roberts & Collins is still enough depth is he does go. I'm more concerned with what we will get back as a pick, or whether we then ask for Eric McKenzie off WCE as a replacement and try to get something like it done.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Some people on Twitter reckon Hamling & Kersten are very, very good mates and they're targeting them both as potentially decent players but as mates to join together again. I don't want to lose him, but his value has never been higher.
    Indeed. One of the pitfalls of being premiers is the rest of the competition coming for your bottom sixers.

(Another) one of the blessings is their willingness to overpay for them.

One half suspects Hamling's rapid ascent is just another wily Beveridge masterstroke to parlay a bloke who couldn't get a game most of the year into more tasty assets for Dalrymple to cash in with. I'm only half joking.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

It's a bit of a loss for sure, but Morris, Adams, Cordy, Roberts & Collins is still enough depth is he does go. I'm more concerned with what we will get back as a pick, or whether we then ask for Eric McKenzie off WCE as a replacement and try to get something like it done.
    Whilst we are ok on numbers for defenders Hamling brings a different skill set which is vitally important for our team... He will be a big loss.

9. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hlnbidoffer View Post

Hamling would be a big loss - we are well stocked for key defenders, though Joel has the reach & athleticism to play on a Buddy or a Josh Kennedy that others in our squad perhaps don't.

Cordy perhaps comes the closest in physical attributes / style should he return as a defender from next season, though has only played maybe 3 games as one in our senior side.

I like Adams, but see him more replacing Roberts* in our best 22 if fully fit. Can't see Collins lining up on Buddy/Kennedy et al once established either.

*No disrespect to Fletch intended, he's been solid
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

11. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Whilst we are ok on numbers for defenders Hamling brings a different skill set which is vitally important for our team... He will be a big loss.
    Agreed, I want him to stay. But the only silver lining is his current value. With the cap space, I wonder why we won't get close enough that he stays?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, I want him to stay. But the only silver lining is his current value. With the cap space, I wonder why we won't get close enough that he stays?
    The Freo offer is reportedly $400k for 3 years. What would our offer look like - I'm assuming it would be around $300k for 2 years?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The Freo offer is reportedly $400k for 3 years. What would our offer look like - I'm assuming it would be around $300k for 2 years?
    Interesting point BT, with cap space - it may come down to a greater list strategy and in reality Hamling could be a long way down the pecking order of who we pay overs to, to keep?

$600K over two years isn't bad for a 22 year old. Hopefully he backs himself in to be our first choice KPD and then commands more come 2019 and gets a hug pay day at the dogs or at the dockers.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I would be thinking our offer should be more like $350-$375k... and isn't the average wage something like $290k? (With it likely to rise over the next few years)

16. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have the AFEL even announced what the cap is for next year yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Re. Hamling it is more a case of going home vs staying with Premiership mates that is the area of contention. From what I've heard from Geelong friends that know him the deals are the same and Freo are offering an extra year.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Re. Hamling it is more a case of going home vs staying with Premiership mates that is the area of contention. From what I've heard from Geelong friends that know him the deals are the same and Freo are offering an extra year.
    His home of Broome is about 2,000kms away from Perth. The media reports (which of course could be wrong) have suggested the Freo offer is for significantly more coin.

20. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I would be thinking our offer should be more like $350-$375k... and isn't the average wage something like $290k? (With it likely to rise over the next few years)
    If their offer is 400 a season, we should definitely be offering about that for a three year term.

IMO Hamling is ahead of Adams (who I really rate) such is the impact of his finals performance.

That being said, if Hamling decides to go then I bear him no ill will. He's a premiership hero and his finals performance was as impressive and gutsy as they come.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

His home of Broome is about 2,000kms away from Perth. The media reports (which of course could be wrong) have suggested the Freo offer is for significantly more coin.
    Perth to Broome v Melbourne to Broome - a few hours difference by plane.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.