Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  429
Page 61 of 104 FirstFirst ... 11515253545556575859606162636465666768697071 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    We bring in Crameri, Cloke and Deledio next year we are flag favourites again. Do you think he adds enough over two years to go after him and does he take the spot of a Dunkley, Jong, Williams, Webb and what pressure does that put us under if these guys don't get game time over those two years?

I'd prefer not to be in a position where Lids plays and Jong / Dunkley / Mclean play limited time putting their development on the slow burner. Other clubs will circle. Lids isn't depth he'll want to play. Makes more sense for him to go to Geelong but there is no doubting he will make us a better side if fit.
    We could get Buddy and it still wouldn't shake GWS as favourite. All the big bucks is and will be thrown on them. Big pressure for a team who lost a home Prelim to the team which finished 7th. I say let them have it. I wouldn't even entertain Deledio.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not really in to this trading business and if it was up to me, we'd have more or less the same list next year and I'm not sure exactly where Deledio would play......HOWEVER....

I think that if there is any truth to Deledio coming our way - I think many of you are severely underrating him. We're talking about a serious footballer here. I know Lids is in his last 3-4 years - but the pick 18 would have to be a pretty bloody good player to be worth more than Brett Deledio.

Post Thanks / Like

Saying we wouldn't obtain a player from Richmond is very silly .
    They've got a few top liners you wouldn't say no to
    Deledio would be handy, but got a feeling his manager is sniffing out Geelong

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I still don't think he will be best 22. He is player 18-26 for me, and will be insurance more than anything.

I think a backline of
    Morris Adams Biggs
    JJ Wood Bob
    will be sufficient, given we play our team defence. Roberts/Collins/Cordy wait in the wings for injuries and match ups.

If Hamling was willing to accept an average contract I'd be happy for him to stay, but he is not the guy we break our list managament/salary management strategy for. If we falter and give him an extra 50k so that he stays, it sends the wrong message to our other players and their managers.
    I agree. Hamling is classic money ball. Guy with talent languishing at opposition club who comes in and fills a need, then gets poached for considerably more than you paid. He was great in the finals and he is versatile, but if a suitable deal was on the table I would move him on.

Post Thanks / Like

Dogs premiership hero weighing up Freo offer

WESTERN Bulldogs premiership hero Joel Hamling will make a decision on where he wants to play next year by the end of the week.
    Hamling was a crucial part of the Bulldogs' drought-breaking flag almost a fortnight ago, playing the last nine games of the season, including all four finals, after struggling to earn senior selection in the first half of the year.

But the 23-year-old, who shut down Sydney Swans superstar Lance Franklin in the Dogs' famous win on Grand Final day, played just 12 games this season after managing 11 in 2015, and is no walk-up start in the Bulldogs' defence next year.
    Given he's out of contract, Hamling is now weighing up an offer to return home to Western Australia to play with Fremantle.

Hamling's manager Colin Young told NAB AFL Trade Radio that he'd spoken to (Bulldogs list manager) Jason McCartney about his client's future on Tuesday, and he's hopeful both parties will know where he sits by the end of the week.

"It's still a bit raw, he is a premiership player, he's still enjoying the flag, and he's still socializing with the boys that were in the 22," Young said.
    "It's all been a bit rushed with the trade (period) coming so quickly after the premiership, but he certainly hasn't made a decision to leave.

"If he was playing with Fremantle, he's probably an absolute certainty to play every game.

"But there's no guarantee he's going to make the decision to go to Fremantle.
    "When you become a premiership player, it certainly changes your thought process."

Adding to the lure of the Dockers is the fact that Hamling's best mate, Geelong forward Shane Kersten, has already expressed his desire to return to Perth.
    It means the young backman has plenty to think about, especially with the biggest game of his football life only fresh on his mind.

"Shane (Kersten) has made the decision to go, and he told me that Joel (Hamling) is definitely torn between the thought of going home and playing with him, and staying with the Bulldogs, who he won a flag with," Young said.

"It's a really tough decision for Joel to make, so hopefully in the next couple of days he'll have the time to make that decision."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hlnbidoffer View Post
    IMO we don't need Deledio. We have JJ, Bob, Suckling, Biggs, Boyd to run off the backline. I can't see us entertaining this trade for a player and pick 18...

In addition, how frequently has Deledio been injured over the last few seasons?
    One of those is in his last year; another is coming back from a knee aged 34. A concern I had this year was the over Reliance on JJ when suckers was out of the team. Lids would be a useful addition to provide some outside run.

Post Thanks / Like

We bring in Crameri, Cloke and Deledio next year we are flag favourites again. Do you think he adds enough over two years to go after him and does he take the spot of a Dunkley, Jong, Williams, Webb and what pressure does that put us under if these guys don't get game time over those two years?

I'd prefer not to be in a position where Lids plays and Jong / Dunkley / Mclean play limited time putting their development on the slow burner. Other clubs will circle. Lids isn't depth he'll want to play. Makes more sense for him to go to Geelong but there is no doubting he will make us a better side if fit.
    I think he offers something different to the aforementioned players. Jong and Dunks are inside grunt kids with less than elite disposal. McLean is largely a half forward spending occasional time on the ball.

I wouldn't pay overs and I wouldn't give hi no more than a 2 year deal, but if the trade was right then why not.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he'd suit us on a wing. Surely we can't offer the wage he's asking though

Post Thanks / Like

If we want to improve our ball movement, and have someone who hits targets inside 50 with more regularity, then Lids helps with these aims.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes 1eyedog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rooner View Post
    We could get Buddy and it still wouldn't shake GWS as favourite. All the big bucks is and will be thrown on them. Big pressure for a team who lost a home Prelim to the team which finished 7th. I say let them have it. I wouldn't even entertain Deledio.
    GWS are unproven in Melbourne against top 4 opposition for mine. They are also unproven when the stakes are high, actually, they failed miserably. They may be short money, but get them at the G next October against us...
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    I think he'd suit us on a wing. Surely we can't offer the wage he's asking though
    If we were offering Hurls 800 large we can afford Lids for two years.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    I think he offers something different to the aforementioned players. Jong and Dunks are inside grunt kids with less than elite disposal. McLean is largely a half forward spending occasional time on the ball.

I wouldn't pay overs and I wouldn't give hi no more than a 2 year deal, but if the trade was right then why not.
    He certainly does, but there are only so many spots.

*edit can someone else post I keep triple posting, god I'm pumped over this news.
    Last edited by 1eyedog; 12-10-2016 at 06:22 PM. Reason: pumped

Post Thanks / Like

If we were offering Hurls 800 large we can afford Lids for two years.
    Please Footy Gods how sweet would it be to win another Flag with Barrett carrying on how ridiculous it was that we recruited Deledio.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

He certainly does, but there are only so many spots.

*edit can someone else post I keep triple posting, god I'm pumped over this news.
    Love the edit reason 1eye.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

So we may have traded up pick 3 (Gyphone) to pick 1 (Deledio). And Deledio is the only AFL standard player of those two now.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes azabob liked this post