Thanks Thanks:  74
Likes Likes:  429
Page 7 of 104 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving Rolling De-Listing/Trading Thread 2016

Stevens, Hamling, Hrovat, Campbell and Dickson are the priority for me. Hrovat makes the list as I think he'll attract reasonable interest in the trade market and I'd prefer to have him contracted prior to then.

Our veterans won't be going anywhere, I don't think the others will be stolen from us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Dale Morris (UFA), Robert Murphy (UFA), Roarke Smith, Joel Hamling, Declan Hamilton, Lin Jong, Clay Smith, Tory Dickson, Koby Stevens, Nathan Hrovat, Tom Campbell. After signing them on you can always trade with some leverage. Unsigned you are in their hands.
    I could very well be wrong but I'm not sure you can sign and then trade.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think of both player and club agree then it can proceed.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I think there's some fine print that says the default position is that you cannot trade in the year of resigning, unless the player agrees. Which if he doesn't agree means you can't trade him. Or that's the last I remember of the rule.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think there's some fine print that says the default position is that you cannot trade in the year of resigning, unless the player agrees. Which if he doesn't agree means you can't trade him. Or that's the last I remember of the rule.
    Thanks to both you and Aza for the clarification. I was under the impression it was the very reason why they stopped that sign and trade option.

Whats in it for the player to sign with one club and be traded to another? Is it a way for the player to make sure the old club is adequately compensated?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both you and Aza for the clarification. I was under the impression it was the very reason why they stopped that sign and trade option.

Whats in it for the player to sign with one club and be traded to another? Is it a way for the player to make sure the old club is adequately compensated?
    Ricky Nixon would get two commissions in 3 months. Outside of player agents, I don't think it serves any purpose to sign a player you're not 100% committed to.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

GVGjr, you could well be right. To me if the rule is as i and BT say, it diesnt make sense.

I dont believe that when players leave clubs they care if the compensation is fair or not.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    GVGjr, you could well be right. To me if the rule is as i and BT say, it diesnt make sense.

I dont believe that when players leave clubs they care if the compensation is fair or not.
    To me it also sort of flies in the face of the whole restricted and unrestricted option and to me there is no upside for the player to sign and then be traded unless there is some loophole with the salary cap I'm not aware of.

I'm not convinced what I'm saying is right either but it would be interesting to get some clarification.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post

I might be tired, but I think it makes sense. If you recontract a player, he can't be traded unless he voluntarily opts out. If you want to trade him and he says 'get stuffed' you cannot trade him. So the rule stops a club manipulating contract status. It seems unlikely a player would sign in round 12 with offers floating around (official and unofficial) and then 12 weeks later get a ludicrously better offer and ask for a trade while the ink is wet. So in reality you can't really trade a resigned player in that year, but if the player is happy to go then they can. But the risk is the player says 'no' and you've signed up a player you don't want to have, which serves as the strong deincentivisation to not engage in the practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't all trade require player approval anyway. I don't see the difference

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Don't all trade require player approval anyway. I don't see the difference
    That's right. AFL players can't be traded against their will while under contract. Given players seem to believe it's their right to be traded while under contract then I'm a supporter of the American model of being traded while the club owns your contract. As usual Australian players want the best of both worlds, guaranteed contracts with no trading rights.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

12. Likes Drunken Bum, chef, lemmon, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The AFL recently tried to get the players to give up that right for a lesser FA qualification. I think it was tha FA qual anyway.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    That's right. AFL players can't be traded against their will while under contract. Given players seem to believe it's their right to be traded while under contract then I'm a supporter of the American model of being traded while the club owns your contract. As usual Australian players want the best of both worlds, guaranteed contracts with no trading rights.
    Being in the banking industry you'd know how information asymmetry comes into play in this. The players have a safeguard within their CBA/EBA to protect themselves from being signed by clubs in different types of precarious situations without a reasonable level of disclosure.

Post Thanks / Like

Back to topic, I'm going to go brutal and say Prudden gets cut. For me hasn't shown enough to command a new contract with a year out. So he's locked in for me, especially as if their knees hold up Libba, Bob & Clay (& rookie Roarke) is enough risk of knee re-injury to carry over the list.

So Prudden & Matt Boyd (if Bob stays on next year) are my two of my four.
    I want to see Clay back to his best.
    Minson is up against it, and would be my third right now.
    Possible trade in the 4th spot. Hrovat, Hamilton, Redders, Jong etc might get better offers and be tempted if they don't get a good run of seniors this year.

Post Thanks / Like

BT, I can see the need for rookie list promotions especially Lynch. I think there needs to be at least 5 subtractions