Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack Macrae says being dropped in 2015 helped him in the long run, praises Bulldogs depth

Link

AFTER collecting 23 disposals in Round 6 last year, the last thing Jack Macrae expected was to be dropped.
    But that’s exactly what transpired after the Dogs let slip a 55-point advantage against St Kilda.
    Macrae responded with 37 disposals and six tackles for Footscray in the VFL the following Sunday.

Coach Luke Beveridge, who implored the then 20-year-old to improve his defensive skills, still couldn’t find room for the talented left-footer despite the Dogs slumping to their second straight defeat.

It took another 30-plus possession VFL outing for Macrae to force his way back into the side. A game-high 10 tackles was enough to prove Macrae had heeded his coach’s message.

“At the time I wasn’t playing my best footy and it was good to go back and get back to the basics and work on what I needed to work on,” Macrae told foxfooty.com.au.

“Being dropped to the VFL doesn’t necessarily motivate me although the experience is good to keep in the back of my mind.

“After coming back (into the senior team) I played some of the best footy I’ve played.”
    Without depth, leaving a player of Macrae’s undoubted ability out of the team would simply not be possible.

Five Dogs were nominated for last year’s all-Australian team, with Bob Murphy, Jake Stringer and Easton Wood making the final 22.
    Only Hawthorn had more players included in the initial squad of 40.

Luke Dahlhaus and Matthew Boyd missed out, while Marcus Bontempelli, Mitch Wallis, Tom Boyd and Macrae himself shape as future contenders.

Tom Liberatore’s knee injury was supposed to cripple the Bulldogs midfield, but all it did was allow the likes of Liam Picken, Dahlhaus, Wallis and Macrae to pick up where the reigning best and fairest had left off.

Matthew Boyd was released to half-back with great affect, while Jordan Roughead and Easton Wood had career best seasons.

The latter was the biggest revelation, winning the club’s 2015 best and fairest despite never finishing in the top 10 previously. He also registered 75 intercept marks during the home and away season - the most ever recorded.

“We are not reliant on a few players and that is the great strength of ours,” Macrae said.

“We recognise within the club who plays the sacrificial role and it’s not necessarily about who gets the touches or kicks the goals.”

Macrae began his AFL journey as a lightly built but hugely prolific winger selected with pick No. 6 in the 2012 national draft. Last year he evolved into an inside midfielder in the absence of Liberatore.

Now Liberatore is on the verge of returning, Macrae is happy to slot in wherever the team requires his services.

“I played inside mid last year for pretty much the entire season, which was pretty new to mem,” he said.

“I’ve also been working on my forward craft and becoming a more dangerous player up forward, especially with the interchange cap coming down. I’d love to play inside-mid and wing predominantly, but if I have to play half-back then I’ll gladly slot in there as well.

“I want to be a more dynamic and versatile player.”
    And Macrae can’t wait to play with Liberatore again.

“It’s been great to have him back out on the track player for us on and off the field,” he said.

“Playing with him before he got injured was awesome. He was a huge help for me and taught me a lot.

“He’s a pretty special player.”

The Western Bulldogs were widely praised last year for their attractive game style, which Macrae suggested has been refined rather than transformed over the summer.

“We want to continue to be exciting and show flair but by the same token you can’t win that way all the time and play that way 24/7,” he said.

“We all went to another level and this pre-season we know the brand of footy we want to play.

“Finding that balance of when to go quick and when to go slow is important. Teams will start to prepare for us better so Bevo (Luke Beveridge) is big on having an A, B, C and D plan.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Macrae says being dropped in 2015 helped him in the long run, praises Bulldogs depth

Jack is a special talent. Love the plans A, B, C and D....looking forward to E too.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Macrae says being dropped in 2015 helped him in the long run, praises Bulldogs depth

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Matthew Boyd was released to half-back with great affect, while Jordan Roughead and Easton Wood had career best seasons.
    Roughy had a career best season? Tom Morris mustn't have rated his previous seasons too highly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Roughy had a career best season? Tom Morris mustn't have rated his previous seasons too highly.
    Maybe he was thinking Jarryd Roughead. He had a career best season arguably. Or, the journo is shit at his day job.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The past two weeks Macrae has racked up possessions but what he does with them has sometimes really hurts us. I commented last night that the Saints game was the worse display of disposals he has shown since joining us. For the life of me how he was given a 73% disposal efficiency stat is baffling.

His wild handballs, his stupid little kicks around the corner, his kicking into the man needs to be rectified. No doubt he is a talent, but what must he do to improve his disposal and really hurt the opposition? Is it back to the VFL, or just work harder on the training track.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm impressed that when its his turn to go, or his turn to take the hit, he never shirks it. But you raise a fair point, his decision making and skills at times need to raise a notch. He can raise his game to an elite level. I wouldn't drop him just yet, but I'd be flagging some improvements are necessary if he wants to avoid playing VFL footy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of his possessions, imo, are really hard possessions, possessions where he takes it knowing he is going to be tackled straight away. He keeps a lot of our plays alive by taking the tough possession. For me, he is an integral member of the main group of mid-fielders who can be relied upon to get the hard balls.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

9. Likes N/A, Bulldog4life, Raw Toast, hujsh, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The past two weeks Macrae has racked up possessions but what he does with them has sometimes really hurts us. I commented last night that the Saints game was the worse display of disposals he has shown since joining us. For the life of me how he was given a 73% disposal efficiency stat is baffling.

His wild handballs, his stupid little kicks around the corner, his kicking into the man needs to be rectified. No doubt he is a talent, but what must he do to improve his disposal and really hurt the opposition? Is it back to the VFL, or just work harder on the training track.
    He's had 14 score involvements in 2 games. His disposals are more effective than some are giving him credit for. He's also winning more contested footy than many of his team mates that are racking up big stats.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I think he's been fine. He can be frustrating at times with some lazy disposal and that seems to stick in the mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably fair criticism of him in the Saints game but he was more damaging against Freo I thought
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

He had a poor decision and disposal game. I would back him to bounce back. Seems a very driven young fella that will not enjoy the video review.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought he was brilliant against Freo - and then looked like he was set for more of the same against the saints - but made a lot of decision and disposal errors as the game wore on.

I tend to judge Macrae a bit harshly as I have a very high opinion of him.

Post Thanks / Like

I was equally disappointed with his game at times against the Saints. I have watched the replay a couple of times and 50% of his disposals were 'interesting'. Hopefully he is getting the right feedback from his line coaches.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised at his hardness. He cops a huge whack and just trots along without expression.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

And gut runs as good as any.