Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  32
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vote #1 Whitten oval

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    Maribyrnong Council last night approved the club's redevelopment plans. However, they did reject the building of parking spaces in Spurling Reserve and determined that it be used as open space for local residents.

The proposed public basketball court also was intended to be used for car parking in the plans so I assume that won't be going ahead now.

I'm not sure how the club will handle parking after this but given post-Covid reductions in staffing this should be less of an issue.
    The Council has also approved a condition that the Whitten Oval must remain open to the public at all times except for approved match days, so that's good news for those hardcore fans who want to watch training!

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    The Council has also approved a condition that the Whitten Oval must remain open to the public at all times except for approved match days, so that's good news for those hardcore fans who want to watch training!
    So that elminates closed training sessions.
    Not sure that’s a good thing , other clubs spies will be rubbing their hands together.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Not sure that’s a good thing , other clubs spies will be rubbing their hands together.
    I don't think it is a big deal. You look at Arden st and also Collingwood's ground and they are wide open for all to see.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you are somehow going to stop people watching from Mt Mistake then closed sessions are pointless anyway. And that would be impossible. If other clubs wanted to watch our training sessions then they could do it quite easily.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I asked Bevo about this at a training session in 2016 and he said all set plays are practiced in our performance centre. They basically do nothing but run around for a while on the ground i.e. stretching, some skills, a bit of soccer, goal kicking and marking. They stopped set plays on the ground when Macca departed.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

7. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I asked Bevo about this at a training session in 2016 and he said all set plays are practiced in our performance centre. They basically do nothing but run around for a while on the ground i.e. stretching, some skills, a bit of soccer, goal kicking and marking. They stopped set plays on the ground when Macca departed.
    Makes sense. Like I said it's impossible to stop people seeing the ground from the overpass if they really want to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Another reason why we are extending the training centre - have more room for this sort of stuff.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Skinner Reserve. I believe where Doug Hawkins played when he was with Braybrook before joining us in 1978.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Skinner Reserve. I believe where Doug Hawkins played when he was with Braybrook before joining us in 1978.
    Braybrook play at Pennell reserve in Braybrook. Tell a Braybrook boy he's from Sunshine and you'd be lucky just to be hospitalized!

These are guys who have their postcode tattooed on their neck.

12. Thanks Eastdog, SonofScray thanked for this post
    Likes I'm Not Bitter Anymore! liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Braybrook play at Pennell reserve in Braybrook. Tell a Braybrook boy he's from Sunshine and you'd be lucky just to be hospitalized!

These are guys who have their postcode tattooed on their neck.
    Thanks for that Twodogs
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

14. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Thanks for that Twodogs
    Us Yarraville boys were tough but when the Braybrook boys turned up we pretended to be boy scouts. It didn't stop them from stomping on our heads but at least a few of us got a headset start

16. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Skinner Reserve was the home of the Sunshine Crows

18. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Us Yarraville boys were tough but when the Braybrook boys turned up we pretended to be boy scouts. It didn't stop them from stomping on our heads but at least a few of us got a headset start
    Yeah being an eastern suburbs Doggies supporter it is intersting hearing Woofers recounting about the old days before my time growing up near and around Footscray.
    Last edited by Eastdog; 20-12-2020 at 05:07 PM.