Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vote #1 Whitten oval

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Princes Park is godawful, but I kind of enjoyed our games there in 97/98. I lived in Flemington at the time, used to walk to the games through Royal Park golf course and the zoo. Very enjoyable.
    I quite liked Princes Park in general (although I have fond memories of most suburban grounds, rose coloured glasses). While I understand the partisan reasons for WO over PP, I'd be interested in the arguments for one over the other
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I quite liked Princes Park in general (although I have fond memories of most suburban grounds, rose coloured glasses). While I understand the partisan reasons for WO over PP, I'd be interested in the arguments for one over the other
    Well Princes Park is in a dead space of Melbourne. Sure its surrounded by attractive active space but there are no eateries or vibrancy and only a tram out the front meaning PT is pretty crap. WO is in the heart of Footscray with a number of eateries, pubs and culture. It also has a train station. What's more if the AFL are serious about equalization how about lending their support at the community level rather than just a football one and supporting a boutique stadium in Footscray? Small to medium enterprises would benefit greatly locally and it would provide a real opportunity to make a difference and put something back in rather than just taking all the time.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes bornadog, Webby, Drunken Bum, Eastdog, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My problem with Princes Park (apart from it not being Western Oval) stems from being in the social club which we joined to ensure grand final tickets (?!). There was never enough seating there so we had to go to the snooty receptionist and get tickets to the White Elephant stand. When it was our home game against Carlton we weren't allowed in there at all. I think we treated Fitzroy supporters much better when we shared our ground with them

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Im Not Bitter View Post
    My problem with Princes Park (apart from it not being Western Oval) stems from being in the social club which we joined to ensure grand final tickets (?!). There was never enough seating there so we had to go to the snooty receptionist and get tickets to the White Elephant stand. When it was our home game against Carlton we weren't allowed in there at all. I think we treated Fitzroy supporters much better when we shared our ground with them
    Fair enough. Playing a home game against a team who's home ground it is is just a terrible situation. Can you imagine Carlton Members trying to get into the Can Bar? They'd never make it out alive and rightfully so.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Well Princes Park is in a dead space of Melbourne. Sure its surrounded by attractive active space but there are no eateries or vibrancy and only a tram out the front meaning PT is pretty crap. WO is in the heart of Footscray with a number of eateries, pubs and culture. It also has a train station. What's more if the AFL are serious about equalization how about lending their support at the community level rather than just a football one and supporting a boutique stadium in Footscray? Small to medium enterprises would benefit greatly locally and it would provide a real opportunity to make a difference and put something back in rather than just taking all the time.
    Great post 1eyedog. It would be great for the Footscray area. Now I know Ballarat is the way to go now and will be doing that - hope it is a huge success but why initially didn't we put money into redeveloping the Whitten Oval to AFL standard. Was it the politics possibly?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

4 votes from me

Post Thanks / Like

5 for me and number do not seem to change.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Great post 1eyedog. It would be great for the Footscray area. Now I know Ballarat is the way to go now and will be doing that - hope it is a huge success but why initially didn't we put money into redeveloping the Whitten Oval to AFL standard. Was it the politics possibly?
    You got it Easty. The whim of the AFL, the support of local Government up there and where the cash is coming from dictated the result. The Whitten Oval redevelopment would be a massive undertaking and not just on a financial level.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    No train station is a big one, little parking at PP is another.

We have space to add a multi-story car park at the Barkley St end of the ground too if there was ever a chance of a third boutique stadium - TBH I think the AFL would just rather the Ballarat development go ahead and 2-3 games per year take place up there.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    No train station is a big one, little parking at PP is another.

We have space to add a multi-story car park at the Barkley St end of the ground too if there was ever a chance of a third boutique stadium - TBH I think the AFL would just rather the Ballarat development go ahead and 2-3 games per year take place up there.
    If they had a third boutique stadium in Melbourne, though, would that be for multiple teams? So us, North, StKilda, Melbourne etc would all play games against GWS, GCS, Freo and other low drawers at this venue designed for 10,000-25,000 crowds. Would be amazing for the area if they had 10 to 15 games per year at the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't make us go back to Princes Park
    We had a good record there between '97-'99. Things only went down after we moved from there to the Docklands.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't make us go back to Princes Park
    I with you, hate that ground with a passion. Anything to do with Carlton, I like to stay clear.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ClothesBootsMotorcycle View Post
    We had a good record there between '97-'99. Things only went down after we moved from there to the Docklands.
    Yep, and I lived in Brunswick at the time so I thoroughly enjoyed walking to the ground and seeing us get the chocolates 9 times out of 10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    If they had a third boutique stadium in Melbourne, though, would that be for multiple teams? So us, North, StKilda, Melbourne etc would all play games against GWS, GCS, Freo and other low drawers at this venue designed for 10,000-25,000 crowds. Would be amazing for the area if they had 10 to 15 games per year at the ground.
    ABC radio this morning reported that the AFL is looking at buying out Etihad early, because Docklands is saying it has no future because it blocks out the rest of the area. AFL to look at new stadium in land available in Nth Melb and other areas.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    ABC radio this morning reported that the AFL is looking at buying out Etihad early, because Docklands is saying it has no future because it blocks out the rest of the area. AFL to look at new stadium in land available in Nth Melb and other areas.
    E-gate maybe? Or another initiative in the area.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"