Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  32
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Vote #1 Whitten oval

Why exactly aren't we pushing this for AFL games as well? Surely we could use it as a home ground vs interstate teams.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Why exactly aren't we pushing this for AFL games as well? Surely we could use it as a home ground vs interstate teams.
    I have the same question. Seems like the perfect opportunity to pull the Ballarat games into Whitten Oval. imagine the league is much more interested in rural games to extend reach than playing in a different Melbourne suburb.

Seems the perfect opportunity to push for it though.

With the residential real estate attached the the full redevelopment - we could very well become the richest club in the league

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Who would have thunk it in October 1989.
    Our club has come a long way since that time. Things are very different now particularly on the financial front which is very strong for us nowadays.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Would love that Vred but yeah not sure that will happen.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I’m Not Bitter Anymore! View Post
    I tried to argue with the Save Footscray Park for the People mob that are vigorously opposing any development but had to give up when they said that the Bulldogs are eroding their rights to access the oval
    SFP opposition to VUWO development is disappointing.

I agreed with the premise of the opposition to MVFC facilities at Footscray Park as it was going to damage existing open, green space and limit opportunities for unstructured, recreational activity. In its place was going to be high cost, elite access facilities that provide limited service directly to the local community.

What needs to be considered here is:
    FFC is a long standing contributor to the local community through programmes and partnerships outside of football.
    FFC development of VUWO has created community assets for sport and recreation in a region where this is required.
    WRFL, VAFA, women's leagues have access to a flagship venue for finals and training ect
    Access to the oval was limited due to covid, there's no need for access to be limited beyond what the previous requirements where.
    It's in the interests of the club for people outside of football and elite programmes to be around and use the space.

There is some give and take required. Where they have a role I suspect, is in making sure the Club is honest and transparent around access to the oval and ensuring changes that involve a loss of facilities (playground for instance) are offset or at least explained clearly.

Post Thanks / Like

Reading the club's application to the council there are some obvious benefits to the local residents that don't currently exist:

- openable gates on Barkley St will enable much greater access to the land;
    - a new playground for the community to access;
    - a new public basketball court.

I understand their concern about increased car-parking however the land is already currently used by the players and football department for this purpose. With all the activities of the football club, the community child care centre and community sports hall it's not in local residents interests for users of the facility to have to park in side streets.

Post Thanks / Like

Side note to the redevelopment:

Skinner Reserve Redevelopment

Looks like VFLW, VFL squads will have access to extra facilities at various points in the year down at Skinner Reserve. I am sure we all have fond memories of preseason training and at least one match v the Swans being played there in the early 90s.

Herald Sun one year incorrectly listed Skinner Rsv as our home ground on a special collectors set of hologram cards that you could use as a ladder. I wrote to them to correct the mistake and received an apology letter back from the editor. A big win over the HUN for a 10 or so year old.

I actually played soccer on the ground just before they pulled the stand down and did the development of the community hub. Used to also run a youth program down there for the local kids which was a big hit, I'll be glad to see the oval get more use and perhaps some improved facilities to accomodate the influx of girls teams in the local comps.

9. Thanks Prince Imperial, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post

Looks like VFLW, VFL squads will have access to extra facilities at various points in the year down at Skinner Reserve. I am sure we all have fond memories of preseason training and at least one match v the Swans being played there in the early 90s.

Herald Sun one year incorrectly listed Skinner Rsv as our home ground on a special collectors set of hologram cards that you could use as a ladder. I wrote to them to correct the mistake and received an apology letter back from the editor. A big win over the HUN for a 10 or so year old.

I actually played soccer on the ground just before they pulled the stand down and did the development of the community hub. Used to also run a youth program down there for the local kids which was a big hit, I'll be glad to see the oval get more use and perhaps some improved facilities to accomodate the influx of girls teams in the local comps.
    A few posters on WOOF had an AFL touch footy team that normally played at Whitten oval but when the redevelopment was taking place we played one season at Skinner reserve. One time when David Rodan was in between AFL clubs his girlfriend made him play. He was kicking half the length of the field off the opposite foot!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post

I went to an all day concert there in the 70's - skyhooks, The Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band, and many I have forgotten.. The place was jammed packed.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I went to an all day concert there in the 70's - skyhooks, The Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band, and many I have forgotten.. The place was jammed packed.
    Were you a Mod or a Sharpie?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Madder Lake and the La De Das.

Australia produced some outright weird bands over the years, Kush, Mother Goose, Mental as Anything, Skyhooks, the Reels, Pineapples From the Dawn of Time, Shower Scene From Psycho, Split Enz, Jimmy and the Boys, Painters and Dockers, Mr Floppy etc, but for outright strangeness Captain Matchbox really took the cake. They had a residency at the Esplanade on Sunday nights and often things got very boisterous.

Wangaratta Wahine is one of my favourite Australian songs of all time

15. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Were you a Mod or a Sharpie?
    Sharpie

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sharpie
    Of course. You were a western suburbs boy. None of that puncing around in suits like private school mods from Camberwell and Hawthorn.

Did you do the Sharpie dancing like on this video at 0.33 on?

To this day I still have no idea why sharpies turned up in huge numbers and danced away at early Hunters and Collectors gigs. It was funny to watch though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Of course. You were a western suburbs boy. None of that puncing around in suits like private school mods from Camberwell and Hawthorn.

Did you do the Sharpie dancing like on this video at 0.33 on?

To this day I still have no idea why sharpies turned up in huge numbers and danced away at early Hunters and Collectors gigs. It was funny to watch though.
    Nah, I am talking 70s. We danced to Lobby Lloyd

It was all short lived - a couple of years in the 70s. Anyone still calling themselves sharpies in the 80s were hanging on to a dead culture.

Post Thanks / Like

Maribyrnong Council last night approved the club's redevelopment plans. However, they did reject the building of parking spaces in Spurling Reserve and determined that it be used as open space for local residents.

The proposed public basketball court also was intended to be used for car parking in the plans so I assume that won't be going ahead now.

I'm not sure how the club will handle parking after this but given post-Covid reductions in staffing this should be less of an issue.

20. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post