Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cross and Williams

Daniel Cross and Tom Williams rewarded for bravery

LeasePlan Western Bulldogs players, Daniel Cross and Tom Williams have been rewarded for their bravery in October when they jumped into Victoria Harbour while on holiday and saved a young girl’s life.

The Director of Marine in Hong Kong has advised the club this week that the players have been awarded the certificate of commendation with a plaque to be presented by the Director of Marine in Hong Kong early next year.

Both players were surprised to receive the news this week and said they would do the same thing again if they saw someone in trouble.

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Campbell Rose said the club was extremely proud of both players and said the acknowledgement from the Director of Marine in Hong Kong highlighted the fact that their actions were out of the ordinary.

“They are both remarkable young men who work extremely hard on the field and display leadership in all areas of their lives on and off-the-field with their training, behaviour and attitudes. I was not surprised to hear they acted the way they did at the time.”

Background information:

The young girl, wearing her school uniform — who was believed to have been attempting suicide — was spotted by passersby in the waters of Victoria Harbour about 7.30pm (Hong Kong time) on the 4th of October, 2007.

After hearing shouts from bystanders, midfielder Daniel Cross and defender Tom Williams dived into the harbour and swam to the rescue of the drowning woman.

The two players tried to use a life ring, however ended up having to drag her to shore.

Both Cross, 24, and Williams, 21, suffered minor cuts and bruises but said they were feeling fine.

"We noticed someone jumping in but to be honest we thought it was just one of the local fishermen. Then we realised something was wrong and just jumped in," Williams said.

"We had to swim 10km's to get her out and fight several sharks off at the same time ....... no really it was just 200m!" he laughed.

The pair, in Hong Kong as part of an unofficial team trip, were waiting to board a cruise boat when the alert was raised.

Cross still had his wallet and mobile phone in his pockets at the time of jumping into the water so his teammates were planning to buy him a new phone until Telstra offered him a free one.

This morning Telstra offered to take over that role saying that Cross should be rewarded for his actions.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cross and Williams

I thought we all might be interested to hear this.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Terrific actions by these 2 young guys!

I sincerely hope the young girl is well & enjoying life. Be a nice gesture if she could be on hand when the presentations are made.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Much better than most of the off-season player antics we keep hearing about. I shuddered when I heard about the Roos off-field dramas - the last thing they need.

Post Thanks / Like

What if another club's players were involved in this incident in the off-season? Here's some examples.

Essendon: One of Lloyd's team mates pushes the girl in, so Lloyd can practice diving in the off season.

Tigers: Richo is strolling along the jetty with some Tigers players. He spots the drowning girl and starts gesticulating at them to save her. They ignore him, the girl drowns and Richo has a tanty.

West Coast: One of their players is so out of it that he falls off the jetty. He is is spotted drowning by 2 local schoolgirls, who dive in and rescue him. They are later given a bravery award.

Collingwood: Three midfielders spot the drowning girl and dive in to save her. But they are such slow swimmers she drowns. Malthouse later says how proud he is of them.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

I sincerely hope the young girl is well & enjoying life. Be a nice gesture if she could be on hand when the presentations are made.
    Maybe we can hand over a membership and bring her to some games so she can die a slow painful death like the rest of us....

I know that's below the belt, but it needed to be said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What if another club's players were involved in this incident in the off-season? Here's some examples.

Essendon: One of Lloyd's team mates pushes the girl in, so Lloyd can practice diving in the off season.

Tigers: Richo is strolling along the jetty with some Tigers players. He spots the drowning girl and starts gesticulating at them to save her. They ignore him, the girl drowns and Richo has a tanty.

West Coast: One of their players is so out of it that he falls off the jetty. He is is spotted drowning by 2 local schoolgirls, who dive in and rescue him. They are later given a bravery award.

Collingwood: Three midfielders spot the drowning girl and dive in to save her. But they are such slow swimmers she drowns. Malthouse later says how proud he is of them.

LOL. The West Coast and Collwood ones were good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    LOL. The West Coast and Collwood ones were good
    I liked them all.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work DR although I find it more likely that Richo would jump in, grab the girl, get her back to land, then while trying to pass her over to awaiting teammates, toss her back into the bay thereby destroying all his good work.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

Haha, great work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Haha, great work.
    Thanks.

Anyone else want to have a crack at other clubs?

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong - Two Bulldogs players save a girl from drowning. Geelong Advertiser runs cover to cover with story about Gary Ablett Jr's summer holidays.

Adelaide - 2 players try to save a girl from drowning but end up drowning themselves thanks to 18 different kinds of scientific monitoring equipment that Neil Craig has made them wear in the off-season, weighing them down.

Fremantle - 2 players save a girl from drowning. Girl still prefers West Coast.

Not as good as yours DR, but I gave it a shot.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Geelong - Two Bulldogs players save a girl from drowning. Geelong Advertiser runs cover to cover with story about Gary Ablett Jr's summer holidays.

Adelaide - 2 players try to save a girl from drowning but end up drowning themselves thanks to 18 different kinds of scientific monitoring equipment that Neil Craig has made them wear in the off-season, weighing them down.

Fremantle - 2 players save a girl from drowning. Girl still prefers West Coast.

Not as good as yours DR, but I gave it a shot.
    I like them NB the Crows one.