Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  43
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd - Your expectations for 2016

Comparing Boyd vs Hogan is like comparing Hogan vs Heppell.

Boyd is 6cm taller than Hogan. You would expect him to take a bit longer to develop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_Doggies View Post
    Comparing Boyd vs Hogan is like comparing Hogan vs Heppell.

Boyd is 6cm taller than Hogan. You would expect him to take a bit longer to develop.
    A more sensible comparison is Stringer and Hogan. Same age, same number of years in the system, similar size, similar role, and Stringer leads in nearly every measure.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

3. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    On 2015, neither Tom nor Jack looked anywhere near the required mobility or endurance, however both have trimmed down and had another preseason, so it's a maybe but doubtful in my opinion. At some point, I wonder if both will be tried in alternating roles, where both play a higher, mobile (almost Crameri like) role for periods within a quarter.
    It's possible - both were certainly getting up the ground during NAB challenge.

Could have Boyd deeper and Redpath a bit further up the ground, then Redpath in the square when Boyd gives a ruck chop-out.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    A more sensible comparison is Stringer and Hogan. Same age, same number of years in the system, similar size, similar role, and Stringer leads in nearly every measure.
    My point was purely about height and bulk. A lot of people forget Boyd is bigger than Minson.

Post Thanks / Like

As long as Bevo and the MC are happy with Boydasaur Jnr and therefore keeps getting a game each week based on what their requirements and non negotiables are then I'm happy.

8. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

hAving a look back over weekends NAB cup he is moving better. I know he got points on weekend but he was able to get out on his own a lot more than last season - either running back ahead of a defender or leading up the ground. Good signs. If he'd kicked 3 goals instead of 3 points it would've made the papers!

What I would like is continued improvement and contribution. What I hope for is a break out game (say 5 or 6 goals or 10 marks) that gives him the confidence that he can do be the player I know he will be. And when that happens LOOK OUT!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

So long as he continues to improve I am happy. So long as he continues to show intensity I am happy. 2016 is another development year for Boyd - 10 games is par 15 is good any more is a bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Exactly my thoughts and I would like him to hold a few more marks which I think will come with confidence and exhibit more controlled aggression. Tom has the best looking kicking action of a full forward I can recall in recent times. I do think he will live up to our expectations, we just need to be patient. I also think he will end up being in leadership group when he does hit his straps.
    This year Tom will be given plenty of game time. He will gain experience in the pace and patterns of play at the highest level and find opportunities to use his natural assets, skills and what he's been taught. He will be like a second year apprentice. He will provide structure to our line up out of full forward and help out in the ruck. Occasional major impact will be a bonus, he is a second year apprentice. Hopefully he will back himself and be comfortable making the odd error but get into the action and present. He will avoid serious injury. (Is there a clause in his contract that covers not playing?)
    I expect the team to learn to deliver to him so that a synergy develops. I would back Macrae, Bont, McLean and Libba to do it now but with more game time, more habitual leading and delivery will develop.
    Tom's kicking action is natural and has a good striking motion as seen in that last frame. Looking at the second last frame however, the ball drop could be a lot lower. He should guide the ball down lower onto his foot, which also helps to keep the head over the ball and less time for mental errors.
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 09-03-2016 at 11:12 AM.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Tom's kicking action is natural and has a good striking motion as seen in that last frame. Looking at the second last frame however, the ball drop is too high. He should guide the ball down lower onto his foot.
    Like Tony Lockett. He use to place the ball practically on his foot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Now there's a good model.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Aker was my all time favourite model for the ball drop, his head was basically on his knee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Aker was my all time favourite model for the ball drop, his head was basically on his knee.
    Get Aker back as a goal kicking coach.
    Tell him to look for success from the accuracy of the Bulldogs goal kicking not from attention seeking from controversial opinions.
    Pity it's not going to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell him to look for success from the accuracy of the Bulldogs goal kicking not from attention seeking from controversial opinions.
    Akermanis kicked 114 goals 87 behinds at a percentage of 56% with the Bulldogs. Hardly the stuff of legend.

For a player who dropped the ball so close to his boot his kicks swung quite dramatically left to right and made kicking a goal on the left side of the goals extremely difficult.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Yes he was a great exponent too.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved watching Aker.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.