Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jong wants to add another dimension to his game

Link

EXPLOSIVE midfielder Lin Jong says he has overcome the injury woes that stymied his 2015 campaign and is ready to add another element to an already imposing Western Bulldogs midfield.

A broken hand hampered him earlier in the season and then a bout of osteitis pubis during the run to the finals robbed the 22-year-old of his trademark speed and power.

With ball magnets Marcus Bomtempelli, Tom Liberatore, Jack Macrae and Mitch Wallis not overly blessed with pace, a fit and firing Jong gives Luke Beveridge the full gamut of midfield weapons.

Twenty-two possessions and a goal in the Dogs' NAB Challenge loss to Melbourne at the weekend sent a message to the match committee that he's ready to face Fremantle at Etihad Stadium in round one.

"Personally, I was happy with how I played," Jong told AFL.com.au.

"I've had an interrupted pre-season (due to groin surgery) and it was my first game back, so it was good to be out there.

"I feel really fit and healthy, so if they pick me I'm ready to play round one."

Standing 188cm tall, Jong has similar physical attributes to Patrick Dangerfield, and he is happy to model his game on the Geelong superstar.

While he admits he has along way to go to match the output of the three-time All Australian, Jong says it's inspiring to watch the former Crow run rampant.

"The way he uses his speed is something I'd really like to do," Jong said.

"The coaches tell me to use my speed as much as I can and break away from packs a bit more.

"Patrick is such a great player and I aspire to be a better player and keep improving, so I like to adapt my game to his."

Dangerfield's ability to push forward and kick goals isn't lost on Jong either and he's eager to add that capability to his game.

"He goes forward and really makes an impact, and that's something I really want to improve on," Jong said.

"I want to be a more complete player offensively, defensively and get my skills right."

With the Bulldogs having only Clay Smith and Roarke Smith on the injury list, Jong says competition for spots has created a friendly rivalry among the club's midfield brigade.

"It's a healthy competition because we have so many mids running around, but that's just a good indication of where we're at as a team," Jong said.

"Last year we made really big strides and we're not satisfied with that, especially the finals loss to Adelaide.

"We're really looking to improve again, take it up another level and go deeper into the finals."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jong wants to add another dimension to his game

Missing piece of the puzzle in many respects. If we can add his outside pace and ability to mark the ball deep forward he will be a powerful asset.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Missing piece of the puzzle in many respects. If we can add his outside pace and ability to mark the ball deep forward he will be a powerful asset.
    I agree. He is a fairly reliable kick for goal too.

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't know he had OP last year, explains why he lost his zip after the hand injury.

Different player with his run back. Really looking forward to see how he goes this year.

Post Thanks / Like

He certainly has some tools and points of difference. Good weapon.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I agree. He is a fairly reliable kick for goal too.
    Seems to have improved his kicking from his first couple of years.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

This bloke has improved every season....and fully expect him to take another step this season.

The two missing elements.....poise and decision making.....but he has developed considerably in these two areas as well.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I first saw him play, I thought he would not make it to be honest. His disposal looked so ungainly.
    A great student.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

He might lack some disposal efficiency, but Jong has speed, agility and more importantly, the right mental attributes that have seen him improve year on year from rookie to best 22. Massive potential to fill a gap, and with the general state of play so focussed on stoppages and mass numbers around the ball, players like Jong get bonus points.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I first saw him play, I thought he would not make it to be honest. His disposal looked so ungainly.
    A great student.
    It was no doubt a fair observation at the time but hard work has paid off for him and he does need to keep improving.

He still has a way to but it's hard not to admire what he has achieved so far
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing that stood out was his courage, then his ball winning ability, then his pace, all of a sudden he could mark and win clearances. He seems to develop a new part of his game every year. Let's hope for an injury free season.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Jong could be a candidate for a Matty Boyd type role in a year or 2. His pace and strength overhead could be real weapons across half back and that extra bit of time you can get off half back could really see his disposal/decision making develop.

Post Thanks / Like

What's all this talk about him as a footballer? I listened to the tv coverage in the games he's ever played and I've not heard anything like this stuff about footballing skills or attributes. He's breaking down ethnic barriers, he's holding up a mirror to multicultural society. You can take the boy out of the Oakleigh Chargers, but you can't take the Oakleigh Chargers out of the boy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes Greystache liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    What's all this talk about him as a footballer? I listened to the tv coverage in the games he's ever played and I've not heard anything like this stuff about footballing skills or attributes. He's breaking down ethnic barriers, he's holding up a mirror to multicultural society. You can take the boy out of the Oakleigh Chargers, but you can't take the Oakleigh Chargers out of the boy.
    Is that you Clementine? Didn't know you moonlighted on WOOF when you're not a "journalist"
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My fav 5 Dogs players are Murphy, Bont, Stringer, Picken and Jong. Three are jets and two are g&d types. Picken made it through desire - despite limitations. Jong can do the same - despite poor kicking skills.

Certain players just grab you because you can see something in them. They have that X factor you can relate to and you take a liking to them. It's one of the joys of watching the game. I haven't seen a Dogs flag, but geez I've taken a lot out of watching players like Foster, Morris, Libba Snr, Kennedy, McKenna, Wheeler & co get the best out of themselves. Caleb Daniel is another favourite now that I think of it.

Those players are easy to relate to. They have their limitations, yet they make up for it with desire. As a fan, that's something I can relate to. More so than the natural star - much as I love them, too!

Jong is one of those guys I tend to ride every bump and kick with. There's just something about him that makes me especially want him to succeed. I really, really like the kid. I think it's simply that combination of imperfection and desire. Maybe the "underdog" factor. It's hard to explain.

18. Likes josie, N/A, 1eyedog, Dancin' Douggy liked this post