Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo had a bit of a chat to the players about kicking

Link

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says inaccurate goalkicking has been addressed within the team and he expects last year’s grand finalists will begin to turn the tide after a slow start this season.

The Bulldogs will enter the Good Friday match against North Melbourne as the second-worst side in the competition for goal accuracy, only converting 40 per cent of shots at goal this season.

Beveridge said the Bulldogs’ 38-point loss against Richmond last weekend was “the height of our lack of efficiency” during his time at the club, with the team kicking 19 behinds and only seven goals.

The premiership-winning coach said the issue had been “verbally” addressed, with some set-shot practice taking place during training on Wednesday.

“On a shorter week, you can’t spend a lot of time on repetition. A lot of it’s about recovery and preparing for the next challenge,” he said.

“But we did enough yesterday to get ourselves in the right frame of mind.”

Beveridge was still upbeat about the Bulldogs’ start to the season, despite the club recording only one win after four rounds after inaccurate displays in front of goal.

“The positives with it all are the opportunities we are creating,” said Beveridge. “We feel like we haven’t drawn the benefits from the way we have defended as a team.”

Beveridge said the Bulldogs’ kicking woes were partly psychological, with sets shots in particular hurting their scoring efficiency.

However, he also said five rushed behinds against Richmond inflated the scale of the team’s inaccuracy, with inside-50 entries also to blame.

“We don’t feel like we are doing that well enough. For all the inside-50s we’re getting we can turn them into better quality entries,” he said.

“I think one of the things you try not to do is turn it into a gorilla because you’re talking about it too much and spending too much time on it. So, we’ve got faith we’ll come out of it.”

Beveridge confirmed key defender Zaine Cordy would return to the side against the Kangaroos on Friday after missing last Saturday’s game against Richmond due to a concussion sustained in round three.

Small forward Laith Vandermeer will also come out of the team that faced Richmond in round four due to a hamstring injury.
    Related Article
    Tom Hawkins was not penalised despite the Lions players appealing for a push in the back.
    AFL 2022
    AFL round 4 briefing: Key takeouts, MRO news

Mitch Wallis could return to the starting side after spending the last two matches as medical substitute. Beveridge said his experience made him ideal for the role compared to younger players.

“I know that it’s happened at other AFL clubs, but there are one or two of our new bloods ... that we’d like to give a game to at AFL level when they are ready and that’s unlikely to be as a sub. We’ve never done that,” Beveridge said.

The Bulldogs will face a North Melbourne side that put up a strong showing in an 11-point loss to Sydney last week.

The match will raise funds for the Royal Children’s Hospital and the Good Friday Appeal.

“As the Kangaroos and our club has said over the journey, we love the fact we are a part of it and we want to be a part of it for a long time,” said Beveridge.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bevo had a bit of a chat to the players about kicking

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post

Mitch Wallis could return to the starting side after spending the last two matches as medical substitute. Beveridge said his experience made him ideal for the role compared to younger players.

“I know that it’s happened at other AFL clubs, but there are one or two of our new bloods ... that we’d like to give a game to at AFL level when they are ready and that’s unlikely to be as a sub. We’ve never done that,” Beveridge said.
    Looks like we won't be debuting any players as the sub this year.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

3. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Looks like we won't be debuting any players as the sub this year.
    Nup.
    Arty Jones straight in this week perhaps...
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes SquirrelGrip, josie, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How could you possibly look to give Wallis *more* game time on the back of his past two weeks as the sub.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Nup.
    Arty Jones straight in this week perhaps...
    Could be the ideal game for him. Did some nice things last week in the VFL, but is he ready?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    How could you possibly look to give Wallis *more* game time on the back of his past two weeks as the sub.
    He can kick straight? It's a reach.

Post Thanks / Like

Baffling
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    He can kick straight? It's a reach.
    I mean I feel like this is true generally speaking, but then I remember him missing from 20m out dead in front against Sydney.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I mean I feel like this is true generally speaking, but then I remember him missing from 20m out dead in front against Sydney.
    and Richmond

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We're supposedly good now: they "verbally" addressed it and did a spot of practice yesterday!
    "Don't want to turn it into a gorilla of a problem by focussing on it" or words to that effect!
    Not a gorilla, it's an elephant in the room because it cannot be ignored.
    Don't focus on it and it will go away works sometimes but at a professional level?

13. Likes josie, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously the VFL team were absent for the chat.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

15. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our Top 5 goalkickers to date:

2022 Western Bulldogs Total Goals Leaders (Minimum 4 Games Played)
    Rank Name Games Total
    1 Aaron Naughton 17 44
    2 Cody Weightman 16 27
    3 Marcus Bontempelli 17 21
    4 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan 12 15
    5 Adam Treloar 18 14
    5 Josh Dunkley 18 14