Thanks Thanks:  39
Likes Likes:  195
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Our jumper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our jumper

Hun reporting a 1.3 mill dollar loss in merchandise revenue last year part of the reasoning.

Excerpt :

God of Thunder to one side, the Bulldogs’ latest annual report reveals why the club needs the cash registers roaring early in the season.

The Bulldogs had a 53 per cent decrease in merchandise sales last year — about $1.3 million in lost revenue.

The Dogs reported an overall profit of $2.2 million (excluding redevelopment grants), its fourth consecutive seven-figure result despite a second consecutive year of no finals.

The 2018 financial report said the club would focus on “creating new and exciting merchandise offers”.

“With some milestone games likely in 2019 and the first ever AFL game at Marvel Stadium on Round 1, there are strong opportunities to create some special merchandise offerings above the club’s match day apparel,”

2. Thanks GVGjr, Bulldog4life, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Of course our merchandise revenue was going to drop off significantly after a flag. Everybody bought up big after 2016, it would have dropped off even if we went back to back. I bet Richmond's merch revenue drops off significantly this year as well.

I don't have an issue with trying to generate some additional income with initiatives such as these. We can't afford to be too proud, we might be travelling well financially at present but it won't take much for us find ourselves in trouble again in the future if we get complacent.

Full article quoted by GG above:

Western Bulldogs pushing to reverse a massive drop in merchandise sales during the 2018 season

The Western Bulldogs’ controversial Thor jumper is a key plank in the club’s push to reverse a superhero-size drop in merchandise sales.

The Round 1 guernsey riffs on Marvel’s Norse god’s armour on the front and his crimson cape at the back.

Sydney will wear a strip with a white back to avoid a jumper clash at Marvel Stadium on March 23.

God of Thunder to one side, the Bulldogs’ latest annual report reveals why the club needs the cash registers roaring early in the season.

The Bulldogs had a 53 per cent decrease in merchandise sales last year — about $1.3 million in lost revenue.

The Dogs reported an overall profit of $2.2 million (excluding redevelopment grants), its fourth consecutive seven-figure result despite a second consecutive year of no finals.

The 2018 financial report said the club would focus on “creating new and exciting merchandise offers”.

“With some milestone games likely in 2019 and the first ever AFL game at Marvel Stadium on Round 1, there are strong opportunities to create some special merchandise offerings above the club’s match day apparel,” the report said

Chris Hemsworth — who plays Thor in the Marvel movies — is a Bulldogs fan and it’s hoped the jumper will give the club a platform to reach young fans.

The Bulldogs leadership group was consulted about the jumper.

“The club worked closely with the players to come up with the design of the guernsey, and it has been enthusiastically supported by the playing group,” captain Easton Wood said.

The club said a portion of the proceeds of jumper sales would go to the Make A Wish foundation.

The one-off jumper has polarised opinion among fans and Bulldogs legend Doug Hawkins said he wouldn’t wear the jumper

“Footy has changed and society has changed,” Hawkins told SEN. “I am living back in the ’80s when we were all playing footy and we probably wouldn’t do that. We wouldn’t wear a jumper like that.

“If it’s a one-off thing for a promotion to promote the club, the game or sponsors and stuff like that, you’d do it.

“But you wouldn’t wear it more than once, surely?”

4. Thanks Bulldog4life, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be interesting to know if we hadn't missed our merchandise budget by 50% if we would have considered the new jumper but I suspect we would have.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

So we are hoping this makes money is my interpretation from that article. I was hoping there'd be a guaranteed cheque for selling out a little bit. I haven't read all the details, but will Chris Hemsworth appear at half time and with a rotating camera pan across the crowd for people wearing the new jumper and pick one jumper wearer to get a $2,000 Geelong Travel Gift Card and photos with him after the game? Is that how we are trying to increase sales and return on investment? It might add a fair bit if this is bigger than just a jumper.

Ah, the M&M light club Carlton jumper... I wonder how much they got for that?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ah, the M&M light club Carlton jumper... I wonder how much they got for that?
    According to their accountant minus $5,000,000
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Wood is a big Marvel fan, I think you will find he thinks it's a good idea
    Okay, I'll take your word for it, but he looks like he's gritting his teeth to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It would be interesting to know if we hadn't missed our merchandise budget by 50% if we would have considered the new jumper but I suspect we would have.
    I'd suspect its largely the premiership merchandising drop off

We are likely also currying favour with the AFL - in supporting their new partner

Post Thanks / Like

It looks ridiculous and it is ridiculous. The players will now surely enter by flying in over the stands with jetpacks on their backs, land on a podium and start belting out meatloaf songs before the bounce. What b/s.

Post Thanks / Like

I have read through this thread...

I have to admit, I don't get the outrage.

1/. It's one game.
    2/. It's a bit of fun.
    3/. It has everyone talking about the club.
    4/. It isn't as if we haven't worn equally ridiculous jumpers in the past! And had ridiculous club attire - who could ever forget those lime green hats that were in the membership packs one year way, way back...
    5/. We might make some money out of it - and some of the proceeds are going to charity.

I have been very frustrated with the club for not trying things/doing enough in terms of putting out positive stories...isn't this positive? I would have been kind of annoyed if Essendon were running around in Iron Man suits (I said superman but Mr. 12 informed me that was the 'wrong' sort of comic book hero which has me even more confused...aren't they all equally stupid??) and I think everyone on here would be yelling that "WE should be doing that" and showing that kind of initiative etc...I don't know, maybe Essendon WILL do that and get paid 10x the amount we do...who knows?

I know kids like super heroes. I imagine they will want the jumper. I think kids who support other clubs will be jealous. We will think back in the future about 'the day we wore the THOR outfits' (maybe with mirth or disdain but it will be memorable)...how is any of this stuff 'bad'.

If we were replacing our jumper for the season, well, sure...get upset and scream about the amount of money we had 'better' be getting paid, but for a once off, who really cares?

And for anyone questioning my allegiance to the club based on all this, I am a 25-year member (and bloody proud of it)...Social Club member, Charlie Sutton member...I pay for 5x memberships even though ALL of those people live interstate and only 2 of them support the club (me being one) AND still do the Bulldogs Backyard thing...honestly, this is just a bit of fun and footy is SUPPOSED to be FUN!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    It looks ridiculous and it is ridiculous. The players will now surely enter by flying in over the stands with jetpacks on their backs, land on a podium and start belting out meatloaf songs before the bounce. What b/s.
    Should’ve been against Carlton where there could’ve been a WWF style showdown at half time between Captain Carlton and a fully kitted our God of Thunder, Chris Hemsworth.

Post Thanks / Like

Garry Hocking really changed his name to Whiskers for one game? That's funny. At least you can take a jumper off. I bet he had to wear that one for a looong time.

It's a missed opportunity really. They should have gone whole hog and made everyone wear blonde wigs.
    Wonder if Caleb D will have those little wings on his helmet. Club, attention to details please.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I have read through this thread...

I have to admit, I don't get the outrage.

1/. It's one game.
    2/. It's a bit of fun.
    3/. It has everyone talking about the club.
    4/. It isn't as if we haven't worn equally ridiculous jumpers in the past! And had ridiculous club attire - who could ever forget those lime green hats that were in the membership packs one year way, way back...
    5/. We might make some money out of it - and some of the proceeds are going to charity.

I have been very frustrated with the club for not trying things/doing enough in terms of putting out positive stories...isn't this positive? I would have been kind of annoyed if Essendon were running around in Iron Man suits (I said superman but Mr. 12 informed me that was the 'wrong' sort of comic book hero which has me even more confused...aren't they all equally stupid??) and I think everyone on here would be yelling that "WE should be doing that" and showing that kind of initiative etc...I don't know, maybe Essendon WILL do that and get paid 10x the amount we do...who knows?

I know kids like super heroes. I imagine they will want the jumper. I think kids who support other clubs will be jealous. We will think back in the future about 'the day we wore the THOR outfits' (maybe with mirth or disdain but it will be memorable)...how is any of this stuff 'bad'.

If we were replacing our jumper for the season, well, sure...get upset and scream about the amount of money we had 'better' be getting paid, but for a once off, who really cares?

And for anyone questioning my allegiance to the club based on all this, I am a 25-year member (and bloody proud of it)...Social Club member, Charlie Sutton member...I pay for 5x memberships even though ALL of those people live interstate and only 2 of them support the club (me being one) AND still do the Bulldogs Backyard thing...honestly, this is just a bit of fun and footy is SUPPOSED to be FUN!
    In my humble opinion (which anyone can take with a grain of salt), it's not just the silly looking jumper in isolation, but rolling, snowballing effect that comes with it.

We don't seem to have put a foot right since winning the GF. I thought that it would be the dawning of a new era - an independent, fierce dynasty, rolling good on field results (not necessarily another flag, but at least being up amongst it) and showing the AFL world at large that we could "stick it right up them!"

Instead, lost half the GF team, have languished in the bottom half of the ladder, appear to have no spark or inspiration and are then made a laughing stock of the AFL at large by selling this ridiculous looking kit. We appear to have reached the top, panicked and run back into our shells, only to come out again when the AFL dog-whistles. What or who's fault that is, I have no idea. But now is not the time to try to be innovative with our kit. Be innovative on the field for god's sake and thump some other teams and then we can have a look at sparkles on our jumper.
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Showed my son the strip last night and there was no 'can I wear that?' from him - it's subjective though..if they came out with a top that looked like Cyborg from Teen Titans he'd be all over it.

Oh, and asides from the post premiership drop off in merch sales, surely the club has to look at Asics moving forward - they've produced some horrible looking gear.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

If we need to revive our post-flag merch sales we could always try not being you know, shit.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Garry Hocking really changed his name to Whiskers for one game? That's funny. At least you can take a jumper off. I bet he had to wear that one for a looong time.
    He did, and the AFL were so angry about it in the record that week they refused to put "Whiskas" next to his name and he was referred to as "No. 32"
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers