Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robbo's top 50

Post Thanks / Like

Robbo's top 50

Herald Sun chief football writer Mark Robinson’s annual list of the Top 50 players in the AFL generates plenty of debate in footy circles when it’s released and this year’s edition is no different..
    The Western Bulldogs’ Jake Stringer made it into the top 10 for the first time, and Marcus Bontempelli and Bob Murphy also found a place amongst the top 50, however it was the omission of Sutton Medallist Easton Wood that would have caught the attention of the red, white and blue faithful.
    The Dogs had three players in the list, placing them alongside Geelong, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and Adelaide as the teams with the fourth most players on the list. Hawthorn has the most, with eight.
    In selecting the Bulldogs trio into his Top-50, and omitting Wood, this is what Robinson used to support his selections.

10: Jake Stringer
    “The bolter. It’s not a case of Jake in the top 50, it’s a case of where. I’ve got him high. He’s 22 in April, he’s already an All-Australian and set to elevate his game. Great combo of strength, speed, goal sense and attitude.”

30: Marcus Bontempelli
    “Did I say (Dylan Shiel) is the emerging star? This young man – he’s just 20 – might be the best of the group. Some rate him higher than Stringer.”

43: Robert Murphy
    “Career 2015 season for Bob and speed/agility should be a problem in 2016. Shaw, Burgoyne and Murphy just have to be in the top 50 because they are so valuable.”

Easton Wood
    “Mike Sheahan used to always have a 51st player, and Easton Wood was mine.
    “Look, I went with Heath Shaw, Shaun Burgoyne, Josh Gibson, Bob Murphy, Harry Taylor and Alex Rance as my defenders, and was pretty heavy on the emerging players.
    "Yes, Wood was unlucky because the intercept defender is gold.”

Link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Robbo's top 50

That reasoning for not picking Wood is so stupid.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That reasoning for not picking Wood is so stupid.
    I would take Wood anytime over Burgoyne if I was picking a team right now. (which is his rationale for the top 50)

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would take Wood anytime over Burgoyne if I was picking a team right now. (which is his rationale for the top 50)

He's a better player than Gibson too but premiership winning form is hard to argue against.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Harry Taylor was well below his best last year. Surely going on recent form Wood trumps Taylor

Post Thanks / Like

2020 List

Post Thanks / Like

Herald Sun chief football writer Mark Robinson’s annual list of the Top 50 players in the AFL generates plenty of debate in footy circles when it’s released and this year’s edition is no different..
    The Western Bulldogs’ Jake Stringer made it into the top 10 for the first time, and Marcus Bontempelli and Bob Murphy also found a place amongst the top 50, however it was the omission of Sutton Medallist Easton Wood that would have caught the attention of the red, white and blue faithful.
    The Dogs had three players in the list, placing them alongside Geelong, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and Adelaide as the teams with the fourth most players on the list. Hawthorn has the most, with eight.
    In selecting the Bulldogs trio into his Top-50, and omitting Wood, this is what Robinson used to support his selections.

10: Jake Stringer
    “The bolter. It’s not a case of Jake in the top 50, it’s a case of where. I’ve got him high. He’s 22 in April, he’s already an All-Australian and set to elevate his game. Great combo of strength, speed, goal sense and attitude.”

30: Marcus Bontempelli
    “Did I say (Dylan Shiel) is the emerging star? This young man – he’s just 20 – might be the best of the group. Some rate him higher than Stringer.”

43: Robert Murphy
    “Career 2015 season for Bob and speed/agility should be a problem in 2016. Shaw, Burgoyne and Murphy just have to be in the top 50 because they are so valuable.”

Easton Wood
    “Mike Sheahan used to always have a 51st player, and Easton Wood was mine.
    “Look, I went with Heath Shaw, Shaun Burgoyne, Josh Gibson, Bob Murphy, Harry Taylor and Alex Rance as my defenders, and was pretty heavy on the emerging players.
    "Yes, Wood was unlucky because the intercept defender is gold.”

Link
    Love that the lasts posts are 6months shy of us winning the 2016 flag.
    How different would our players ratings have been if we all had an inclination of what was about to happen.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

And what a mighty fall from grace by Jake Stringer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    And what a mighty fall from grace by Jake Stringer.
    You take that back!

BORDERLINE FLYING

10. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry I forgot........he's borderline flying AS WE SPEAK. Can't believe Robbo wasn't aware of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    You take that back!

Jakey beating up on the might of Gold Coast Suns there.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    sorry I forgot........he's borderline flying AS WE SPEAK. Can't believe Robbo wasn't aware of it.
    It's funny, I would have thought a player borderline flying would have been sighted during a preseason game?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's funny, I would have thought a player borderline flying would have been sighted during a preseason game?
    He missed the weekend match due to personal reasons

Post Thanks / Like

Had a mini heart attack when I saw a headline along the lines of Bulldogs Scandal yesterday. Thankfully it is the Canterbury Bulldogs involving players and school girls - sound familiar?

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He didn't play in the first practice match against West Coast either. Hhmmm.