Sydney Swans v Collingwood ANZ Stadium 7.25pm

North Melbourne v Adelaide Etihad Stadium 7.25pm

Sunday March 27

Western Bulldogs v Fremantle Etihad Stadium 1.10pm

Port Adelaide v St Kilda Adelaide Oval 3.20pm

West Coast Eagles v Brisbane Lions Subiaco Oval 7.40pm

Monday March 28

Geelong v Hawthorn MCG 3:20pm
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2016 Discussion

It's very early but Carlton already look like a different team under Bolton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    It's very early but Carlton already look like a different team under Bolton.
    Still don't have a forward line, Richmond haven't changed at all.
    That's only after the 1st qtr though.
    I think if a top side was playing either of them tonight they would both be getting flogged.
    Neither side have showed any sort of forward line plan of attack.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Still don't have a forward line, Richmond haven't changed at all.
    That's only after the 1st qtr though.
    I think if a top side was playing either of them tonight they would both be getting flogged.
    Neither side have showed any sort of forward line plan of attack.
    Agree with you there. I was mainly commenting on their ball movement, which is quicker than in previous years.

Post Thanks / Like

Richmond have looked ordinary tonight (though I didn't see the last six or seven minutes of the second). Full credit to the Blues in having a crack.

Post Thanks / Like

Weitering is going to be a gun.

Not a big call for a number one, but he's been very composed in marking contests and has used the ball very well.
    Last edited by jeemak; 25-03-2016 at 01:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Watched about half the game, very scrappy affair but Carton looks better than last year while Richmond supporters look like they will have many games to fight amongst each other.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Umpires called some ridiculous deliberate out of bounds. Hope this is not going to flow through to every game. The worse one was Kreuzer kicks the ball out of a pack, and shanks it towards the boundary line. The filed umpire asks the boundary umpire if it was touched, he says no, so the filed umpire calls it deliberate. This sort of stuff puts people off AFL.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Umpires called some ridiculous deliberate out of bounds. Hope this is not going to flow through to every game. The worse one was Kreuzer kicks the ball out of a pack, and shanks it towards the boundary line. The filed umpire asks the boundary umpire if it was touched, he says no, so the filed umpire calls it deliberate. This sort of stuff puts people off AFL.
    That was a particularly atrocious call.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

That was terrible. I'll have no hair by the end of the year if that's the bench mark. As alluded to on the telly, under the pump, 6 foot 6 and on the left. He was lucky to get as much on it as he did, or unlucky as it turned out.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are all nuts.

The AFL said it was going to improve the game beyond the cheap Sunday pies and LED lights from last year, and they've come up with a new ten metre rule that completely disregards physics and potentially quantum mechanics, whilst also taking mitigation away from tall uncoordinated people when they make mistakes by judging those mistakes as punishable offences subject to over the top penalties.

What's not to like?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Weitering is going to be a gun.

Not a big call for a number one, but he's been very composed in marking contests and has used the ball very well.
    He has the best (softest, one grab) hands in the comp already. Big call but I'm super impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Car v Rich: from what I'm reading, Car basically ran out of rotations well before the conclusion of the 4th qtr and that contributed to their loss. The bit of the game I watched indicated that they were copying our men of mayhem style (extreme forward defensive press) though not as well. I don't think this style of play can be used for any great length of game time with the cap on interchanges. We modified it significantly in the second half of the season anyway.

Players with stamina may well be the new black by the end of the season.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Car v Rich: from what I'm reading, Car basically ran out of rotations well before the conclusion of the 4th qtr and that contributed to their loss. The bit of the game I watched indicated that they were copying our men of mayhem style (extreme forward defensive press) though not as well. I don't think this style of play can be used for any great length of game time with the cap on interchanges. We modified it significantly in the second half of the season anyway.

Players with stamina may well be the new black by the end of the season.
    Watching Foxtel the other day, "AFL Round Table Coaches" Rocket said something interesting. If the interchanges keep getting restricted, then teams will revert to chipping the ball around in the backline, so that players can have a rest. This of course can lead to flooding to stop the chipping around. All of a sudden we have so called ugly football. The AFL just doesn't see the consequences of changing rules and what it does to our game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Hotdog60, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching Foxtel the other day, "AFL Round Table Coaches" Rocket said something interesting. If the interchanges keep getting restricted, then teams will revert to chipping the ball around in the backline, so that players can have a rest. This of course can lead to flooding to stop the chipping around. All of a sudden we have so called ugly football. The AFL just doesn't see the consequences of changing rules and what it does to our game.
    I think that is a crock. Badly coached teams might resort to that but I think the IC restrictions will lead to teams have more versatile players which will be a good thing.

The major problem with having unrestricted changes is for a team that gets a game ending injury early because the other team can just keep making substantially more changes. The facts supported this.
    This is also what led to the sub-rule as a way of not disadvantaging a team than copped an early injury which ironically Rocket also took longer than other coaches to accept.

We can't give the coaches a free run at making unlimited interchanges because I think the spectacle of 3 or 4 players from on one team running to the bench at the same time after a goal isn't good for the game.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post