Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2016 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Watching Foxtel the other day, "AFL Round Table Coaches" Rocket said something interesting. If the interchanges keep getting restricted, then teams will revert to chipping the ball around in the backline, so that players can have a rest. This of course can lead to flooding to stop the chipping around. All of a sudden we have so called ugly football. The AFL just doesn't see the consequences of changing rules and what it does to our game.
    That is what the mediocre sides may well do. We have one of the best forward press games, so if they want to do that, as we did to quite a few sides last year, we will be pressuring the forward turn overs and creaming the goals.

The better sides will use their superior ball retention skills to methodically move the ball upfield while still controlling the tempo as suits them. I think we can be one of those sides.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think that is a crock. Badly coached teams might resort to that but I think the IC restrictions will lead to teams have more versatile players which will be a good thing.

The major problem with having unrestricted changes is for a team that gets a game ending injury early because the other team can just keep making substantially more changes. The facts supported this.
    This is also what led to the sub-rule as a way of not disadvantaging a team than copped an early injury which ironically Rocket also took longer than other coaches to accept.

We can't give the coaches a free run at making unlimited interchanges because I think the spectacle of 3 or 4 players from on one team running to the bench at the same time after a goal isn't good for the game.
    You misunderstand, Rocket was talking about reducing the interchange even further. He agreed 90 was about right. There has been some talk going down to 40, ie 10 a quarter.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

You misunderstand, Rocket was talking about reducing the interchange even further. He agreed 90 was about right. There has been some talk going down to 40, ie 10 a quarter.
    I'm sure I read he didn't want it to drop from 120 but either way his predictions of flooding and chipping the ball around etc are premature.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I read he didn't want it to drop from 120 but either way his predictions of flooding and chipping the ball around etc are premature.
    He said if it was reduced further, ie from 90.

BTW: Last night Richmond had 80 and Carlton 88, so 90 sounds about right at this stage.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He said if it was reduced further, ie from 90.

BTW: Last night Richmond had 80 and Carlton 88, so 90 sounds about right at this stage.
    90 is a good starting point.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

We can't give the coaches a free run at making unlimited interchanges because I think the spectacle of 3 or 4 players from on one team running to the bench at the same time after a goal isn't good for the game.
    Why is this an issue? If ever there is a time to interchange players it is when the ball is out of play for 45 seconds. even if we reduce the quantity of changes further I would still expect to see mass changes during set shots and after goals have been kicked. Sides can't afford to lose a player in their attempt to setup a press or zone, or lose an outlet when they are breaking through that zone.

And it's hardly that big a blight aesthetically either. Besides, NFL see's the entire field change over, ice hockey likewise except they are jumping over a fence to do so, and then at the other end you have soccer players going as slow as they possibly can, undressing as they come off the field.

How many players are swapping over at once and when is surely not that big an issue that it needs to be addressed.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I'm actually with Eade to an extent, because coaches are inherently risk averse and will tend to go defencive rather than attacking meaning if players are fatigued the game will be slowed down and numbers will go behind the ball.

It will be interesting to see how the year pans out, if we don't see an increase in scores I don't think a further reduction will do much to change things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm actually with Eade to an extent, because coaches are inherently risk averse and will tend to go defencive rather than attacking meaning if players are fatigued the game will be slowed down and numbers will go behind the ball.

It will be interesting to see how the year pans out, if we don't see an increase in scores I don't think a further reduction will do much to change things.
    I agree to an extent, but the better coaches will exploit the new rule and the out of touch/limited coaches will try to minimise the impact. It'll give progressive coaches an extra tool to work with.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I hope that Hogan is a whinge in the media if anyone criticises him for his game today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    I hope that Hogan is a whinge in the media if anyone criticises him for his game today.
    He couldn't get a kick in a horse fight but has been given 2 of the softest free kicks in front of goal in the last quarter you'll ever see. Looks like he's going to be the new Nick Riewoldt, throw him some charity if he can't have an impact.

No doubt Boyd will have 3 defenders holding onto him tomorrow and it'll be play on. Then we'll hear how he just has to work harder to beat his opponent.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He couldn't get a kick in a horse fight but has been given 2 of the softest free kicks in front of goal in the last quarter you'll ever see. Looks like he's going to be the new Nick Riewoldt, throw him some charity if he can't have an impact.

No doubt Boyd will have 3 defenders holding onto him tomorrow and it'll be play on. Then we'll hear how he just has to work harder to beat his opponent.

Yep, I can easily see someone (like Barrett for example) saying "Hogan struggled for 3 quarters but was instrumental in the final quarter" when they were soft as hell and he was still sooking for the 3 quarters when things didn't go his way. I guarantee that if Boyd had a similar game then he would be hung, drawn & quartered.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wait for Hogan to put off the contract extension talks at the end of this season. Popcorn time, as the Yanks say.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Gee GWS threw that away . Any sign of Griffin in the last ?
    Full credit to the Dees, but that game should have been over by 3/4 time.
    Clayton Oliver very impressive .
    Is Anthony Hudson trying to hard to be heard ? He was yelling at the end

Post Thanks / Like

My god if Essendon are like this in the first game it's going to be a very very embarrassing time for the AFL, ANZAC day will be a disaster.
    Bring back the biff

15. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    My god if Essendon are like this in the first game it's going to be a very very embarrassing time for the AFL, ANZAC day will be a disaster.
    and the schadenfreude shall be so very delicious
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.