Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Media Bias Towards the Bulldogs

Our win was as exciting foot as we saw over the weekend.
    Yet Access All areas gave a really poor wrap.

"Is the Bulldogs gamestyle sustainable throughout the year? "
    I think last year we played quite freely, but ours was more a lock in in the 50 job against Freo.
    Ours is not a play on at all costs style, we are capable of slowing it up.
    I think pegging us as a 'run and gun' side is dog-whistling us as a 'flakey' side.

"Is their gamestyle transportable to the MCG?"

If we played Freo in a final on Sunday I can't imagine the result would have been that different. Again, it's just another put down.

Instead we get more coverage on the show about Dane Swan's foot, Stevie J's selfishness - there are 30,000 fans who would have liked a non-biased commentary about the game. How about Easton Wood's mark? Stringer's 5? I know it's a short segment but it was poor.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Media Bias against the Bulldogs

We are use to bias reporting.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True enough. But to quote twisted sister ' We're not gonna take it!'.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

From the media coverage i have a seen and heard over the weekend about our game this thread is a total overeaction.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes boydogs, Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    From the media coverage i have a seen and heard over the weekend about our game this thread is a total overeaction.
    Why then, is our game style 'not transportable to the MCG?' Isn't this a curious statement to you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Why then, is our game style 'not transportable to the MCG?' Isn't this a curious statement to you?
    It's just nonsense. We're like every home team, we play better on more familiar terrain .
    Eagles play better in Perth, Sydney at the SCG, and so on . We lost that final, because we didn't defend well enough, and didn't take our chances. We beat Richmond there, and put in a stinker against the Dees, where our intensity didn't exist .

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly Sorry for the direct comments. I should have expanded more.

Not really. Fact is off the top of my head we lose more than we win at the G.

Has our game plan evolved enough to win big games at the MCG?

Unfortunately GD we will have to listen to those questions more often than not as we don't play there enough to satisfy them.

My main gripe with this thread is we had a great win yet we still manage to find something to complain about. As members and supporters we need to stop this 'woe is me' attitude.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

10. Likes Ghost Dog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Firstly Sorry for the direct comments. I should have expanded more.

Not really. Fact is off the top of my head we lose more than we win at the G.

Has our game plan evolved enough to win big games at the MCG?

Unfortunately GD we will have to listen to those questions more often than not as we don't play there enough to satisfy them.

My main gripe with this thread is we had a great win yet we still manage to find something to complain about. As members and supporters we need to stop this 'woe is me' attitude.
    Point taken. I'm not sure we have to have a 'woe is me' attitude to point out media bias.

Post Thanks / Like

The talking heads just swing in the breeze to be honest .
    Gotta sort your way through the dross, but it's hard to find decent commentary
    We were " irrelevant " two years ago, and now we're "sexy"!
    We're Port Adelaide at seasons start, and we're a "glamour" team now!
    I think the Port reference is lazy journalism, and just making a comparison for the sake of it .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    The talking heads just swing in the breeze to be honest .
    Gotta sort your way through the dross, but it's hard to find decent commentary
    We were " irrelevant " two years ago, and now we're "sexy"!
    We're Port Adelaide at seasons start, and we're a "glamour" team now!
    I think the Port reference is lazy journalism, and just making a comparison for the sake of it .
    Spot on Remi.
    David King who has had us sliding all pre season said on the Couch last night that his rating of us changes now and that he and Dunstall have us as top 4.
    Which ever way the wind blows boys which ever way.

Post Thanks / Like

Our win was as exciting foot as we saw over the weekend.
    Yet Access All areas gave a really poor wrap.
    Isn't that Pinhead Barrett on there?
    Says it all for me really.

15. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't listen to Access all areas but overall the media seems to be very much positive towards us. AFL360 are fawning all over us, the guys from the On the Couch were all positive last night, despite their initial reservations about where we will finish and the print media also is positive. There will always be negative components to the media, until we win the big dance but at the moment we are one of the media darlings.

Post Thanks / Like

There is definitely a whole host of characters in the media who do not like us as a Club and subscribe to the types of narratives that really grate against us as a fan group. Ex-players who hated going to Whitten Oval, got beat up by Libba and the like, classist folk who harbor ill will towards the working class Western Suburbs etc. They're all in each other's pockets affirming each others behaviour.

They hate having to do extra work on us, it irritates them to expend their resources on us as a smaller Club. It is easier for them to pull out the scripted pieces they have sitting in their top draw:

- Dogs need a key forward
    - Club is existential crisis
    - Dole bludging dogs
    - This is Higgins' season.
    - is this their year?

If they can repeat those well tread paths, they can expense their resources on the things that attract more interest, like how much drugs the Big Four clubs are pumping into their players and how big (or little) star player's penises are according to their leaked snap chats and SMS's to girlfriends.

Our best value to them is a support act to bigger franchises, we are good fodder for their stories that affirm the status quo.

Best bet is to just strap yourself in, enjoy the ride and consumer independent, fan generated media.

18. Thanks N/A, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, we have not beaten Freo in the last 6 outings. I forget these things!

Post Thanks / Like

How many times have we played Freo in the first round does anyone know?

I can remember that depressing loss to them in round one 1997 at home base Optus Oval that foretold what was sure to be another long soul destroying season down the bottom end of the ladder with St Kilda and Adelaide.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.