Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Media Bias against the Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    How many times have we played Freo in the first round does anyone know?

I can remember that depressing loss to them in round one 1997 at home base Optus Oval that foretold what was sure to be another long soul destroying season down the bottom end of the ladder with St Kilda and Adelaide.
    I recall walking out saying "same old stuff, there's always next year" my Mum gave me a clip for being too negative. But gee that loss was a real dampener on things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    How many times have we played Freo in the first round does anyone know?

I can remember that depressing loss to them in round one 1997 at home base Optus Oval that foretold what was sure to be another long soul destroying season down the bottom end of the ladder with St Kilda and Adelaide.
    This is only the 3rd time we've played Freo in Rd 1 (1997 (H) and 2009 (A)).

We've played interstate teams 13 times (8 Home, 5 Away) in Round 1 over the past 20 seasons, including the last 5 years in a row.

Post Thanks / Like

If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

4. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    This is only the 3rd time we've played Freo in Rd 1 (1997 (H) and 2009 (A)).

We've played interstate teams 13 times (8 Home, 5 Away) in Round 1 over the past 20 seasons, including the last 5 years in a row.
    The bias certainly comes through the AFL and fed down to the media.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think reporting has been pretty favourable in recent times. Most journos say the Bulldogs are the most watchable team, we're most people's second favourite tem, and we had two of the top plays on afl.com (including Wood's mark at no 1).

One person asking if our primary gameplan is sustainable over 20+ rounds (hint: even I think it isn't which is why I was happy with the second & third grinding-out quarters on Sunday) isn't evidence of media bias, it's one person asking a fair question.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

7. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We haven't won a flag for 62 years and been close numerous times. There becomes a certain uncertainty for external analysts anytime we start playing good football. Is it sustainable? Can it be transferred to the G? Could the Dogs win a flag? Some just want to rag us for the reasons described above but many want to believe.

The broader footballing community would love to see us win a flag. Ultimately all that matters is the club and its supporters. Media pundits will jump on jump off but we'll always be there and what they say us irrelevant because we are the real ones with the vested interest; our hearts are involved. They are purely football analysts who ultimately don't care whether we finish 1st or 18th. The only bloke I listen to re. how we are traveling is Bevo.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to my parent's house to pick up a drill bit and my mum had a literal stack of press clippings she'd saved for me on how great the Bulldogs have been going, looking, etc. to start the year. Since Sunday.

Threads like this are why internet forums get a bad wrap.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I went to my parent's house to pick up a drill bit and my mum had a literal stack of press clippings she'd saved for me on how great the Bulldogs have been going, looking, etc. to start the year. Since Sunday.

Threads like this are why internet forums get a bad wrap.
    Point taken Happy Days. My beef is with the AFL mouthpiece, which should be a little more even I feel. For example, in any kind of list they all ways put it in alphabetical order which means we are last in every article, every day of the year. Why not just put it in random order ?
    Sounds petty I know but I'm pretty one-eyed, and a forum is a place for one-eyed people. Agree? Most threads on here are quite upbeat and fun.
    Their media outlets should be more even handed, but I agree we have been doing well in the broader media. Perhaps the thread should be entitled 'Dogs in the media' ? Mods please consider changing the title. Thanks Happy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Point taken Happy Days. My beef is with the AFL mouthpiece, which should be a little more even I feel. For example, in any kind of list they all ways put it in alphabetical order which means we are last in every article, every day of the year. Why not just put it in random order ?
    Sounds petty I know but I'm pretty one-eyed, and a forum is a place for one-eyed people. Agree? Most threads on here are quite upbeat and fun.
    Their media outlets should be more even handed, but I agree we have been doing well in the broader media. Perhaps the thread should be entitled 'Dogs in the media' ? Mods please consider changing the title. Thanks Happy.
    Why do you care? Just wondering.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Why do you care? Just wondering.
    I'm a graphic designer so how we are presented in the media matters to me. But I like your post - maintain the bubble.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I'm a graphic designer so how we are presented in the media matters to me. But I like your post - maintain the bubble.
    Yeah fair enough I can understand that.

Post Thanks / Like

I get upset listening to the games when Dunstall is condescending and Frawley is just plain negative during the game. Frawley of all people; the original Spud!!

Apart from that i don't really worry too much. Until we win flags we will continue to be largely ignored or treated with anything more than the occasional pat on the head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    I get upset listening to the games when Dunstall is condescending and Frawley is just plain negative during the game. Frawley of all people; the original Spud!!

Apart from that i don't really worry too much. Until we win flags we will continue to be largely ignored or treated with anything more than the occasional pat on the head.
    Dunstall was praising us immensely on "On the couch" and during the game He seemed genuine to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Dunstall was praising us immensely on "On the couch" and during the game He seemed genuine to me.
    I like Dunstall too but he is a Hawk man through and through and as such is tainted with their unending arrogance. It seeps into his comments at times. He is the best of a bad lot IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Dunstalll was only two weeks ago trying to suggest there might be a few 'scars' at the Dogs following our loss to Collingwood in the NAB Challenge. Kinda sounded like wishful thinking at the time.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs