Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Media Bias against the Bulldogs

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Dunstall was praising us immensely on "On the couch" and during the game He seemed genuine to me.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The media for the last 12 months has absolutely fawned all over us really.
    Love for Beveridge.
    Love for Bob.
    Discussion over 'Bonti or Stringer' being the better young prospect.
    Love for our gamestyle.

If anything - I'd be happy enough for the media to be harder on us. We haven't won anything yet.

4. Likes azabob, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I too think the media has been rather favourable towards us.

The exception as always has been Footy Classified, who seem to only do positive stories on the big clubs. This isn't really that big a loss though, as positive stories probably account for 15% of their show, the rest dealing with rumours, scandals and things they all find dissapointing but still feel the need to argue over just how dissapointing it really is. They're the type of show that if they did praise us it would be followed by a much longer segment bagging out the Boyd contract. It is no loss to not be on their show.

I find the marketing aspect more frustrating, we rarely if ever feature in AFL promos; the latest ticket ad features GWS but not us. Fixturing is obviously another area long discussed on here. This could all change though as we gain players that are going to be household names like Stringer, and Murphy is possibly the most popular captain in the league.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

6. Likes Ghost Dog, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The longer we stay out of the media spotlight the better, teams will start focusing on us more. But at the end of the day. To win a flag you have to be consistently good. So bring it on fellas. Bring it on!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the perception of negative media bias comes from 2 main areas. The first is from scribes who are trying to justify their preseason predictions by using a "worse case scenario" when guessing that a team will slide down the ladder. With us it was the old chestnuts of "their gameplan has been worked out" and "they have a tougher draw". The first is an insult to the great Luke Beveridge and the 2nd is one of the biggest myths in football.

The second is from lazy/incompetent media types and is all about us sustaining our gamestyle all season. Most of these media types have no idea what our game style is....they see us streaming down the field in waves and accuse us of being downhill skiiers.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Point taken Happy Days. My beef is with the AFL mouthpiece, which should be a little more even I feel. For example, in any kind of list they all ways put it in alphabetical order which means we are last in every article, every day of the year. Why not just put it in random order ?
    Sounds petty I know but I'm pretty one-eyed, and a forum is a place for one-eyed people. Agree? Most threads on here are quite upbeat and fun.
    Their media outlets should be more even handed, but I agree we have been doing well in the broader media. Perhaps the thread should be entitled 'Dogs in the media' ? Mods please consider changing the title. Thanks Happy.

Done.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Done.
    As in you just considered it?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    As in you just considered it?
    Thought about it for five seconds or so, yep.

12. Likes azabob, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Media Bias Towards the Bulldogs

I am definitely in the media loves us camp. We are perfect media love story. Underdog club, super attractive footy and we aren't a hated, big club which makes us easier to pallet for neutrals.

Post Thanks / Like

And we have Stringer and Bontempelli the two best young players in the comp.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm staggered anyone has such a short memory, but then I forget what all the fuss is about.

It's post round one and everyone's blowing up our tyres for now, win a couple, lose a few and it will turn around.

Yes, there is inherent bias against our club because we don't sell papers or air time, so we don't get the coverage. Beyond that, there's not much in it in terms of love. AFL media is private enterprise and not a public service, so get over it and realise we're going to have to do a lot more over a very long period of time to get some kudos.
    Last edited by jeemak; 31-03-2016 at 10:47 AM.

16. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And we have Stringer and Bontempelli the two best young players in the comp.
    And more players are saying they'd take Stringer over Hogan!

Given what it would have cost to get him, I'll take Stringer & Macrae over Hogan too.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I get angry over the media taking potshots at us, they do drop the boots in when given opportunity, I hate hearing puff pieces and prefer to just fly under the media radar.

Post Thanks / Like

There was the constant, "Let me take you back to October for a moment" questions even when we had really turned around and had lots of great, far more relevant things to talk about.

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up the Hun while waiting for a coffee, so it's my mistake. But wtf is is with the back page all being about Tom Boyd (inc. a photo of him and not Hunter) and others having to get paid less and a cartoon having a go at Boyd? Pissed me off royally.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023