Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  40
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Day Round 2 2016 - Western Bulldogs vs St Kilda

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That's why he's a gun. Good players find a way to influence the contest even if they're having an off night. You'd love to play next to a guy with that intensity every week.
    You could tell from the St.Kilda post match presser that they had put a fair amount of work into Dahl.. And it worked, but it didn't stop him having a strong influence around the contest.. His tackling is elite.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad this is being talked about as I wasn't sure if I was being biased. I thought that one and several other times Boyd got a raw deal in marking contests. So much so that in the end I think he actually played for a few frees.

Posted in the wrong spot. I am talking about can't remember who jumping into the front of Boyd

3. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Saints are a bit behind us in terms of rebuilding their playing list but I think they have a decent future.
    Plenty of decent mids and their back line works hard. I think they would be upset that they wasted an early draft pick on Tom Lee but if McCartin and Goddard come along they will be in good shape in the next 2 seasons.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The Saints are a bit behind us in terms of rebuilding their playing list but I think they have a decent future.
    Plenty of decent mids and their back line works hard. I think they would be upset that they wasted an early draft pick on Tom Lee but if McCartin and Goddard come along they will be in good shape in the next 2 seasons.
    Big if on McCartin for mine. Do you see them struggling in two years without Riewoldt, Montagna, Fisher and Dempster? Bit of a hole, although Carlisle comes in. I know we lose Boyd, Morris and Murphy as well but we seem to not only be in front of them in terms of our rebuild but our young players seem vastly superior within the same age profile as well.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Did anyone else think McCartin looked overweight?

7. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Yeah I did. He needs to lose weight and get fit before he'll even get near it. In contrast, T. Boyd is in great nick physically and gives himself every chance to get to the contest. Boyd's only 8 months older than McCartin.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Big if on McCartin for mine. Do you see them struggling in two years without Riewoldt, Montagna, Fisher and Dempster? Bit of a hole, although Carlisle comes in. I know we lose Boyd, Morris and Murphy as well but we seem to not only be in front of them in terms of our rebuild but our young players seem vastly superior within the same age profile as well.
    I think they will have enough younger guys coming through. If they strike it rich in the next draft or two they should be finals contenders albeit potentially just making up the numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

They've got Carlisle coming into that team as well. They'll be ok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah I did. He needs to lose weight and get fit before he'll even get near it. In contrast, T. Boyd is in great nick physically and gives himself every chance to get to the contest. Boyd's only 8 months older than McCartin.
    12 months back and Boyd was regarded as a bit overweight. McCartin has that extra challenge with his diabetes but I just watched the replay and it was mentioned his blood sugars were now under control. He probably just needs to improve his running and lose just a bit of weight.
    He has had some challenges with his kicking so the upside is there.

12. Thanks G-Mo77 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't see the optimistic views the media and some others have in regards to the Saints.

They are still so very reliant on Roo, Montagna, Dempster, who along with Fisher, Gilbert and Geary won't be there in a couple years.

Dunston seems to have hit a brick wall since showing early promise. Webster, Roberton, Ross and Savage are just foot soilders who shouldn't be in your best 22 if you're any good.

The great hope Billings will be a decent player. But he is currently being massively overrated after a half of football last year against emotionally and physically drained witches hats.

Steven and Armitage are good players currently in there prime.

They have a dip each week but I just don't see the young talent they have coming through. McCartin and Goddard will take time. I honestly can't see them making it out of the bottom 5 or 6 in the next 4-5 years. They need to draft exceptionally well just as we did.

14. Likes Mantis, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

St.Kilda look decent but don't have the depth of talent clubs like us, GWS, GC and Melbourne (although they'll still stuff it up) do.

They are still heavily reliant on the stars from 5 years ago in Fisher, Riewoldt, Montagna and Dempster

Looking at their list they likely have the following in 2 years time:

Potential elite/very good players: Carlisle, Steven, Billings, Armitage, Bruce,

Potential good AFL players: Hickey, Lonie, Roberton, Goddard, McCartin, Geary

Potential decent players: Savage, Ross, Dunstan, Acres, Freeman, Newnes, Longer, Membrey, Webster, Murdoch, Mckenzie, Sinclair, Weller

It's not overly impressive, and unlike many of the other young clubs it doesn't feel like they are building a formidable backline or midfield or anything other than a scattering across multiple positions, athough there is still lots of room for growth. Really the fact Gilbert still gets a game isn't a great testament to the quality of youth putting their hand up for a game.

*As an aside check out the photoshop job on the player profile picks for Gresham and White. Surely they would've taken photos by now.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Watched on TV as I had to work. Impressed by Roughead's game. I thought he and Boyd, when he rucked, gave us a real edge. St. Kilda were worthy opponents. They applied a lot of pressure in the phone box but we out scrapped them and were cleaner in close when it counted. Out in the tardis we were quicker and chains of hand passes were, at times, breathtaking. We made a lot of mistakes in front of goals but if you win by 10 against spirited opposition and keep them to such a low score there is a lot to be happy about. One last thing. I hate this crap about playing "sexy football". It's a term straight out of "Spin Doctoring 101". Call it daring, attacking, hard-nosed with flair, inventive, entertaining, pulse-racing etc but save 'sexy' for what goes on in the largest sex organ of all - the brain!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

After watching last night's game, I think the Saints will get some good wins this year. Their first 2 matches have been hard ones, Port in SA and WB at Etihad. They appear to be well coached with a cogent game plan, their midfield is good and they were able to move the ball quickly upfield with precision disposals. Quite possibly, a better win last night than we realise.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Crameri might be worried about his spot! Might not get back in the team

The comparison article between us and st Kilda in the age noted, some of St Kildas's rookie choices from three years ago are not even on Wikipedia.Our rookie picks have been the difference.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Saints are meh.

Lack class, lack depth and no willingness to take the game on bar one or two guys.