Thanks Thanks:  47
Likes Likes:  84
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Teddy EJ Whitten

Hi hope Twodogs doesn't mind the sharing of our conversation via PM this week. I was mentioning that my dear old grand mum has been married for most of her life, but if EJ could be brought back to life she would marry him in a heart beat. She still talks of EJ as more than a man, more than footballer, more than a western suburbs hero but almost god like (or even God like). Even all these years later EJ brings a sparkle to her eye and huge smile when we talk about him.

I mentioned this to TD and our consensus was the English language doesn't have the words to describe him and what he was to people and families of our local suburbs. It was my nans passionate stories as a young un about EJ that triggered the FFC DNA in me to activate. And after 7 decades, nothing's changed for her.

He's got a ground, statue, bridge, Hall of Fame spot, games record holder for a long time and SOO legacy. But being too young I can't comprehend what people who watched him at the time feel or describe. So I'm (and presumably others) up for a history lesson. If you can articulate it, what was the unique qualities or presence that captured the imagination of a lot people, and so bloody strong that those bonds can last 7 decades? I find it amazing that after so long, and after death, that he can be so loved and revered, even idolised like a God like no one I can think of in history, let alone footy.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teddy EJ Whitten

Great OP BT.

I went to EJs last game in 1970 but only being six my recollection is getting wet in the rain and finding a bunch of kids tobogganing down the slope behind the scoreboard on flattened cardboard boxes and in my head that's where I spent most of day. I should also mention that in my head I am on the ground standing next to Ted for the three quarter time address so I don't know how reliable that memory is.

My uncle, who's opinion I rate, once told me he saw EJ played the perfect game of football at Punt rd in an important game against Richmond. Does anyone know or remember which game and year he was talking about? I'd like to research it a bit.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes bulldogtragic, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His legacy is all over my life. I drive past two statues of him most days, over his bridge, past his ground and spend most of my spare time discussing the game that became his namesake. His is one of the really terrific tales of influence and leadership. Probably never to be replicated.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, Eastdog, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thread BT.

I've mentioned on here before how my grandparents revered Ted Whitten but perhaps a few snippets might add to the thread.

My Nan would only buy her fruit and veges and groceries from the store that a young Ted worked at and I think only on the days she knew he would be there. She would grab her jeep and stroll to the shop frequently stopping along the way to talk to people because most people weren't inside there homes watching the TV or on the phone etc they were in their gardens either picking their fruit trees or looking after their almost manicured lawns. A 15 minute walk to the shop would probably take Nan closer to 30 minutes because she was such a friendly and engaging person she would have to stop and say hello. During the footy season the conversations were often about Footscray and I'm led to believe Ted.

Once she eventually got to the shop she was greeted with a loud "Hello Mum" from the larger than life Ted "What can I get you today?" A quick chat about the footy would follow as Ted carefully filled her jeep with the chosen goods. The trip home probably took her even longer as she now could tell people that Ted helped her fill the jeep.

My Nan was a very tolerant lady and accepted peoples differing views but not when it came to opinions on Ted Whitten. He was the one and only from her point of view and could do no wrong.

My Grandfather wasn't anywhere near as tolerant as Nan. Most footy conversations with Bob would somehow lead into how good Whitten was. My favourite player was Bernie Quinlan and to be honest Bob never rated him that highly and I think he had some question marks on the level of courage Bernie displayed. Bob got it wrong but I could have never said that to him.
    Whenever I mentioned how good I thought Bernie was Bob would quickly counter with how much better Ted was. You listened and nodded the head because to challenge it was an argument you would never win.

My memories of seeing Ted the player are somewhat limited but the memories of the conversations I had with so many people over the years about his abilities on the field will live with me forever.

I've read a lot of article and even found some books where Ted shared his views on how positions should be played and there is no doubt he was a modern day attacking player and brutally loyal to his team mates.

From everything I have gathered in a lifetime of listening to things about Ted Whitten and reading anything I could get my hands on about him I'd have to say the one word to describe him was "visionary"

He was ahead of his time on the playing field, he was one of the first to because a sports entertainer and his ability to unite the AFL community behind the Big V was remarkable. So many AFL people regard Ted as one of the best ever footballers but on top of that I think he was also a remarkable person off the field. Ted led and people followed. He was simply the centre of attention.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    His legacy is all over my life. I drive past two statues of him most days, over his bridge, past his ground and spend most of my spare time discussing the game that became his namesake. His is one of the really terrific tales of influence and leadership. Probably never to be replicated.
    Whitten recognition:

Braybrook Hotel I believe but correct me if I'm wrong
    Western Ring Road - EJ Whitten Bridge over the Maribyrnong River
    Western Oval renamed Whitten Oval
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

10. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great story G. My parents and uncles and aunts all loved Dougie Hawkins. So does my nan, but she has two framed photos on the wall. A Doug Hawkins personally signed photo. Clearly above it on the wall, a non signed photo of EJ. Whenever the conversation comes up it's almost the same, 'I love Dougie, but EJ's the best and always will be".

But I take it it's not only about footy, but growing up poor in Western Suburbs I think when she talks about EJ it's beyond footy. EJ came along post WW2 when times were even tougher, footy was the great distraction but we'd beaten into submission upon entering the VFL. Then along comes EJ, and a flag!! I never tire of talking about her GF day in 1954 and going to the ground afterwards.

To me it seems that EJ was the person that gave her/us all hope that we could be the people we wanted to be. That we were not always destined to be impoverished, that we could achieve the best, almost like a messiah. That he inspired pride so that people could say yeah were from Footscray, just like Teddy, so what! My nan and several aunty Joyce's would always try to time things to be around EJ too. We've had a fair share of gun players since EJ, and people can be nostalgic about 'in my day'. But people who lived in EJ's time talk not out of nostalgia, but like a thankful and happy worshipper (good thing).
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to wish he was my dad he was so nice to us urchins who hung around the footy ground

14. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Would have loved to have met EJ. He would of been a great bloke to chat to.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Growing up I only saw EJ play in his latter years and also went to his last game. However, as a kid in primary school we knew he was Mr Football and also the greatest player that ever played the game. Of course my first jumper had the number 3 on the back.

After his retirement ran into him when he was broadcasting footy, and we were on the way to the can bar. Always friendly, but scary ( in a nice way) and happy to say hello.

He is a true legend of AFL.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Grandfather was the bank manager of ANZ at Williamstown during the 50's and into the 60's. His bank had EJ's grocery store account. EJ did not make as much money as he should have out of his grocery business because he gave lots of credit to customers who couldn't pay for their shopping. Heaps of debtors write offs. My grandfather told me this in the early 2000's before he died.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

19. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Growing up I only saw EJ play in his latter years and also went to his last game. However, as a kid in primary school we knew he was Mr Football and also the greatest player that ever played the game. Of course my first jumper had the number 3 on the back.

After his retirement ran into him when he was broadcasting footy, and we were on the way to the can bar. Always friendly, but scary ( in a nice way) and happy to say hello.

He is a true legend of AFL.
    Yeah he could be a little bit intimidating. But he was Mr Football.

Post Thanks / Like

I have imprinted on my brain: "Always shake a mans hand as hard as you can and look them in the eyes. Like EJ does" - Nan to me as a kid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I have imprinted on my brain: "Always shake a mans hand as hard as you can and look them in the eyes. Like EJ does" - Nan to me as a kid.

Jason Akermanis said a similar thing to my son when he met him. "look me in the eyes son."

Post Thanks / Like

I was lucky enough to see Ted play a lot of games with us. He was a magnificent. Could play literally ANY position on the ground and play it well. He was and still is Mr. Football. Mathews, Ablett, Carey no where near him. Growing up I went To Yarraville West primary school and Ted lived opposite the school. He was always out washing his car in his front yard especially as we left school and all the kids would yell out "Hi Ted" and he always responded.

Growing up I was lucky enough to meet the great man. He nearly broke my hand. It was after a game at The Western Oval where I introduced myself and told him I used to know where he live. He laughed. I felt like a stalker. When he left after our small coversation he said 'Well see you knackers". I later discovered he called everyone knackers.

Teddy was a mixture of superman and Batman BT. I understand where your nana is coming from. Only difference was Ted was real. And he was ours.

24. Thanks bulldogtragic, 1eyedog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a kid growing up in Braybook from 1951 on, Ted Whitten was as much a fixture in my life as the daily sunrise. Sadly, I can't recall 1954. Coming from a family of ten pound Poms, the old man, being a Geordie, was a mad Newcastle supporter. The early 50s was their Golden Era winning the FA Cup 3 times in 5 years. Consequently VFL was not on the radar. I was only a little kid anyway - not aware of much except where the biscuit tin was stored. Later Mum told me that when she saw all the red, white and blue streamers in Footscray she thought it had something to do with the Royal Visit!

I started following the Dogs late in 1956. I learnt to read well because of it. The old man was an avid newspaper reader. We always got the Herald and on Saturdays the Sporting Globe too. There'd always be a crowd outside the milk bar waiting for the paper truck, especially if the Dogs had a win. I'd pour over the match reports and quickly learnt the Ted Whitten was THE player who dominated the game. We had some lean years from '57 - 60 and from '62 to Ted's retirement. But we had Ted and the rest didn't. I consider myself very lucky to have watched him play for 15 years. He was an out-and-out champion. There wasn't anything he couldn't do on a football ground. His feats of courage were inspirational, his skills sublime. He was centre stage in every game I ever saw.

I met him in 1959. At the time Ted had a driving school. He took my older brother for his licence. He got it first time and when they came back to the house my mother invited Ted in for a cup of tea. He sat around our kitchen table, ate fruit cake and chatted like he was one of us. I got his autograph. He was as natural as they come.

I well remember the last game of '61. We had to beat Geelong to make the four. It was them or us. In the second quarter Ted kicked the two longest drop kick goals ever seen at the Western/Whitten Oval. From far out on the Doug Hawkins wing he launched these prodigious kicks. Raking drop kicks that just cleared the pack at the Barkly St end. I was in the stand. A Geelong supporter said, "Look at the idiot. He's gunna have a shot." Quick as a flash I yelled: 'He'll kick it!" And he did. Could you imagine how I felt as a kid? Ted put that clown back in his box for me! What a hero to have.

After the game me and my mate, Arthur Milligan, got into the rooms with hundreds of supporters. Ted stood on a table, bollock naked and gave a rousing speech. I remember him exhorting those present to 'stick with us, we're not here to make up the numbers. This is FOR REAL!'

There will only EVER be one Ted Whitten Though football be played from here to eternity we will never see the like of him again. A champion player and a champion bloke.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."