Thanks Thanks:  47
Likes Likes:  84
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teddy EJ Whitten

I taught myself to read so I could read about football too. Thanks for a great post merantau.

Those long goals, were they on the run or set shots? Please and thank you. You can get a lot more distance from a properly timed drop kick than a normal drop punt.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I taught myself to read so I could read about football too. Thanks for a great post merantau.

Those long goals, were they on the run or set shots? Please and thank you. You can get a lot more distance from a properly timed drop kick than a normal drop punt.
    He kicked enormous set shots and on the run. I remember him kicking huge torps too as well as drop kicks. Truly the man could do anything, He even helped the umpires umpire the game. True.

3. Likes merantau, N/A, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They were both from set shots after marks. In the Sun on Monday morning Lou Richards wrote: "Ted Whitten defeated Geelong with two drop kick goals. One went 85 yards, the other 84 yards, two feet and six inches."
    I also witnessed Lou cut Ted's front lawn with a pair of nail scissors after we beat Melbourne in 1959 or 60, I think it was. We were on the bottom at the time and the Ds were top. A huge crowd showed up at Ted's milk bar in Hampshire Rd opposite Sunshine Tech. It was a great Sunday afternoon's entertainment.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

5. Likes bulldogtragic, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    They were both from set shots after marks. In the Sun on Monday morning Lou Richards wrote: "Ted Whitten defeated Geelong with two drop kick goals. One went 85 yards, the other 84 yards, two feet and six inches."
    I also witnessed Lou cut Ted's front lawn with a pair of nail scissors after we beat Melbourne in 1959 or 60, I think it was. We were on the bottom at the time and the Ds were top. A huge crowd showed up at Ted's milk bar in Hampshire Rd opposite Sunshine Tech. It was a great Sunday afternoon's entertainment.
    I love these stories. Most of us never saw him even close to his best, sadly. I know there are also tales about him conning the umpires by immediately pointing to the scoring end straight after the coin toss. By the time Ted had sprinted back to his players everyone was too flustered to call him to account. Given the wind at our home ground it was a serious advantage too.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Arden Street the day he took that great mark standing on Frank Galle's back against the background of the gasometer. It is such an atmospheric photo. Footy being played in what looks like the middle of an industrial complex! To my great shock Ted went back and roosted the ball into South Kensington - for a point! But we went on to win the game. What a player!

Post Thanks / Like

Do either of you guys remember a great game Ted played at Punt Road?

Post Thanks / Like

Not off hand Twodogs. I remember seeing him mostly at The Western Oval. Went to a lot more home games than away games in those days.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I don't but I do remember a game against Melbourne at the Western Oval where Ted orchestrated a come from behind win. We had been smashed early but had gradually made ground on them to trail by 3-4 goals at the last break.
    Ted took the first bounce at the start of the last. He literally cannoned into Trevor Johnson, took the ball out of the ruck and booted it to the Geelong Rd end with the wind behind it. We got an early goal and from that point on it was obvious we were going to win. Ted was unstoppable. I think his natural competitiveness drove him to great heights against Melbourne because they were lead by Ron Barassi , another great player and man.

11. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    No, I don't but I do remember a game against Melbourne at the Western Oval where Ted orchestrated a come from behind win. We had been smashed early but had gradually made ground on them to trail by 3-4 goals at the last break.
    Ted took the first bounce at the start of the last. He literally cannoned into Trevor Johnson, took the ball out of the ruck and booted it to the Geelong Rd end with the wind behind it. We got an early goal and from that point on it was obvious we were going to win. Ted was unstoppable. I think his natural competitiveness drove him to great heights against Melbourne because they were lead by Ron Barassi , another great player and man.
    Barrassi lived in Footscray when he was a kid. He lived of a street of Ballarat rd called Coral avenue during the war. I once asked him if he was ever any chance to be recruited by us and he said that he had moved from the district (his words, some of the westy must have stuck in his head) by the time VFL clubs started to notice him. He said that he was always going to play for Melbourne but if his dad hasn't played there then he was residentially bound to Carlton.

13. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

EJ called Barrassi - Mrs Football.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    EJ called Barrassi - Mrs Football.
    The special on EJ last year was amusing hearing Barassi explain the story.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The special on EJ last year was amusing hearing Barassi explain the story.
    Go on then.

How good would a team with Whitten and Barrassi in it be?

Post Thanks / Like

The only game I know was his first game and was Kod by Mopsy Fraser.

See the story here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Go on then.

How good would a team with Whitten and Barrassi in it be?
    In short, EJ started calling Barassi Mrs Football and Barassi wasn't very fond of it at all. The Big V team was in SA (50's/60's) at the hotel and Barassi locked himself out of his room in the nude during the late hours. He couldn't get in and found himself banging on EJ's hotel room door, and EJ said through the door that the only way he opens the door for a naked Barassi is if he agrees to accept the Mrs Football tag. Barassi agreed.

Shrewd negotiation by EJ. Not afraid the use his bargaining strength and 50 years on 'Mrs Football' is still stuck on Barassi.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

He could sell a brand too could he, from the Four N Twenty Pies ads, to Adidas. I never tire of Dougie telling the story of rocking up with Puma boots and EJ getting stuck into him and getting him Adidas boots. Not least of which selling SOO footy when administrators were obviously not favourable to it.