Thanks Thanks:  47
Likes Likes:  84
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teddy EJ Whitten

What I find interesting is say a comparison to Chris Grant. Talented, could play any spot, could've won a Brownlow on talent, finished as games record holder, stayed for less money, played with a serious injury and was always club first. Everyone loves Turtle. But everyone here, and my older extended family members too, adore EJ like a god. It's been great to hear the personal stories of him as the man, the embodiment of the good of a town. Appreciate the stories.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

These memories are really important, because not much vision recorded of the man, owing to the era. Enjoyable reading.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

3. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54, merantau, Eastdog, westbulldog thanked for this post
    Likes The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    What I find interesting is say a comparison to Chris Grant. Talented, could play any spot, could've won a Brownlow on talent, finished as games record holder, stayed for less money, played with a serious injury and was always club first. Everyone loves Turtle. But everyone here, and my older extended family members too, adore EJ like a god. It's been great to hear the personal stories of him as the man, the embodiment of the good of a town. Appreciate the stories.
    And Teddy was "a lot more aggressive " than Chris. Chris was a mighty player for the Club but Ted was at another level. An enforcer who played brilliant footy in any position on the ground.

7. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good vision here

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Thanks merantau, Eastdog, westbulldog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This Sunday is for you Ted and you Tim.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Great videos BAD. Watched them quite a few times before. Teddy would have certainly kept them honest in todays environment if he was here. He would be a great guy to have a beer with a chat all thing footy and Bulldogs.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

The path of the righteous dogs player is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of opposing men. Blessed is Bob, who in the name of captaincy and good skill, shepherds the the Men of Mayhem through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the rebounder of loose football. And our dogs will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy Bob's brothers. And you will know our name is the Dogs when Bob's men lay vengeance upon thee.
    Haha. I like it!

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a book called "Tribute to Ted Whitten"

A lot that has been mentioned in this thread also appears in that book.

I can't remember it being mentioned in this thread, but he received a pack of spuds as his match payment in his very first senior game.

15. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I came across this thread today and noticed it was from 2016.

The path of the righteous dogs player is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of opposing men. Blessed is Bob, who in the name of captaincy and good skill, shepherds the the Men of Mayhem through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the rebounder of loose football. And our dogs will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy Bob's brothers. And you will know our name is the Dogs when Bob's men lay vengeance upon thee.

Did you think the premiership cup would land less than six months later?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I came across this thread today and noticed it was from 2016.

Did you think the premiership cup would land less than six months later?
    Oh, for sure. I was sitting in line at Ticket Master in mid April 2016 for my GF ticket.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched these clips again. They brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. How to explain the tears rolling down my cheeks after all these years? Not hard - Teddy Whitten. He was a huge part of our lives. He gave us so much. He was part of us. He was our hero. He out shone all others, he was centre stage. But he never forgot his roots and never put on airs and graces. He was the greatest player and a truly great man.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

19. Thanks westbulldog thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, bornadog, Bulldog4life, strebla, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I just watched these clips again. They brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. How to explain the tears rolling down my cheeks after all these years? Not hard - Teddy Whitten. He was a huge part of our lives. He gave us so much. He was part of us. He was our hero. He out shone all others, he was centre stage. But he never forgot his roots and never put on airs and graces. He was the greatest player and a truly great man.
    Ted was a hero to us boys as we were, a true champion who took responsibility for each game, the team, the club, the sport and the community. He had a larger than life passion and skill to match.

21. Likes Bulldog4life, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Watching those high top of the finger marks reminds me of Doug Hawkins taking similar ones, definitely someone Doug copied in that regard.
    Bring back the biff

23. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Ted Whitten was the soul and inspiration of people in the western suburbs. Resilient people but compassionate people. If my memory serves me correct I remember one day at Footscray where he was seriously poleaxed by John Kennedy snr. Minutes later he kicked a 60+m torp through the Barkly street goals. Ted Whitten was Footscray, he never went anywhere else and was aptly Mr Football.

25. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post