Thanks Thanks:  47
Likes Likes:  84
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teddy EJ Whitten

Your tribute to EJ was spot on. He was a giant and the accolade, "Mr Football" was perfect because not only was he the best player in the comp, he dominated the football world although our Club only played in 4? Finals campaigns during his 20 year career.

I leant to read well because I wanted to follow EJ and the Bulldogs in the Herald and the Sporting Globe on Saturdays after the game.

Had the pleasure of meeting him in 1960 when I was 11. He had a Driving School and took my brother to get his licence. After the test he came back to our place, came in and had a cup of tea. Treasured memory for me as he was my childhood hero.

Other club's might have had a lot more success . But we had Ted and they didn't and that sustained me during some very lean years from 1962 to 1970. Great player.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

2. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, bornadog, Eastdog, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good thread BT.

I've mentioned on here before how my grandparents revered Ted Whitten but perhaps a few snippets might add to the thread.

My Nan would only buy her fruit and veges and groceries from the store that a young Ted worked at and I think only on the days she knew he would be there. She would grab her jeep and stroll to the shop frequently stopping along the way to talk to people because most people weren't inside there homes watching the TV or on the phone etc they were in their gardens either picking their fruit trees or looking after their almost manicured lawns. A 15 minute walk to the shop would probably take Nan closer to 30 minutes because she was such a friendly and engaging person she would have to stop and say hello. During the footy season the conversations were often about Footscray and I'm led to believe Ted.

Once she eventually got to the shop she was greeted with a loud "Hello Mum" from the larger than life Ted "What can I get you today?" A quick chat about the footy would follow as Ted carefully filled her jeep with the chosen goods. The trip home probably took her even longer as she now could tell people that Ted helped her fill the jeep.

My Nan was a very tolerant lady and accepted peoples differing views but not when it came to opinions on Ted Whitten. He was the one and only from her point of view and could do no wrong.

My Grandfather wasn't anywhere near as tolerant as Nan. Most footy conversations with Bob would somehow lead into how good Whitten was. My favourite player was Bernie Quinlan and to be honest Bob never rated him that highly and I think he had some question marks on the level of courage Bernie displayed. Bob got it wrong but I could have never said that to him.
    Whenever I mentioned how good I thought Bernie was Bob would quickly counter with how much better Ted was. You listened and nodded the head because to challenge it was an argument you would never win.

My memories of seeing Ted the player are somewhat limited but the memories of the conversations I had with so many people over the years about his abilities on the field will live with me forever.

I've read a lot of article and even found some books where Ted shared his views on how positions should be played and there is no doubt he was a modern day attacking player and brutally loyal to his team mates.

From everything I have gathered in a lifetime of listening to things about Ted Whitten and reading anything I could get my hands on about him I'd have to say the one word to describe him was "visionary"

He was ahead of his time on the playing field, he was one of the first to because a sports entertainer and his ability to unite the AFL community behind the Big V was remarkable. So many AFL people regard Ted as one of the best ever footballers but on top of that I think he was also a remarkable person off the field. Ted led and people followed. He was simply the centre of attention.
    I don't think that Bob got it wrong at all, he certainly was not on his own with that thinking about Bernie, i was so happy to watch his career blossom after he left us and he exacted his full potential. However, I have heard a lot of old timers mention the same thing as your Bob.

4. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jam Donuts View Post
    I don't think that Bob got it wrong at all, he certainly was not on his own with that thinking about Bernie, i was so happy to watch his career blossom after he left us and he exacted his full potential. However, I have heard a lot of old timers mention the same thing as your Bob.
    It's been nearly 6 years since I posted that and to be honest I had forgotten that I had.

Now I'm going to defend Bernie with another story that I have posted on here previously.
    I was at the Whitten Oval for a game against Richmond when former Bulldogs player Robert 'Bones' McGhie was lining up for them.
    Despite his wiry look Bones was a renowned hard man and not one to shirk a physical contest.

I was standing about 10 meters back from the fence when a ball was punted somewhere between the wing and half forward, Bernie sprinted forward to get the ball and so did McGhie. They went full tilt at it for about 30mtrs and when they looked up they both realised they were on a collision course. I can still see it as plain as day.
    They both tucked in their shoulders before the inevitable clash and I could hear the bones crunching from at least 25mtrs away.
    They both then got up and contested the ball again.
    It was either a sign of a smart arse in the making, hero worshiping Quinlan or a spur of the moment thing when I could get one back at my grand father but I summoned the courage and blurted out something like "And you said he wasn't tough?" I still think the resulting lecture and then silent treatment at my petulant display was worth it but I paid a heavy price for it from then on.

Given Bob knew Ted well we were occasionally allowed into the rooms after games a few times and when Ted was there he would greet my grandfather and ask me who my favourite player was. As soon as I said anyones name he would yell at them and motion for them to come over and meet me.

Ted was larger than life and oh yeah, I still think Bernie was no squib.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's been nearly 6 years since I posted that and to be honest I had forgotten that I had.

Now I'm going to defend Bernie with another story that I have posted on here previously.
    I was at the Whitten Oval for a game against Richmond when former Bulldogs player Robert 'Bones' McGhie was lining up for them.
    Despite his wiry look Bones was a renowned hard man and not one to shirk a physical contest.

I was standing about 10 meters back from the fence when a ball was punted somewhere between the wing and half forward, Bernie sprinted forward to get the ball and so did McGhie. They went full tilt at it for about 30mtrs and when they looked up they both realised they were on a collision course. I can still see it as plain as day.
    They both tucked in their shoulders before the inevitable clash and I could hear the bones crunching from at least 25mtrs away.
    They both then got up and contested the ball again.
    It was either a sign of a smart arse in the making, hero worshiping Quinlan or a spur of the moment thing when I could get one back at my grand father but I summoned the courage and blurted out something like "And you said he wasn't tough?" I still think the resulting lecture and then silent treatment at my petulant display was worth it but I paid a heavy price for it from then on.

Given Bob knew Ted well we were occasionally allowed into the rooms after games a few times and when Ted was there he would greet my grandfather and ask me who my favourite player was. As soon as I said anyones name he would yell at them and motion for them to come over and meet me.

Ted was larger than life and oh yeah, I still think Bernie was no squib.
    I agree G. A lot in the outer thought he was but if you look closely at his career...games played and goals kicked....he was no squib. As for the amount of goals kicked he was huge considering he played a number of games with us at CHB. When I lived in Victoria I met him a few times at the Flinders pub. Still very humble, likeable and down to earth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I agree G. A lot in the outer thought he was but if you look closely at his career...games played and goals kicked....he was no squib. As for the amount of goals kicked he was huge considering he played a number of games with us at CHB. When I lived in Victoria I met him a few times at the Flinders pub. Still very humble, likeable and down to earth.
    I chatted to Bernie at a pub in Sorento I think it was whilst I was on a footy trip. Even though I was likely completely incoherent he was friendly.

Post Thanks / Like

As well as being a great player Bernie is also my favourite ever commentater/special comments guy. As well as being spot on with his observations he'd basically barrack for us from the box in a way that nobody else did.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

10. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you never saw Bernie play ...

https://youtu.be/VPZnIIGK9xg

And here:

https://youtu.be/ADH9-rXw_hk

Post Thanks / Like

Why did he leave the dogs? I saw him play at the Junction oval, Princes Park etc for the Roys but his dogs tenure was before my time.
    Last edited by Grantysghost; 04-02-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Why did he leave the dogs? I saw him play at the Junction oval, Princes Park etc for the Roys but his dogs tenure was before my time.
    We needed the cash and sold him off. Those days you got a transfer fee.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

14. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Could you imagine him playing now at CHB at Marvel? Those 70mtr kicks would transform the game.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

16. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It was an absolute tragedy that we lost him. I think he would rank in most pundits "Best 22 of the Last Fifty Years."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I chatted to Bernie at a pub in Sorento I think it was whilst I was on a footy trip. Even though I was likely completely incoherent he was friendly.
    Imagine what it would have been like if you'd been drinking?
    "It's over. It's all over."

19. Likes bornadog, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That happened to many of our quality players. So glad it doesn't happen now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Bernie - "can someone please get this crackpot a beer?"
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    If i hadn't been drinking I wouldn't have spoken to him in the first place!

Luke Dahlhaus was at a pub I was at recently, I had consumed a couple but not nearly enough to say anything to him.