Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

The *!*!*!*!ing dribble kick!!!

I alluded to it in the 3 things thread but I'm giving it a thread of its own.

I hate it. I bloody well hate it.

It's a low percentage option at the best of times and too often is used when it shouldn't be.

I acknowledge that sometimes it's a necessary evil because a conventional kick might be smothered or the player is under pressure.

But when you're ruining in for a shot at goal and a drop punt or kick across the body is an option, it's got me stuffed why professional footballers insist on kicking an oblong shaped ball along the ground.

Discuss.

2. Likes N/A, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The *!*!*!*!ing dribble kick!!!

When I saw Suckling do it last night it reminded me that Crameri tries some tricky kicks as well.

Perhaps we need Dunstall down at the club
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Clearly the main constraint with the kick is the element of risk. It's an oblong ball for gods sake and its natural trajectory is end over end. It's why it's been kicked as a drop kick and drop punt for the last 60 years!

No matter how many times you practice this at training you simply do not minimise enough risk for it to be an option when others are available. Suckling and Dahl had a far greater chance of goaling kicking a banana or torp than what they used last night.

I'd outlaw it when going for goal to everyone bar Stringer.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Of all people to do it, I was surprised Suckling would be the one. As for Dahl running into an open goal and dead in front, well that is unforgivable. I hope Bevo gets stuck into them and the whole team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's usually done if your on the wrong foot and running away from goal.
    Not sure why it's come into the game so much.
    I'm sure it will be addressed this week, a good question to ask Luke if he does questions on website or if any of us see him around.
    He is at all VFL games. A good time to ask.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Last week when Suckling played on and kicked that goal after marking he kicked the ball with a high risk, low percentage sort of banana kick from right in front. I remember being pretty annoyed at him at the time that as a senior professional in a fairly young team instead of kicking the ball straight he went with a kick that deviated quite a bit through the air on its journey through the goals.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

8. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Suckling's was possibly the worst ive ever seen. 40m out, stops, and trying an around corner dribble with 3 or 4 bounces.

#disgusting
    #backtofootscray
    #dothebasicsright
    #FFS
    #bringbackjarrodgrant
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Suckling's was possibly the worst ive ever seen. 40m out, stops, and trying an around corner dribble with 3 or 4 bounces.

#disgusting
    #backtofootscray
    #dothebasicsright
    #FFS
    #bringbackjarrodgrant
    Dahlhaus's was worse than Sucklings.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Hate the dribble kick thought Dahl had stopped doing it until last night

Post Thanks / Like

The ONLY time I can stand the dribble kick is when a player is on,or close to, or running towards the boundary line. Not needed at all otherwise.

14. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm fine with it when it's necessary, however there are too many who think they need to be cute. They look like absolute fools when it doesn't work. If I was coach I'd be saying "Do it without good reason and you can play in the twos"
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I'm fine with it when it's necessary, however there are too many who think they need to be cute. They look like absolute fools when it doesn't work. If I was coach I'd be saying "Do it without good reason and you can play in the twos"
    There are definitely circumstances where it IS the right option, for one reason or another.

Running in towards goal with no-one in front of you is not one of those times.

Post Thanks / Like

Banning it at training would be the first step as it looks to be habitual for some.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Andrew! sounding a bit like Mick Malthouse there - old school...like it!
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

19. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The ONLY time I can stand the dribble kick is when a player is on,or close to, or running towards the boundary line. Not needed at all otherwise.
    Yeah I think it's the only time where it would increase your chances of kicking the goal.
    If your right in front and kick a banana and let it bounce in the goal square before going over the line then you are instantly reducing the chances of the ball going for a goal. It no longer becomes a question of connection off the boot and accuracy in the air, it becomes chance when it hits the ground.