Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jordan Roughead - Full Back role or nearly out of chances

Thought I'd make a thread about him as he was quite dissapointing last Thursday night. Should we be going in the direction of priming him for the full back position or is he nearly out of chances. Campbell you would say will be battling Minson for the ruck and Campbell can also be very effective up forward.

Our midfield has show much quality and talent that it will scare other teams (Libba and eventually hopefully a full recovered Clay Smith to return) and our forward line is a lot more potent than before (just need to get better at goalkicking).
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jordan Roughead - Full Back role or nearly out of chances

I wonder if there is a place on a list these days for a tall utility. I see Roberts and Collins vying for our conventional full back role, but Roughy helping out/filling in when the opposition specifically have a 200cm+ deep option, other times he plays (when form sees him as best 22) as an interchange 2nd ruckman come occasional forward as opportunity dictates.

Like everyone else, Roughy will be given very opportunity, but at 25 you do feel he needs to start firmly nailing his opportunities and making a role his. His body seems to be as right as it has been for a while, so hopefully he can build some confidence and some consistent form.

I feel Roughy is currently front runner to replace Grant/Ayce as the fans' whipping boy. I hope this doesn't eventuate, he is by all accounts a ripping bloke and well respected amongst the squad.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest concern with Roughy is his durability in the ruck.He seems to go off nearly every match in some sort of pain from a knock. He is also not a reliable kick for goal at all. To me Roughy should be in the backline playing against the other sides monsters. If there are no monsters he misses out that week.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see what Bevo does here. Players like Collins, Hamling and Biggs will start competing with him now for defensive roles. Roberts I hope has a good 2016 and also would love to see more of what Lukas Webb can do.

Don't want to get too off the topic of the thread but speaking of backline
    How about Dunkley? Do we see him play more in defence or up the ground as he can play various roles.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    It will be interesting to see what Bevo does here. Players like Collins, Hamling and Biggs will start competing with him now for defensive roles. Roberts I hope has a good 2016 and also would love to see more of what Lukas Webb can do.

Don't want to get too off the topic of the thread but speaking of backline
    How about Dunkley? Do we see him play more in defence or up the ground as he can play various roles.
    Don't go off topic Easty.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Don't go off topic Easty.
    Yep this is specifically about Jordan Roughead.

Post Thanks / Like

There will be heaps of opportunities for all sorts of roles this year for Roughead. If he is fit, I could see him being selected for every game. I say this because having thought about it a bit, I suspect that he will be first choice for either FB/BP or CHB. And can take a turn in the ruck.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest worry about Jordan is that he's not his cousin.

Unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

I know Roughy had a stinker the other night against GWS, everyone has off days. But it wasn't too long ago (round 22, 2015) when he played ruck for pretty much the whole game against Goldstein and while the stats would say Goldstein won the duel, Goldy had zero influence on the game.

I wouldn't be writing off Roughead competing for the no.1 ruck position just yet. Like others have mentioned it might come down to his body holding up. When Roughy is up and running he is a good player around the ground who can hold his marks, which this is an area of which Minson and Campbell can struggle and an area that Bevo likes. He isn't the fastest bloke when playing full back trying to chase down leads but I reckon he would be able stay with most ruckman bar a few. I think he's a handy player to have around especially when there might be a lot of ruckman resting forward with the interchange cap reductions this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I think people get too carried away when a player doesn't perform to their expectations. I think Roughy will be an excellent number 1 ruck and he showed that several times last season despite not really training for the position. He just needs to develop some confidence in his body that it will stand up to the rigours of AFL ruckwork. I'd would like however to see a little more agggression in his general play.

I see him resting in defence rather than forward as we don't have super tall timber down back to take on resting ruckmen going forward for the opposition.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

12. Likes Before I Die, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    I think people get too carried away when a player doesn't perform to their expectations. I think Roughy will be an excellent number 1 ruck and he showed that several times last season despite not really training for the position. He just needs to develop some confidence in his body that it will stand up to the rigours of AFL ruckwork. I'd would like however to see a little more agggression in his general play.

I see him resting in defence rather than forward as we don't have super tall timber down back to take on resting ruckmen going forward for the opposition.
    I can't agree that his body will stand up to the rigours of an AFL ruckman, his shoulders aren't great and it seems that after every 'hard' contest that he is the last one to his feet and generally left in the hands of trainers. Whilst he is probably our most skilled big man in terms general play and ruck work I can't see him playing this role on a regular basis.

I see him as a BP against the resting ruck/ tall forward that pinch hits in the ruck or he doesn't play... His forward work is poor and there are 3 or 4 others ahead of him in this role.

Post Thanks / Like

I see him as a tall utility able to fill in anywhere on the ground - the issue is we may not utilize a player like that (there is a little bit of Everitt about him).

Have we ruined his development by throwing him around everywhere? He is certainly a player whom, if not best 22, you'd do anything to keep on the list because when injuries strike he can fill a role anywhere. Right now I'm not sure he is best 22 though.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

Fletch is 197, but resting Roughy back is an interesting idea.

FWIW against GWS he went off after a shot to the nads. Fair enuf I reckon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I can't agree that his body will stand up to the rigours of an AFL ruckman, his shoulders aren't great and it seems that after every 'hard' contest that he is the last one to his feet and generally left in the hands of trainers. Whilst he is probably our most skilled big man in terms general play and ruck work I can't see him playing this role on a regular basis.

I see him as a BP against the resting ruck/ tall forward that pinch hits in the ruck or he doesn't play... His forward work is poor and there are 3 or 4 others ahead of him in this role.
    Yep, agree.

I don't want to hear any more about how he can play stints in the forward line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yep, agree.

I don't want to hear any more about how he can play stints in the forward line.
    What about in the oppositions forward line?
    More of an In Bruges guy?