Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  12
    Post Thanks / Like

Lukas Webb on losing friends to suicide

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...03-gnx27q.html

A very sensitive article on a sad topic.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

2. Thanks azabob, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lukas Webb on losing friends to suicide

What a great article. He's got a good head on his shoulders, and it's great he's talking about the issue.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

It really hits hard when there are no signs of mental issues and everything seems normal. You wonder what could I have done to help and prevent suicide. Good on Webb for discussing it, but still very sad to read about young people taking their life.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just heard that one of my childrens' aunties died back in Poland. She had left the place that was caring for her last week and they found her dead on the side of the road yesterday. Its an awful, awful thing.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I cried reading that. Just tragic.

Post Thanks / Like

A moving article and well done to Theage and Lukas for putting a spotlight on it.
    With 3 brothers and a sister in our family who went to a school in rural vic, each person in our family lost someone at their year level to suicide.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Sad story. Mental illness is a terrible beast. It's a sad article but good article that is bringing awareness to mental health. Well done Lucas Webb and the family of his friend for sharing this story.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting that and well done to Lukas for sharing such a difficult story.

Hopefully it can assist in driving conversation and increase the willingness of those in need of assistance seeking it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is an important article for two reasons. Firstly while we're all naturally preoccupied with our players on field efforts, with form slumps, whos improving and who's not etc, this stops me in my tracks, reminding me that these are such very young men with all the things going on in their lives that comes with that. We're often not privy to the upheavals and griefs such as these that affect players on the field. I am proud and relieved to hear Lukas was supported by the club as much as possible.

Secondly, the ripple effect of suicide spreads so far. My son was at a bbq a few years ago and a girl there was weepy & had too much to drink. I think we've all been to those parties, and all seen this kind of thing which is normally just something to be a bit embarrassed about in the cold light of day. My son and a couple of friends drove her to her family, waiting to see her go (apparently safely) inside, but hours later heard the shocking news that she'd taken her life. The guilt at not foreseeing this (though how could you?) was very haunting and took a long time for that group of friends to get over.

So kudos to The Age and Lukas for bringing these things to the surface. what a sad world it can be sometimes.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

12. Thanks Murphy'sLore, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've met Lukas at last years Players sponsors night and he is a terrific young man. It's not surprising to see him open himself up to a very complicated issue. A very touching story and kudos to him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I've lost 2 good mates and my 18yo son has lost 1 recently to this.

When I was Webbs age I wouldn't have had a clue how to deal with the media on this issue. It is a great credit to Lucas to be able to speak out about such a difficult and emotional issue. It's not freakin easy.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lucas and Bonti really have shown a strength in character that belies their age so proud our club is associated with young men who speak out to help the wider community.
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

What a gutsy young bloke . Truly sad story

Post Thanks / Like

A must read and I can't imagine how challenging this young man's life has been over the last couple of years. He has risen in my esteem regardless of his AFL career.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.