Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 3 2016 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Sorry to make this about us, but Adam Treloar was choosing between Richmond & Collingwood. Jesse White the year previous & Aish picked Collingwood, Yarran to Richmond. Yet they're completely sub par. I understand playing at a 'big club' might be fun, but surely winning is more fun. If we were given time slots, fixtures, a block buster game like Good Friday and Friday night games irrespective of form we'd be able to use the 'big crowds' card to recruit players.

Also, these guys are in trouble. Collingwood with Cloke & Swan near the end, and a few at Richmond too. If they're not going to do a proper rebuild, then these guys are in trouble.
    If it were me I would much rather go to a club where there is an opportunity to claim my own bit of history by creating something special from the ground up rather than the latest chapter of a recurring story.

All 22 players in the next bulldog premiership team will be lionised part of our history.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good contest between the GWS and the Swans. Scully is backing up his good game from last week.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Swans remain undefeated and look like they will be right in the mix at the end of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Was a good win. Giants look a goodish side too
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Swans remain undefeated and look like they will be right in the mix at the end of the season.
    They have started well. I thought the chance was there for GWS, but they really couldn't get forward enough.

Sydney are carried by 7 or 8 top class players and they were all the better players again.

Still feel they are vulnerable to any injury concerns as they lack depth. Richards and Grundy are still vital to their defense.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    If it were me I would much rather go to a club where there is an opportunity to claim my own bit of history by creating something special from the ground up rather than the latest chapter of a recurring story.

All 22 players in the next bulldog premiership team will be lionised part of our history.
    Makes you wonder what non-football inducements they gave been offered.

8. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog37 View Post
    Makes you wonder what non-football inducements they gave been offered.
    Probably a few but the attraction of playing in the big games against Carlton, Richmond and Essendon for Collingwood in front of huge crowds is a genuine lure. Two of those clubs are basket cases and the other two are pretty much a shower of shit between them at the moment and the games are a big deal imagine what they'll be like if Essendon ever recover and when the other three are serious contenders again.

Like I say I'd rather build that tradition at a club myself but I can see the allure of it already being there too.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Weitering is playing at an incredible level just 3 games in to his career. He's going to be a good one to watch next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Weitering is playing at an incredible level just 3 games in to his career. He's going to be a good one to watch next week.
    On Boyd and/or Stringer? That's a fair challenge.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We haven't even reached Sunday afternoon yet and all four of the "Big 4" have had their arses handed to them this week.

What a time to be alive.

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Drunken Bum, ratsmac, N/A, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

I've always wondered if the club pushes that as a selling point, i really hope they do because that is the kind of thing we all dream of isn't it being the underdog and clawing your way to the top against all odds and conquering the loathsome enemies that have bullied you forever aided and abetted by the evil corporation that runs the game, being idiolised forever more, giving hope to the downtrodden, a hero forever

It's fairytale stuff every kids dream, surely we're not the only romantics left in the world
    My life is a very complicated drinking game.

Post Thanks / Like

Did I hear Hardwick correctly at his post match presser? He seemed to be saying that Richmond are approaching this year as year 1 of a mini-rebuild!!!

Talk about a complete change of tune.

The press should tear him to shreds this week.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty confident players and their parents/family/friends or managers just play the numbers when it comes to changing clubs, and the numbers suggest you're more chance of reaching the pointy end or getting commercial exposure if you don't play for the Bulldogs.

Callan Ward is the classic example for me. As soon as Sheedy was involved in the GWS franchise Callan was gone, his Dad was an EFC die hard with a bias against the Dogs, aside from our poor contract management the message was out of our hands because Callan's old man would have been all over him leaving to play for the pisshead.

Now that Yarraville is pretty cool, and Footscray is catching up we're not as unfavourable, but we can't discount the appeal for players living in Melbourne's inner east as an attractive option as well.

Post Thanks / Like

And Buckley was paying out on his players' attitude - To me, he didn't come across as taking any responsibility for the loss. When he said "we" he said it in a way that seemed to redefine the first person plural pronoun as not including the speaker. I'm sure he even qualified "we" as "our players" more than once.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Sandliands has collapsed lung - Freo looking like season shot already.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.