Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  46
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob's 300th - Ideas for recognition & packing the joint out.

There was some great work last year with ideas from woofers, notably the March to G for the final which the club heard and ran with. So... Bob's 300th (without resting, injury) is Round 7, Saturday Night vs Adelaide. This reason should be enough for a big crowd. But any ideas that the club should have a think about?

For me, I'd love a short formal flag dropping ceremony. All our 300 game players have their own flag at the Footscray end for home games. How about before breaking the banner, Bob props to see his flag fall along side our other great to a standing ovation. That short moment in history of our club, and for his service, should be more than enough to fill Etihad. I think it's understated and classy (Just like Bob), and far better than the nothing's-plasticky Saints cheap money grab of buying ' Rooey 300' hats for $10 or 'limited edition Rooey 300 jumpers' for $200 and no real moment or memory. Id love to see us all have a real moment as a club and members/fans with Bob.

Any ideas?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Drunken Bum thanked for this post
    Likes GVGjr, 1eyedog, choconmientay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bob's 300th - Ideas for recognition & packing the joint out.

A flag drop would be awesome. Would he be the first to receive the honour while playing?

Post Thanks / Like

Club website shows he has played 294 games after 2 rounds meaning his 300th is in round 8 - the first game away from home and at the G. Maybe it's we practise an early run to the G to celebrate Bob's 300th.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    Club website shows he has played 294 games after 2 rounds meaning his 300th is in round 8 - the first game away from home and at the G. Maybe it's we practise an early run to the G to celebrate Bob's 300th.
    Right you are, I did my math last year and missed it by that much. Maybe an early walk to the G, or could we break tradition and after the game against Adelaide (299th), if he's uninjured, drop the 300 flag after and kick off a week love fest culminating in the walk to the G.

Or rest him until we are back to Etihad.

SoS, yep he'd be the first to have the honour. Would be an historic and memorable moment.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, a March to the G for his 300th would be suitable.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yep, a March to the G for his 300th would be suitable.
    300 metres for 300 games. Fair trade, a shame we can't do the flag drop for it. But I guess a few weeks later is still good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    300 metres for 300 games. Fair trade, a shame we can't do the flag drop for it. But I guess a few weeks later is still good.
    As much as I love Bob, I would be hesitant to make the occasion too big and the game all about him. The Saints went overboard IMO and the players seemed spooked and tentative.

Need to find a balance between showing Bob the love he deserves and getting on with the job at hand.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob is a different cat so using Teds Towel as inspiration I am recommending we go with Bobs Beret. A snappy red white and blue number handed out to the crowd on march day. That would look fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob is such a great footy person, and so well liked and respected, that regardless of what the club chooses to do, it's going to be a big occasion and there will be plenty of media attention in the week leading up to the game.

I don't think Bob would really want anything, other than a full house to cheer on the boys as we snare our 8th consecutive win.

11. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I don't think Bob would really want anything, other than a full house to cheer on the boys as we snare our 8th consecutive win.
    100,000 people at 3:20pm on a Sunday afternoon v Melbourne is probably too big an ask, even for Bob!

13. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I watched St.Kilda making the game all about one man and the actual match seemed 2nd preference to fans and some of the players. Low key recognition is all that is needed. I'm sure Bob would be happy with that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I watched St.Kilda making the game all about one man and the actual match seemed 2nd preference to fans and some of the players. Low key recognition is all that is needed. I'm sure Bob would be happy with that
    I thought St Kilda made it all about money from cheap looking $10 hats and $200 jumpers with a small number on it. Agree with your post, thats why I like the flag dropping, just a shame it's not at Etihad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I thought St Kilda made it all about money from cheap looking $10 hats and $200 jumpers with a small number on it. Agree with your post, thats why I like the flag dropping, just a shame it's not at Etihad.
    Yeah and that. I think some of it went to charity so I won't swipe at them for that however the whole spectacle last week was way over the top.

17. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we'll see the same approach from our marketing department for Bob's 300th - it's unavoidable. Bob is the club's employee and the club is a business. If we don't make money from it we're missing out on an opportunity. It's about how we market it that will set us apart and the quality of whatever we are selling of course.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    I think we'll see the same approach from our marketing department for Bob's 300th - it's unavoidable. Bob is the club's employee and the club is a business. If we don't make money from it we're missing out on an opportunity. It's about how we market it that will set us apart and the quality of whatever we are selling of course.
    The footy club's not-for-profit isn't it?

Obviously it needs revenue sources to maintain itself and it operates in a competitive environment but it's not like it has to worry about it's share price or pay dividends or anything.

Money matters to keep the club afloat, if that's achieved then premierships are top priority.