Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  31
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Second club locked in for proposed China game

Hope the boys have their industrial strength 3M pollution masks ready. Welcome to China.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    My point is we've got to start somewhere and China is as good a market as any.

Wait and see I guess.
    AFL will never take off in China. They are terrible at team sports. If the round ball game can't take off here, even with Xi Jinping being an all out fan and throwing money at their national team, AFL has buckley's. With a one child policy, young people are treated with kid gloves here. They will take one look at an AFL highlights reel and run a mile. I know, because I'm always trying to spruik the game to my friends at my local in Shanghai. They think it's a sport for madmen.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

4. Thanks BornInDroopSt'54, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    AFL will never take off in China. They are terrible at team sports. If the round ball game can't take off here, even with Xi Jinping being an all out fan and throwing money at their national team, AFL has buckley's. With a one child policy, young people are treated with kid gloves here. They will take one look at an AFL highlights reel and run a mile. I know, because I'm always trying to spruik the game to my friends at my local in Shanghai. They think it's a sport for madmen.
    And they'd be right of course. Interesting to get your perspective from China. Maybe enough of an audience could be captured to get a leg in and as the singer Paul Kelly noted about Mabo, from little things big things grow. Maybe they could take AFL as a spectator sport even though they don't see themselves playing? Let's face it, it is the best team sport spectacle on earth, even a single Chinese child could see that surely?
    It must be a different world over there.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    And they'd be right of course. Interesting to get your perspective from China. Maybe enough of an audience could be captured to get a leg in and as the singer Paul Kelly noted about Mabo, from little things big things grow. Maybe they could take AFL as a spectator sport even though they don't see themselves playing? Let's face it, it is the best team sport spectacle on earth, even a single Chinese child could see that surely?
    It must be a different world over there.

Basketball is the game of choice. A lot of that has to do with their love of American stuff. If AFL players start wearing baggy shorts, we might have a shot! And Lin Jong is our marketing weapon!
    Even AFL fans would have to admit, it's bafflingly hard to understand the rules at times.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Collingfilth and ourselves were angling for a Rnd 1 game against each other? Now all of a sudden we're going to China to play Port to count as one of our home games? I'm not a fan of that outcome. Much rather an MCG game against the Pies.

Post Thanks / Like

Short of having our debt wiped I'm not a fan of it, unless the club sincerely believes it will reap future financial benefits from it.

And why do Port get to play all these away games at neutral venues? What makes them so special?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Short of having our debt wiped I'm not a fan of it, unless the club sincerely believes it will reap future financial benefits from it.

And why do Port get to play all these away games at neutral venues? What makes them so special?
    The China game is due to the commitment they signed with the state government etc on playing 11 home games.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The China game is due to the commitment they signed with the state government etc on playing 11 home games.
    Doesn't really answer why they get so many away games at neutral venues, just why they can't give up any home games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Doesn't really answer why they get so many away games at neutral venues, just why they can't give up any home games.
    This. They can't have their cake and eat it too.

If they want to do a deal with the State Government that constrains their fixture, they can't then expect other clubs to do the heavy lifting when they go to pursue other ventures.

Post Thanks / Like

It was reported over the weekend that the Western Bulldogs have shown interest, but the club has confirmed to The Age they have not been in contact with neither Port Adelaide nor the AFL.The Bulldogs are committed to playing either one or two games in Ballarat next season and wouldn't be interested in the China game unless circumstances drastically.
    Full story here
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks Bulldog4life, Twodogs, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Full story here
    Great news, thanks BAD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Full story here
    As much as I would love to see the boys at Pudong airport, I would much rather we somehow manage an extra game in another regional area like Ballarat, Canberra or somewhere somebody cares about what's happening on field.

Ballarat will be a sell out. There is really not much else going on and a lot of neutral supporters will go just for kicks.

Post Thanks / Like

First, they took our land & jobs (They tuk ar jobs!) and now China takes an AFEL game from Australia. Well actually fact checked, they did none of that a stuff except buy a game. Thank god it's not us, it's Port vs Gold Coast in Round 8.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I wouldn't mind it being us. If we weren't already doing Ballarat and Cairns.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.