Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Little Dog Caleb Daniel standing tall in big tasks

link

LUKE Beveridge knew he had a problem when Sam Mitchell was having too much influence during the opening quarter of last weekend's thrilling battle against Hawthorn.

It's a scenario most coaches have faced, but in a typically attacking approach, Beveridge entrusted Caleb Daniel - a player with just 13 AFL games to his name - to go head-to-head with one of the competition's most damaging midfielders.

Not only did the 19-year-old limit Mitchell's influence, he won plenty of the ball, and got the Bulldogs back in the game after a goalless opening term.

"It's a feather in my cap to be given such a role, it was good fun and I loved the challenge of it," Daniel told AFL.com.au.

"'Bevo' really trusted me in that role and it's something I really enjoyed and was excited about."

In a finals-like atmosphere, Daniel played his best game for the club, picking up a career-high 29 possessions, while limiting Mitchell to season-low 29 touches.

In an enthralling contest, Beveridge and Alastair Clarkson believed the youngster had the better of the three-time All Australian, giving Daniel five AFLCA votes to Mitchell's two.

Despite the Dogs' three-point loss, Daniel took plenty more away from the game and was unlucky to miss out on a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination.

"I've looked up to Sam Mitchell for a fair chunk of my life because he's a pretty good footballer," Daniel, who is averaging 22 disposals per game in 2016, said.

"I learnt just how smart he is with running patterns and how he distributes the ball.

"I've tried to model my ball use on him by being able to use both sides because he better than everyone with that.

"There's no area he can't kick it to as he kicked some crazy passes around the body, and he has exceptional vision."

It was a good afternoon for the Dogs' little men, with Luke Dahlhaus also having his best game for the season and picking up a game-high eight coaches' votes.

Daniel said the dynamic playmaker had been a major inspiration in his short time at Whitten Oval.

"We're not overly blessed with height Lukey and I," Daniel said.

"It's good he's getting hands on it for the team and for us little blokes around the League because we can see someone short and not daunted by height factor."

And while Dahlhaus attracted cult figure status when he arrived at the club sporting dreadlocks, the 19-year-old South Australian dismissed talk he was approaching the same popularity due to his diminutive statue and trademark helmet.

"I guess the crowd is starting to get around me a little bit, but it's probably more on the back of the team's performance," Daniel said.

"I don't think it's too much different with me than Marcus Bontempelli, Luke Dahlhaus, Jakey Stringer or Bob Murphy.

"I wouldn't say I'm a cult figure just yet."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Little Dog Caleb Daniel standing tall in big tasks

He is.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely is.

Post Thanks / Like

Another great game last night. His first quarter was sensational. One minute in the forward line and next in the backline.

I think he is becoming a bit of a cult figure.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sensational little player becoming a very important part of our team. Every time he gets the ball you expect something positive to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

I think he is becoming a bit of a cult figure.
    I think he already is. My favourite player on our list.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on winning the NAB Rising Star for this Round Caleb.

Post Thanks / Like

Well deserved
    Very smart footballer

Post Thanks / Like

Loved his cool mark in between three Carlton players. Lack of height has its disadvantages but also advantages. He can turn on a pinhead and when he picks someone out, you feel so confident it will go as directed.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

This kid will be one of the great draft bargains in AFL drafting history. I will say this with no referring to facts or who was taken before him or anything like that but Caleb Daniel will be the best player from his draft.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

12. Likes chef liked this post