Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Macrae to the Half Back Flank?

Ok, hear me out. He's going just fine on the wing, I love his contested footy and to take his turn when he needs to. The issue that many people have with Jack's game is taking the first option and not dinky kicks to a disadvantage. We are down Bob for the year & JJ 16 weeks.

So I wonder if it'd be a good move if he was moved to the half back flank with a licence to run, attack and use that great long kicking to advantage. His contested work is good for the defensive side, he's quick enough, tall and mobile enough and I wonder if it will help his game with options and using his great kicking skills to full advantage. Could it be a good move for him and could it be a good move for the side in the interim?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Macrae to the Half Back Flank?

Bevo mentioned after the game that we've trained an played players in the pre-season to play the high half back role

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Bevo mentioned after the game that we've trained an played players in the pre-season to play the high half back role
    I know from a private chat another player specifically trained for this role now you mention it, but cant/wont spill state secrets. With some of the question marks over Jack, I'm wondering if we get a win for the team and a win for Jack's development.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Is he really a run and carry player? He has the Murphy/Mackie/Birchall body type but I think he's a bit one paced.

The best Macrae has been as a link up player that gets into good spots around the contest but he's not really a guy who gets out in space and actually runs with the ball. I wouldn't mind seeing Jong trialled as the high defender purely because he has that blistering pace and we've seen him run and carry the football.

5. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't have the penetration in his kicking to be a real weapon off the half back. I like his vision and work rate though, so I can see him being rotated through there at times.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Great minds BT. I was thinking exactly this last night at the game. I really think his disposal would benefit from that extra bit of time you get down back, and, let's face it, we need some silk down there right now. Good call.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Great minds BT. I was thinking exactly this last night at the game. I really think his disposal would benefit from that extra bit of time you get down back, and, let's face it, we need some silk down there right now. Good call.
    That's scary, for you!

Matty Boyd went from calls to sack him in 2014 with similar criticisms (kicking inefficiency, options etc), to nearly All Australian last year with the same move to HBF from mid ground. As you say, the little bit of extra time to make the right choice and extra time to use his kicking could be just what Jack needs, like Matty. Except Jack is quicker, taller and a better, longer kick. Could be a blessing in disguise for the team and Jack. If it doesn't work after a month, so be it. But it seems more reward than risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey Williams is our man, if he can't do it no one can! (He played that exact position many times albeit at far lower levels in the last few years)

Post Thanks / Like

In his first season I saw him playing half back in a VFL match at Torquay and he had a fine game showing plenty of dash. Lower level and a while back I know but I think he would do very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    Bailey Williams is our man, if he can't do it no one can! (He played that exact position many times albeit at far lower levels in the last few years)
    Interesting that Caleb earmarked him as potentially taking the role. Always love a good debut!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

One of the reasons murph and JJ are good at the job is because they can run fast and kick well at the same time. Can Macrae?

Post Thanks / Like

Never takes the first option and his kicking off HB would be a liability. I think he is best suited inside but this year with Libba back he has been playing more forward wing which IMO he has struggled.

Post Thanks / Like

Could Stevens somehow eat Daniel so we have the tenacity and confidence of Koby and the ball using ability and decision making of Daniel?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

15. Likes N/A liked this post