Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Embattled law firm Slater and Gordon pulls Western Bulldogs sponsorship

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    They bought out a large English law firm which had a lot more debt attached to it than they realized/had been told about. It looks to me that they saw the sale price and forgot to do their due diligence

Its another shining example of why companies should stick to their core business (what they are supposed to be doing) and leave money making to the banks and financial institutions.
    Hehe yeah, you would think being lawyers to begin with would suffice. Those guys charge you just to read an email.

2. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    His son works there.
    Patrick Gordon works for Robert Stary I believe, not Slater & Gordon.

http://www.starylaw.com/melbourne-1/patrick-gordon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Thanks for that TD. So where do you see it going from here for Slater and Gordon?
    Don't really know Easty.

Quote Originally Posted by dadsgirl16 View Post
    I didn't think PG was the "Gordon" part in the Slater and Gordon??
    I believe the original Gordon died when his plane went down during a bombing raid in WWII.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad some clarity around the S&G sponsorship has been sorted out for everyone. It just goes to prove that one inaccurate report can lead to a heap of speculation.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

They bought out a large English law firm which had a lot more debt attached to it than they realized/had been told about. It looks to me that they saw the sale price and forgot to do their due diligence

Its another shining example of why companies should stick to their core business (what they are supposed to be doing) and leave money making to the banks and financial institutions.
    I thought what did them in was a stroke of the pen change in a compensation law in the UK that cut the lawyers out.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some background about Slater and Gordon

https://www.slatergordon.com.au/firm/our-history
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Hehe yeah, you would think being lawyers to begin with would suffice. Those guys charge you just to read an email.
    Yes I've heard that they do charge quite a bit.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    I thought what did them in was a stroke of the pen change in a compensation law in the UK that cut the lawyers out.
    Yeah that's a pretty accurate back of the envelope assessment. Which lead to a write down of the goodwill on the UK investment and led to S&G being critically over leveraged. This obviously raised concerns with the banks about their ability to service debt, which could in turn lead to a call on it.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Yeah that's a pretty accurate back of the envelope assessment. Which lead to a write down of the goodwill on the UK investment and led to S&G being critically over leveraged. This obviously raised concerns with the banks about their ability to service debt, which could in turn lead to a call on it.

Not many companies would recover to hit like this I wouldn't think.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Not many companies would recover to hit like this I wouldn't think.
    It's going to be very difficult, especially as it's a highly mature business with limited revenue upside prospects in its primary markets. The positive is its core business is still profitable which could make it an acquisition target, or they may be able to do some debt restructuring with their syndicated debt providers, but in reality they're in some trouble. The biggest problem is they would have nothing like the assets required to cover their obligations, and that's a problem for all parties involved.

Post Thanks / Like

It's going to be very difficult, especially as it's a highly mature business with limited revenue upside prospects in its primary markets. The positive is its core business is still profitable which could make it an acquisition target, or they may be able to do some debt restructuring with their syndicated debt providers, but in reality they're in some trouble. The biggest problem is they would have nothing like the assets required to cover their obligations, and that's a problem for all parties involved.
    Getting hit with a class action by Maurice Blackburn isn't going to help.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Getting hit with a class action by Maurice Blackburn isn't going to help.
    I don't take that to seriously. Ambulance chasers trying to get publicity over their ambulance chasing peer. You don't have a case just because you lose your investment, but I doubt the sort of people signing up would get that.

There's questions about whether they willfully ignored the advice of their M&A advisor, but that's not a crime, and you could easily argue their EBITDA multiple of 6.9 is insane, but again that's not necessarily a crime. MB would need to prove they knew Quindell had questionable accounting practices that could impact its market value, but it's unlikely they did given it's crippled S&G in turn, whether they ignored some obvious warning signs is probably what will be tested in a hearing.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't take that to seriously. Ambulance chasers trying to get publicity over their ambulance chasing peer. You don't have a case just because you lose your investment, but I doubt the sort of people signing up would get that.

There's questions about whether they willfully ignored the advice of their M&A advisor, but that's not a crime, and you could easily argue their EBITDA multiple of 6.9 is insane, but again that's not necessarily a crime. MB would need to prove they knew Quindell had questionable accounting practices that could impact its market value, but it's unlikely they did given it's crippled S&G in turn, whether they ignored some obvious warning signs is probably what will be tested in a hearing.
    The major distraction, bad PR, the costs, time of personnel to defend it, barristorial costs etc... win, lose or draw that's just one more problem. If MB can cripple SG, that leaves them the biggest, strongest and major trade union lawyer firm by a fair way. There's great money with union clients.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Ambulance chasers . Feels like I'm reading an Andrew Bolt article

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Ambulance chasers . Feels like I'm reading an Andrew Bolt article
    What a valuable contribution. Perhaps should could draw upon your incredible intellect and business experience to enlighten the WOOF community as to the situation at S&G?