Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  58
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 6 2016 vs North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    One thing going our way is they have had two consecutive 6 day breaks including a trip to Queensland.
    This was an issue about 5-6 years ago. In this day and age of professionalism, clubs have the resources to pay for conditioning and high performance full time coaches. Not every team had full time conditioning coaches six years ago - especially a team like North Melbourne who have been under resourced for years.

If it's good enough for professional European footballers to recover only three days after playing a midweek Champions League fixture in a different country, then it's good enough for a team to recover from a six day break traveling four hours in total on a plane.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone has to explain how Cunnington is playing in this game .
    What an awful decision

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    What an awful decision
    Disgraceful.
    Will be even sweeter when we smash them.

4. Likes bornadog, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    What an awful decision
    It's ok, Ian Collins is calling the afl umpires and tribunal as we speak.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Likes F'scary, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    What about Jong as a defender? Has size, a leap, pace and runs through brick walls. Has struggled in the midfield since coming back in and doesn't get enough of the footy to have much of an influence there. North would have the tallest forward line around so he would be useful down there i think.
    I would worry about his disposal a bit down there. He's better off chasing and creative pressure in the forward line. I'd have him midfield as well as a bit of cover for our defense. But as a half back or full back I would be a bit nervous.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely wouldn't want Jong at HB.

Footy has really changed. His speed, strength and willingness under a high ball would be great, but he is a panic merchant. HB is for guys with poise.

If he isn't going to make it as a forward with stints in the mid, he just isn't going to make it. Our team is perfect for him. Defensive intensity forward, take his turn in the mid.

I feel because of this profile/cult status fans kinda expect more from Jong. Think of it this way, we got him as a rookie pick. He is now in the best 22-25 of a top 4-6 side. He is batting above so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I definitely wouldn't want Jong at HB.

Footy has really changed. His speed, strength and willingness under a high ball would be great, but he is a panic merchant. HB is for guys with poise.

If he isn't going to make it as a forward with stints in the mid, he just isn't going to make it. Our team is perfect for him. Defensive intensity forward, take his turn in the mid.

I feel because of this profile/cult status fans kinda expect more from Jong. Think of it this way, we got him as a rookie pick. He is now in the best 22-25 of a top 4-6 side. He is batting above so far.
    Was more thinking as a tall defender not a JJ replacement off HB. Bevo doesn't like to have too many talls down there so I can't see him using Roughead & Hamling down there this week. Jong can play tall & could be a wildcard for us down there. I think Dale is a good candidate for a role off HB if he was ready, mentally not up to it at this stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    So how do we match up against their inform forward line?

Who gets Petrie, Brown, Waite, Higgins, Thomas and Harvey?
    Depends on whether Hamling is selected

Adams on Petrie
    Morris/ Wood on Waite
    Hamling/ Morris/ Wood on Brown

However as others have alluded to match ups aren't necessarily critical to our structure with the main focus being on our defensive pressure across the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

North are equally concerned about this game. It's their first real test as well [I don't count their round 1 win against the Crows so much as anything can happen round 1]. They look at our game against the hawks and they know we bring the noise. We look at their list and go, ohh ahh Waite, Higgins, Boomer and then they look at ours and go ohh ahh Stringer and Bont and they start to feel shaky. They should be very afraid of Bevo though - he's the key weapon.

If our backs hold their nerve our ground pressure will destroy North. The game will be won before the start of the game though.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

12. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    North are equally concerned about this game.
    The players and coach fear no one.

The only ones concerned are WOOFERS and other supporters.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Bont carrying something? Not the same player this year, a good quarter here and there but thats it.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Bont carrying something? Not the same player this year, a good quarter here and there but thats it.
    Preseason was hampered by surgery and didn't start running till after Xmas. He is getting better every week.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Thanks anfo27 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

North coming off a 30 degree day in Queensland last week as well.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

18. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What about Jong as a defender? Has size, a leap, pace and runs through brick walls. Has struggled in the midfield since coming back in and doesn't get enough of the footy to have much of an influence there. North would have the tallest forward line around so he would be useful down there i think.
    Defending like that doesn't seem to be a natural instinct with him. It might be worth a try but I think his better value is as an offensive player.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

In defence you want good decision makers under pressure. For all his attributes, Jong's poise is not one of them.

One thing Bevo obviously does rate is Jong's ability to impact clearances by being third bloke up. I'm surprised opposition teams aren't a wake up to it....he's really effective at it.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.