Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Inside 50 and how we can improve on our opportunities

I think that we should learn the 20 metre kick trick.

Very often the ball is hand-balled back and forth under pressure somewhere in the forward 50 until we eventually lose possession. It is too difficult to kick for goal. The players should make a short kick to one of a few nominated spots near the 10 metre square (say either side of the top of the square). Our guys will be expecting it, their guys will not.

I expect that half the time one of our guys will mark the ball and have a shot on goal. Most of the other time the ball will spill to ground and the fight will continue. There will be the odd occasion that the opposition will mark the ball.

This would be a real chaos ball. The ball travels 20 meters very quickly.

As far as code words go, maybe the guys should learn to speak Chinese.

Post Thanks / Like

So frustrating last night in this area.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I think close our eyes and try to kick a banana along the ground might be a good start. Taking a contested mark might be the next step once we master the blindfolded banana.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I think close our eyes and try to kick a banana along the ground might be a good start. Taking a contested mark might be the next step once we master the blindfolded banana.
    We took a few in the final quarter but they are really not to common with us.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Beveridge is also frustrated with our inability to convert inside 50's.

Is it game plan related? Player related?

If it is game plan related is Gia under the pump or is it the midfield coach, King?

We have pretty much had the same coaching group (bar the senior coach) since the BMAC first came on board.

Do we need a change up with new ideas from outside the club?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Beveridge is also frustrated with our inability to convert inside 50's.

Is it game plan related? Player related?

If it is game plan related is Gia under the pump or is it the midfield coach, King?

We have pretty much had the same coaching group (bar the senior coach) since the BMAC first came on board.

Do we need a change up with new ideas from outside the club?
    Good questions and thought starters. I've been wondering if our attacking style is having an impact on our skill execution.

As for assistants, I actually think they are working together very well and while they might benefit from some extra resources or different points of view at this stage I'd probably lean towards adding to the group rather than moving anyone on.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

After last night against Norf and since Beveridge is a coach who is not afraid to experiment, I would look to get Toyd and Redpath into the forward line together and see how that goes for a few weeks.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

TBH I think we miss Crameri more than we admit. Jake has to play out in front more. The high bombs to a contest have to stop. I don't think you can blame anyone else but the player kicking when so many set shots don't get converted- Jong again, Campbell.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughy stalled the Roughassaince with his missed goal to break my heart. Bad Dog Roughy. That's what you were there for buddy!
    Picken's snap for goal missing the whole kit and kaboodle. Stringer fading left. We had our chances.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

What do we want to see tonight in this department? Hopefully Jack can get some good contested marks up there.

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't want to see is Stringer jumping early against 3 defenders, and then the opposition waltzing it out over and over. Lock it in!

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    What I don't want to see is Stringer jumping early against 3 defenders, and then the opposition waltzing it out over and over. Lock it in!
    If he didn't jump for the mark,(early or not) the opposition would just mark it anyway. He needs a big body down there helping out. I don't blame him when he was the only tall in the forward line.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If he didn't jump for the mark,(early or not) the opposition would just mark it anyway. He needs a big body down there helping out. I don't blame him when he was the only tall in the forward line.
    Why can't he spoil his opponent when behind?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Why can't he spoil his opponent when behind?
    How many times did he go the big screamer? Twice I think last week, big deal it doesn't matter.

He got outmarked by Scott Thompson and Tarrant, simple they are bigger than him. He shouldn't have to play on these players.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    How many times did he go the big screamer? Twice I think last week, big deal it doesn't matter.

He got outmarked by Scott Thompson and Tarrant, simple they are bigger than him. He shouldn't have to play on these players.
    Scott Thompson- 193cm 93kg
    Jake Stringer- 192cm 91kg

Perhaps Stringer could try playing in front for once.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships