Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors - Round 6 2016

This is the round 6 2016 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against North Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Round 6 2016

Bank em. Anch em.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

B:

No major injuries

A:

Team Anching
    Umpiring
    Embarrassing ourselves on prime time
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers-
    -Hunter and Macrae were excellent, stood out as the only two hitting targets
    -Nullified Goldstein, Campbell in particular was good around the contest
    -Bont didn't look fit tonight but battled hard

Anchors
    -Ball use was disgusting. How many times can we bomb it on the heads of guys who are 6 foot
    -Team selection- I get we like having the pressure of small guys but if we're going to continually bomb it in, lets at least play someone tall enough to stand under the footy and bring it to ground
    -Kicking for goal- pretty obvious

5. Thanks GVGjr, Drunken Bum thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    1. Hunter- the speed with which he has become an elite distributor is amazing. From fringe player to elite in less than 22 games.
    2. My self control -how my TV did not end up with a remote control wedged in the screen is a testament to my growing maturity. Fatherhood, it's a big deal.
    3. Macrae.. I ride him hard at times, but its because he is just so important to us. He is indefatigable. He just always fronts up for the challenge. At times he's too cute with his execution, but almost ironically ,tonight, he was both hard with his intent and smart with his execution (on most occasions). Pity many others weren't as precise.

Anchors
    1. Stevens.. for all of his grunt work, he is so flighty and unreliable in heavy traffic as well as without pressure.
    2. Our goalkicking (sorry comrade! ) on a few occasions in each of the 4 Qtrs if we had have taken our chances North would've wilted.. they're just that fragile. B
    3. Friday night Dogs games. If we're gonna do that.. and invariably on the big stage we've shown that we will, then my weekend is shot to shit... and with 2 kids under 3 I'm not really afforded the ability to be a miserable git.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    Macrae and Hunter
    Tom Campbell did ok against Goldstein.
    16 point loss when not a lot went well.

Anchors
    Game day tactics - why were North defenders continually outnumbering and marking uncontested ?
    Accuracy in front of goal costs us games - woofers have bemoaned this for weeks, coaches listen up ffs !
    The deliberate out of bounds interpretations - pathetic decision against North.

Post Thanks / Like

B: Hunter, Macrae, Picken. Each played like two men tonight.
    A: Adcock, Dale, Roberts. Bad selection choices.
    Last edited by F'scary; 30-04-2016 at 12:13 AM. Reason: spell Macrae correctly out of respect.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    Bankers
    2. My self control -how my TV did not end up with a remote control wedged in the screen is a testament to my growing maturity. Fatherhood, it's a big deal.
    Haha. Likewise my friend. 3 years ago I'd have been screaming at the TV.

Bankers.
    Hunter like most have said easily our best tonight.
    Campbell. Cementing that #1 Ruck spot. Still needs some work but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Anchors
    Decision making. Just dumb. Overuse of the handpass so many times to players under the pump. I haven't seen so many poor decisions in one game since Macca was here
    Foot skills. Kind of falls into above. Shooting at goal still a huge issue. Really missed our injured trio tonight. Ball use out of back half was deplorable.
    Forward line structure. We've done well with repeat, repeat, repeat entries to get a lot of goals so far this season. When that's not happening we have nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers - lachie hunter has become elite
    - Jack Macrae, his dinkie kicks drive us nuts, but he was very good tonight
    - Tom Campbell , really did well, but needs to convert .
    Anchors - The decision making and execution all night was awful.
    - The non playing of Redpath( MC stuffed up there)
    - couple of our young guys battled , Dale , Roberts , Jong .

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

We kept Norf to a low score even while poor.

Dahl- Fought the good fight.

Hunter- Didn't have much hurt factor but won the ball well.

Anchors

Goal kicking- Local footballers around me were laughing and having $2 bets everytime we lined up for goal. It was embarrassing they were right on most occasions.

Roughead- We'd be better off playing with 17 than have him forward. The couple of times a season he marks inside 50m he has 0% of ever converting unless he's on the goal line.

Stringer- Needs a long spell in the reserves to rediscover the urgency AFL needs.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Hunter running and distributing, tried to replace JJ, Murphy & Suckling all by himself
    Boyd stepped up as well
    Goldstein won the hitouts but was well held around the ground

Anchors

Forward 50 entries - have to find a way to hit a target or put it to our advantage. We can't rely on midfield scrums and forward 50 stoppages for our goals
    Roberts - brought in to kill the high ball but wasn't effective
    Forward setup - we left Stringer outnumbered as the marking target too often, Roughead & Campbell should have been there more often to make a contest out of it
    Last edited by boydogs; 30-04-2016 at 04:30 PM.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

13. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    -Hunter & Biggs: Worked really hard to cover the loss of the many half backs we have. Struggled without either having the pace or long kick the injured guys have to break the lines, but were still good. made a few blues but we had few options coming out of defence and atleast it was generally because they were trying something. Also I am usually a critic of Hunter's handballing but I thought it was quite impressive tonight so hopefully he has been working on it.
    -Morris: I was concerned heading into this season that he might drop off rather quickly but he has proven me wrong and been outstanding. Very pleasing performance again.
    -Mclean & Macrae: Two of the only players that were both creative and effective forward of centre and both amassed quite a bit of the ball.
    -Crowd: 47,000 from two supposed minnows is a good crowd and a good claim for prime time. The match wasn't the clean fast high scoring affair many wanted but atleast it was competitive unlike most of the crap we have seen this year.

Anchors:
    -Stringer: So dissapointed with him today. Just constant stupid positioning. Why he isnsists to play from behind all match when he is so good on the move and was clearly outmatched in the air baffles me, although he did do some good work early in the game up the field. We needed more from him today instead of constantly looking for the glory run into goal out the back.
    -Aimless forward entries: Long bomb to tall key defenders every single time. Would it kill us to lower the eyes and actually out it to the advantage of our many smaller guys? I feel like Daniel would have made a huge difference here.
    -Too many players missing: Adcock, Dale, Roughead, Roberts etc. all had disappointing games where they didn't do much and when they did it wasn't overly impressive. Stands out after so many team performances.

Surprised by some of the comments on here saying we erred by not playing Redpath and complimenting Campbells performance.

Redpath would not have fixed our forwardline tonight with the way we delivered it, like Stringer he is not a high ball marking forward. However he also may have lead which could have worked, but i don't see his inclusion making a major difference unless we changed the way we thought through our entries.

Campbell worked ok in the ruck against Goldstein but his set shots were pathetic and for such a big guy he often struggles to impat marking contests around the ground. We really needed him to make more of a contest tonight on numerous occasions and he failed to stop North taking the mark or even have an impact on a high ball. I like him but apart from the occasional beautiful clunk he tends to juggle his marks if he even touches them, and is often out bodied too easily for such a huge guy.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

15. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Our defensive structures held up pretty well all things considered even though some of our defensive match ups were highly questionable.

Hunter knows how to find the ball. Just wish he was cleaner with ball.

Dahlhaus is a work horse

Anchors

Bevo and the MC had a stinker

A game plan of just bombing it and hacking it forward doesn't hold you in good stead with a midget forward line

Our ball handling was embarrassingly bad.. So many fumbles, dropped marks, etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers: Hunter was very good. Marcus did some good things. Keeping them to 61 was very good.

Anchors: Set shots. Centre bounces. This was not the night to go soft in the middle. We were not as hard at it as we usually are. Allowing North to fill up their highlights reel with run-down tackles.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Hunter - hard running results in getting to a lot more contests. This is why he gets so much possession.

Campbell - he kept goldy quiet which is a good achievement but he still has plenty to improve on.

Staying in the match - it felt like we were never a chance to win most of the game but we still managed to stay within touching distance of the lead. I really believe our injured players we had out cost us.

Anchors

Long bombs forward - it won't work if we don't have anyone good enough to take contested marks or at least bring the ball to ground, but we did it time and time again.

Adcock - I can see why Brisbane delisted him.

Roberts - it was a big ask to come in to play against the probably in form forward set up in the competition, but he wasn't up to the task. Wrong choice MC.